Someone mentioned the fire at Pearsons the other day- besides that one i can only recall two big fires besides that one- Moons garage and a paint ( ? ) wharehouse behind the hole in the wall pub. Anyone recall any large fires?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to see you back Ben and in good form. When I was wooing the to-be Mrs WW she worked in a greengrocery shop. Which meant 5 days a week she was out at 5am, down to Sneinton fruit and veg with

Of course it wasn't all hard graft,sometimes you got to meet some really nice people like this rep at a construction equipment show in Derbyshire for Duo Africa     I'm the one on

Re Troggs' mention of Harry Hyman being our areas executive council member , I went to a union meeting one night, in Centrals' bar, there was a long debate about pay and conditions chaired by Harry. E

There was a big fire at a factory in Old Basford, maybe in the 50's. I remember it cos it was nr my grandma's house, she lived on Cheltenham St. A nightwatchman died, I think.

1975'ish big fire at Chilwell depot, mentioned elsewhere here.

late 1970s, Large factory fire, Castle Blvd. Magnet Joinery comes to mind?

Demolished and built MFI in its place (now that's gone)

There was also a large fire that started in a Chinese restaurant in the centre of Mansfield. 1980s?

Railway sleepers at the storage depot near Lenton Junction sometime in the 70s. I remember seeing Lenton Flats silhouetted in the glow.

Going back even further to the mid fifties when I was very young. We had been to Central Market where my Dad bought an apple tree (a Cox) and when we emerged there was a massive commotion nearby. It was the council rent office on fire. It was just around the corner then. I might have been young but I well remember huge flames and the firemen holding all these women back who were shouting 'Burn! Burn!.

mick

From my time in the army, the fire at Chilwell was known as FOFAC. If you needed any kit, the storeman would usually say this. It meant Eff off fire at Chilwell. A more modern variant is FOFAD - Fire at Donnington. No chance of new kit of whatever type.

Anyone remember the fire at Forest in '68? I wasn't at the match myself, but living at Trent Bridge I can remember the smoke cloud and fire engines. Thankfully no casualties but the Main stand was completely burnt down.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bedford TK pump 999 STV,    Commer ET, RTV 999,    Dennis F12 Pump Escape, UAU 999. 

The F12 still exists, an enthusiast in the Sunderland area has it. First machine I ever went to a fire in, early July 1968.

Great days, great days...……..wipes a tear...…..

• Like 1

First one, the grey one, is a Fordson 7V escape carrying unit, around 1940/42. Ford V8 side valve. Grey paint used to show they were part of the Defence of the Realm equipment, rather than the "red engines" of the main fire brigades..

Used to own one for a few years when I was really into WW2 stuff (AFS and NFS). Quite rare now.

• Like 1

Here's one for you Ian, not one I've worked on though, Ruston Bucyrus 52B 52 ton on steam shovel, difference between shovel and excavator/digger is shovel buckets face forward and excavators/diggers face back towards the cab, but you probably knew that anyway, think I've got a couple more pics somewhere,I'll find em out

P1050805.jpg

Rog

• Like 1