I was born and brought up in Nottingham. Born July 1961. I have gone away from Nottingham for some 3 decades but I still consider it my home city. I do visit frequently, and for my tuppence worth, you only appreciate Nottingham when you have lived elsewhere. A small part of what I do is a military historian. I do battlefield tours and write reviews for military history books. Not profitable but enjoyable.

There were some posts saying that there are not enough memories posted. I understand what those posters were saying. I have contributed little in the way of information. Just vague memories here and there. I have had a long think about this, and I feel that I am one of the regulars here who just adore the wealth of information coming in. I've forgotten exactly how Radford Road looked like in 1970. I cannot recall exactly how Arkwright Street looked when I was at Mundella and preferred to walk to Market Square on a sunny afternoon rather than take the bus. The main reason why I look at this site is because my memories are illustrated. With photographs, maps and lists of properties and names. I absorb this information like a sponge. It is a total joy to see photographs of places that I have loved, and which have been altered, or destroyed. Each photo which is posted, each map, each list of shops, re-awakens memories. The point being that I have forgotten in the first place and Nottsalgia is a means by which I can see my past again.

The actual information provided is superb. How Cliff Ton does it I do not know, but I am sure that if you gave Cliff Ton a map reference then he would be able to show you a map of the place in a very short few minutes. The standard of information given is superb. Not just Cliff Ton, but very many of the posters. This is amplified by personal memories and contemporary records. I feel that Nottstalgia is of historical importance.

• Upvote 23
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born and brought up in Nottingham. Born July 1961. I have gone away from Nottingham for some 3 decades but I still consider it my home city. I do visit frequently, and for my tuppence worth, you

Before I completely disappear with embarrassment, can I add that I've learned a hell of a lot from everyone else since I started spouting on here. For example, when I was a kid I only really knew Cl

Well said Mercurydancer. This site is an absolute goldmine of shared memories and information. It has reminded me of many happy times. I have learned things about the area I lived in and also the part

Well said Mercurydancer. This site is an absolute goldmine of shared memories and information. It has reminded me of many happy times. I have learned things about the area I lived in and also the part of the city where my father was born. It is a pleasure to view the wonderful photos and read the excellent posts. I left Nottingham in 1972 and I do not often have chance to visit the city so this site keeps me in touch. Thank you to all those who post interesting information.

• Upvote 11

Before I completely disappear with embarrassment, can I add that I've learned a hell of a lot from everyone else since I started spouting on here.

For example, when I was a kid I only really knew Clifton, the bus routes into Nottingham, and Lenton and Radford. And a few bits of other areas. Everything else I've picked up later...... and a lot of it relative recently from snippets which people have contributed here. If somebody asks a question on a subject or area, it gives me something to aim at, so I go off looking for photos or maps or something. It doesn't all arrive perfectly formed; I've found information on things and places which I didn't know existed, all because someone mentioned them on here.

• Upvote 15

I totally agree with Mercury- i have posted a vague bit of gibberish and Cliff has supplied photos and maps!! All contributors fill in loads of gaps for me, and that completes the jigsaw! What with Robbie photos- micheals humour -Catfans wit and Flys stories - its like been back in the cabin at teatime!! Living in Ireland is fine ,its so pretty where i live in this 19h century forge property. BUT it ain't HOME and ALL you barmy lot lessen that lonely feeling- thanks for 'aving me onboard.

Agree with ya'll. This site has been a great reminder of so many times and places I had long forgotten. Great group of people to interact with too. I hope the site is archived it could be of tremendous value to future generations. I was just imagining how useful it would be if such technology could have recorded some of Nottingham's earliest days.

• Upvote 6

I love this site, even though it's addictive. I do sometimes wish, though, that there were more people contributing from my 'neck of the woods' i.e. Woodthorpe. If there any of you lurking around, please write something.... Before I joined this site I had no knowledge at all of many of the places frequently mentioned on here, and even my knowledge of the city centre was quite limited! Having said that, I'm still very interested in the photos and your memories as I love learning new things. Even though my parents still lived in Woodthorpe until 1981, I suppose I had officially left Nottingham by 1966 when I got married, and for 6 years before that I had lived in Nurses' accommodation near Mansfield and in Leicester. I suppose I remember these places equally as well as Nottingham, although I always thought that Leicester was not as nice a city as Nottingham!! I'm REALLY pleased I accidentally found Nottstalgia and long may it continue xx

• Upvote 7

Margie i know what you mean about the site being addictive,ive never been into the internet but when i was diagnosed with a nasty illness i started messing with the computer and found Nottstalgia' ,in Feb last year,having time on my hands and undergoing treatment i found it a Godsend,hopefully my illness has been sorted,and am now back working at something i love.,and the site and its lovely members helped me thru it.

I think the forum means different things to different people,to me it was the humour and diversity of the members,i like taking the 'mick' and love it when folk do it back to me,having said that i also love seeing the old photo's and maps,i am addicted and sometimes delibrately don't post,but then a comment or subject draws me back (my will power is not the best) ......Anyway thought i'd tell ya all that,cos your comments drew me back this morning,now clear off and have a nice weekend,.......and that goes to you all. :biggrin:

• Upvote 11

Exactly my sentiments Benjamin, sometimes I don't know how I'd have coped without this site. A godsend.

Great friends here.

• Upvote 9

I find it all on Nottstalgia.... memories, history, a mine of information, debate, humour, a nice bit of banter sometimes with certain members. It's also a pick-me-up when I need one. What more could anyone possibly want from a site.

Oh, and no bleddy advertising either! :)

• Upvote 6

Brilliant site..........

I love this site, even though it's addictive. I do sometimes wish, though, that there were more people contributing from my 'neck of the woods' i.e. Woodthorpe. If there any of you lurking around, please write something....

Ok Margie just for you, I grew up in Woodthorpe, even though we used to say Mapperley, but in reality it was Woodthorpe.

Fishing in the old Brickyard ponds, sledging on Breckhill fields which backed onto our garden, being chased by horses on the fields, watching our old playground gradually get built on. Walking to Woodthorpe park to pick chestnuts or conkers. All memories like yesterday. A game of pitch and put, exploring the old railway tunnels, being chased off the brickworks by the watchman. Using the old earthworks near woodborough road/woodthorpe drive to test our home made bombs !

When I come back to visit nottm I always spend a few hours in the park, watching the squirrels and just generally reminiscing.

• Upvote 3

Hi Margie - I was born in Woodthorpe - Pateley Road to be exact - and lived there for the first 18 months of my life, before we moved in with my grandma in her prefab at Aspley. I was once incautious enough to say I was born in Mapperley in front of my mum. She quickly put me right - Mapperley (she told me) could have Certain Connotations. No - those houses on Pateley Road, new in 1946 and suffering from post-war material shortages, were advertised as Woodthorpe, which was a lot more classy!

• Upvote 1

This site allows me to get things off my chest that would be impossible to discuss at home. As I also tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, I find it a great release of my emotions and other unspeakable topics that are strictly taboo at home. There are things in everybody's life that need to be discussed elsewhere..

There are friends on here that I would trust with my life. In fact already have done.

Like others, I have experienced the ultimate highs and the most disheartening of lows over the last few months, but people on here have got me through it relatively unscathed. You are all brilliant !!!!!

Thanks.

• Upvote 7

You're welcome catfan.

#9 I was born in Gedling village Margie quite close to Woodthorpe until I married in 1967 when we moved to Mapperley.

Near to the back end of Woodthorpe park close to St. Judes church. Many a happy hour spent on the park. I would take

a picnic and then go blackberrying on the way home.

My friend carni introduced me to this website and it has helped me though a bad time in my life.

It is almost imposable to feel down when you log on to nottstalgia the banter and humour is second to none and yes it is addictive.

• Upvote 7

My first experience with forums was joining FR, which I did enjoy for a while, but so many of the names that came up from my Infant and Secondary Schools, were just that: Names. The people were so vague to me, that I couldn't share memories with them, because I could only remember the names and not the person?

Discovering Nottstalgia (Through Bazzer, on FB who was in my class at school) has been such a pleasure. I have had places brought back to mind, that had long disappeared from my memory and learnt about Nottingham in a way I never could have without the knowledge of so many people, so willing to be helpful.

I would be quite lost without Nottstalgia now. It is the first thing I do in the morning( with my cuppa) and last thing at night. So many of you have given encouragement to those of us who have had serious illnesses and compassion through sad times. You may not realise just how much the kindness has meant to us. Last but not least the Laughter some of you give to us all. Keep it coming Miducks.

PS, sue B 48, Tode yer yud lyke it dint I duck! :biggrin:

• Upvote 6

IVE still found nobody on the forum i was at school with,or even born on the old Bestwood estate,...........or they won't admit it !!! :angry2:

• Upvote 4

I lived at 19 leybourne for a while Benj: lots of members 'liked' my post- thank you. But its all you i need to thank- poor health and money worries are'nt a good cornerstone- but we have got through.maybe a familiar pattern for some of us?? I dont do 'virtual' friends- fellow posters i regard in a genuine way indeed! ( bit deep for a bulwell bloke - going for a pint-Night! )

Yes i remember you saying you lived there Ian,you must have known the 'Brewards' ?