Vernons self-service stores

Does anyone remember 'Vernons' self service stores ?..in the early 60s they were among the forerunners of self-service shopping in Nottingham,they were part of the Farrands/Marsdens set up two very old Notts grocery chains,and they converted a number of their stores into self-service stores,which was quite revolutionary back in those days,i was part of the team that carried out the converstions.

The ones i recall working on were,Denman st,Broxtowe lane,Willoughby st,Radford rd,Hucknall, and St.Anns well rd,all either ex. Farrands or Marsdens,then in the later 60s they opened larger self service units,such as Savemore in Bulwell and Lenton and Thrifty in Sherwood,............they were happy days,and it was also the advent of proper 'Shop-lifters'.. :laugh:

Don't think many will remember them Dave,Denman st is still a grocery shop,Hucknall is an Hairdressers,St.Anns was bulldozed as was Willoughby st,i think Broxtowe lane is a Laundrete,Sherwood is a Spar shop and Bulwell a freezer centre.

On 24/05/2015 at 10:03 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Does anyone remember 'Vernons' self service stores ?..in the early 60s they were among the forerunners of self-service shopping in Nottingham,they were part of the Farrands/Marsdens set up two very old Notts grocery chains, The ones i recall working on were,Denman st.........

Denman Street / Radford Blvd.

qtBmJZd.jpg

• Upvote 2

Brilliant cliff ton,you've produced a few Marsdens pics,........would love to see any Farrands or much rarer Vernons.......the above became Vernons about 63.

Thanks again cliff ton,one of the few i never worked,bloke i knew ginger George Wood did though,...........as regards Vernons there was'nt many perhaps 10,and their Fascia read 'Vernons price down'.

Mansfield rd opposite what is now 'Wilko's',its now the Spar shop,it was a Farrands then when the now building was erected it became 'Thrifty' i Managed it in 1968.

The one on Cliff tons picture is on the island top of Broxtowe lane.

Sorry Katyjay,but it was right at the top where it joins Aspley lane opposite Beechdale rd,and the Vernons store was at the bottom of Broxtowe lane towards Nuthall rd,near the railway bridge,

Thank you. I knew I was right, I shopped there for me mam for years. Wardles hardware shop next door is a dead giveaway. On Picture the Past, there is another pic of these two shops but showing the whole block. If my laptop was working I'd post it.

Cliff Ton, thanks for posting the full picture. Your 'today' shot though is of the 3rd set of shops, not the first set in the 50's picture. This 3rd set is where Benjamin thought the 2 grocers were.

• Upvote 2

#9 - Benjamin - sorry you'd have to tell what it was opposite in 1968 not what it's opposite now!

Pork Farms,judges,and Brittons fruit/veg :)

I am going with Katy on this one, wasn't the row of shops at the top of Aspley lane built on a curve to follow the island.

And yes Katy it was Colby Road.

YOU ARE RIGHT to go with Katy,.........sorry Katy after looking again,.............the one at the top near Aspley lane was a marsdens,...hands up... :biggrin:

#6. Freeman's stores. I feel sure that the building in the photo is/was the second on that site - a smaller one was there before it (or maybe the one in the photo was knocked down for whatever is there now. Seem to remember there was a temporary shop on the pavement for a while.

Incidentally; at the house next door, with the hedges, lived Jack Cave. Jack was a fabric worker at Rolls-Royce Hucknall., and sometimes gave me a lift to work. He used to have a Velocette motorbike just after the war. He advertised it for sale and a chap came to look at it. 'Can I try it?' said he, and off he went, never to be seen again - nor was the bike.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 years later...

Yes I certainly remember the Vernon's Store on the corner of Denman Street and Radford Boulevard. Between 1964 and 1965 I was the delivery boy taking people's shopping to their homes on a grocery bike. Thursday and Friday nights after school and all day Saturday, I loved it! I remember the Irish store manager "Paddy" (can't remember his surname), his assistant Mr. Strange who cut and packed fresh butter and lard, he also used to weigh out 2lb bags of sugar. The girl who worked on the till Pauline. I rode all over Radford and Lenton and other surrounding areas. Compared to today's giant stores it was tiny in comparison, but a very good store. By this time it was self-service and it worked very well. I still have very fond memories of my time there, especially the grocery bikes I used to ride, stacked high with grocery orders. Thankfully there was not the volume of traffic that is around today.  

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

@Grundy

Are you associated with Grundy Street in any way? I noticed you looking at the Were You at Berridge thread.

Yes I am, lived there for 25 years and left in 1973, also went to Berridge Infant and Junior School. The was a Julie Sparrow who lived on Bobbers Mill Road in those days.