Ah, I see, these are for vehicles owned outside the fire service. Those Austin ATV's were everywhere, very useful and lasted well. I had one at one time , GLR 829,

not sure where it is now. 

Thanks Ian

• Like 1
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to see you back Ben and in good form. When I was wooing the to-be Mrs WW she worked in a greengrocery shop. Which meant 5 days a week she was out at 5am, down to Sneinton fruit and veg with

Of course it wasn't all hard graft,sometimes you got to meet some really nice people like this rep at a construction equipment show in Derbyshire for Duo Africa     I'm the one on

Re Troggs' mention of Harry Hyman being our areas executive council member , I went to a union meeting one night, in Centrals' bar, there was a long debate about pay and conditions chaired by Harry. E

Re Ian123's great photo of Blue watch, Central,1938, I mixed up Hull City Police/Fire Brigade with Nottingham, I don't think Nottingham was ever a Police Fire Brigade.

My apologies to those I misled.

It's pre-war AFS uniform, the 'sergeants ' markings would be in red. Same period, 1938 to August 1941.

The I think the guy, dead centre is George Hodson, who was Deputy Chief at the time of the Dakins fire , 1969, and soon after Chief Fire Officer. I remember  him telling me he was in the AFS.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I can guess which photo it is, Tuesday 21st Jan 1969.Albert Smiths' funeral following the Dakins fire.

For some reason, all I get is a cross in a black square and lots of numbers. This happens a few times, computers winning 3 falls to 1 submission !

• Like 1

The photo has now appeared !      

I can name quite a few people in the line up from the left, yours truly being no3.

The fire was on the early morning of Thursday, coroners enquiry Friday morning and funeral Tuesday the next week.

No other enquiry.

I had made notes ready for an enquiry ( as it was me who found Albert unconscious ) and after years researching bit by bit, finally completed a full dossier on the fire last year.

Not sure why, I just like research and spotting the Nottstalgia site was a real boon.

• Like 1

Brilliant Fog..yourself and the crews present at Dakins..and all other shouts..put yourself in danger everytime. Serving and retired Emergency Services get the thumbs up everytime.RIP to Albert..who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I too feel close to the Central building..hope the photo didn't upset anyone..ian.

• Like 1

Yes, Central was quite a place...….

Re the chiefs car, I sometimes think it was a Singer Vogue, but I've just checked and it was a Humber Sceptre, in a brilliant deep red/crimson. Gauges all over the dashboard, I wanted one !

Probably a series 1a, I'm sure it was a 'C' reg. We seemed to have had a link with Rootes vehicles. A few Commer fire engines over the years, Hillman and Humber cars. I suspect it was a Masonic link, George Hodson was open (rare in those days) about being a senior mason.

Washed and polished it a few times !

• Like 1

Will be visiting that museum this summer, haven't been for a very long time. End of May/early June is the 100th anniversary of Citroen cars, 1000 Citroens going, including my DS. Transport museum a must visit !

Car fans !... It's a 1973 D Super 5. Mine 10 years this year. Fast comfortable travel, manual 5 speed box (column change), self levelling headlights, steering long range lamps, the 3 year restoration became a real headache but I got there. No fairies doing magic work through the night like car SOS  !

Saw one in King'sLynn Saturday market place in 1957. Bright yellow , when most cars were old black things, I knew I  had to have one. First job in 1965, the boss's mistress took me and another lad on a 70 mile trip to a job in one, I was really hooked then !

Good things worth waiting for ……….tax and Mot exempt too 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, fogrider said:

Car fans !... It's a 1973 D Super 5. Mine 10 years this year. Fast comfortable travel, manual 5 speed box (column change), self levelling headlights, steering long range lamps, the 3 year restoration became a real headache but I got there. No fairies doing magic work through the night like car SOS  !

Saw one in King'sLynn Saturday market place in 1957. Bright yellow , when most cars were old black things, I knew I  had to have one. First job in 1965, the boss's mistress took me and another lad on a 70 mile trip to a job in one, I was really hooked then !

Good things worth waiting for ……….tax and Mot exempt too 

The jacking system was unusual. You put the jack in the sill socket, started the engine, moved a lever and it lifted itself up. Unfortunately I had to jack it up on a hot day and the jack sank into the tarmac. I had to find a conventional one to lift it up!

• Like 1

The one I drove had various height suspension, i think it also was capable of having a wheel changed without the use of a jack. Fingertip steering and brakes that would throw you through the windscreen if you as much as sneezed on the brake pedal!!

Edit, sorry for the repeat, didn't notice Phil's post, dur!

• Like 1

First post, so be gentle with me!  Back on topic - I remember a big fire at Jersey Kapwood (?) on Alfreton Road - would have been 1975/6.

Also, I well remember the fire at the Forest ground, 1968 v Leeds.  I was in the East Stand (now Brian Clough stand), and saw it develop from a few wisps of smoke to the massive fire - thankfully, nobody seriously hurt.  I remember getting home early and telling my parents about the fire, and my Dad saying "you know, I thought it was foggy when I drove over Trent Bridge"! 

1 hour ago, Gary Baldy said:

Also, I well remember the fire at the Forest ground, 1968 v Leeds.  I was in the East Stand

I was there that day too, stood in my usual spot in the East Stand level with the 18 yard box half way up the terraces.

I still don't know what started the fire, was it an electrical fault.

What I do remember is that Forest did not win any of the games that they played at Meadow Lane after the fire the upside was that we could stay in the Magpie longer before the match.

I went to a fire in Forests' ground, not the really big one, it was in the seating area at the West end (city end), all under those wooden seats was piles of fag packets, newspapers, crisp packets etc etc, a fag end dropped down there was taken as the cause. Once the wooden seat frames got going, that was it. 

I was told the big fire was the same, but can't be certain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It certainly did Ian, was it vandalism or was it manufactured so there were no obstacles to building the Pheonix park?

Rog

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...