Vernons self-service stores

Off topic I know but we were living on Grundy Street when I went to Berridge.  Our Mam could look over the garden wall to see if we were en route.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 5:14 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

There was indeed and I am her younger sister!  We may know each other?

I remember Julie, she was friends with my cousin Su Pollard. Like Su I think she went to Peveril School but I didn't really know her personally. I think you lived close to Josephine Jordan didn't you? That part of Bobber's Mill Road was great, I remember a gang of us used to have one metal roller skate each with a piece of floor boarding across it, sit on it and fly down past your house on the pavement and round the corner at the bottom. You wouldn't like to try it today with the amount of traffic on the road. It was also the place we used to wait for the Shipstone's horses pulling the wagons on their way back to the Star Brewery. The fun was trying to hang onto the back of the wagon while hitching a ride up the hill! Great memories!! 

• Like 1

Oh yes, my sister and the roller skates! I wasn't involved. Too young. Known, colloquially, as skating round The Cappo (Capitol Cinema).

Julie and Su were both at Berridge and Peveril. They got involved with the Cooperative Arts Theatre via a teacher at Peveril. In their early 20s, Julie and Su shared a flat in West Bridgford before Su landed a role in The Desert Song with John Hansen and went off to London. They stayed in touch for many years and have now, sadly, lost touch.

Josie Jordan, yes, lived next door but one in the bottom house. We don't know where she went to school but Julie says it wasn't Peveril. Bit of a tearaway was Josie.

I remember the house where Su lived on Prospect Terrace with Don and Hilda and Jean. When that was demolished, Don and Hilda decamped to the East Coast.  Su also had a relative who lived on one of the streets running off Churchfield Lane. Wordsworth, Grimston or Glentworth. Not sure who that was.

I didn't realise that Julie went with Su to the Co-operative Arts Theatre. Went there a few times, with other family members, to watch her when she was starting to make her mark in acting. I used to live on Grundy Street and the next door lady gave Su singing lessons in the front room. At that time I was revising for exams in our front room and all I could hear was Su going up and down the scales for about two hours! She obviously learned quite a bit because she can certainly belt a song out! There was great excitement in the family when she landed the part in Desert Song and her move to London. The next big part she got was in Hair, which I believe came to Nottingham. She has come a long way since then! 

Don and Hilda moved to Sutton-on-Sea and lived there until they both, sadly, passed away. They loved it there and were very content in their bungalow. I think it would have been a relative of Hilda's who lived off Churchfield Lane, I don't remember any Pollard relative living there. We had a cousin who ran a shop selling Washing Machines etc. which was on the corner of Lenton Boulevard and Glentworth Street or near there. 

@Grundy

Su and Julie became involved with the Arts Theatre through Mary Salivansky, their English teacher at Peveril. Coincidentally, Miss Salivansky passed on a few days ago, aged 97. She won many choral verse speaking competitions with her Peveril group, which included Julie and Su.

I told Julie about your memories of the roller skates and she remembered you.

I knew that Don had passed on, just after my own father, but I didn't know about Hilda.  How is Jean? She was always somewhat in the shadow of her older sister, very quiet and unassuming.

Who was your next door neighbour? The only lady I knew on Grundy Street who was a pianist was the lovely Doris Davys. She and her family lived at the end house, right at the top of Grundy Street.

Su was in some marvellous shows at the Arts Theatre and, in those days so far off now, there was a wealth of talent in that place.

Doris Davys was the next door neighbour and all her family, Christine, Muriel, Jack, Trevor and Andrew. I knew it was a teacher who suggested to Su that she could make it as an actor. Mrs. Salivansky must have been very proud as she saw Su's career blossom the way it did! I'm going to see her in October, she's doing a one woman show called Birdy.

Jean is fine and living in Sawley, she's married to Tony who works in Dubai and gets out to see him as often as she can. She had a nasty fall down her wooden stairs a few years ago and had serious head injuries, she was rushed to hospital but has recovered very well thank goodness. She is still an unassuming and caring person. 

• Like 1

@Grundy

The Davys family were very well known to us. Doris and her children, John, Barry, Christine, Trevor, Marilyn and Andrew.  I'm still in touch with Christine and Trevor. John died some years back and Barry fairly recently. Sadly, Trevor is not in the best of health these days either.  A lovely family.

I'm sorry to hear of Jean's problems but glad she has recovered.

Please give Su my regards. Julie is currently living in Spain but will be returning to the UK next month, restrictions permitting. Hilda must have died fairly recently. I last noticed her name on an obituary for a Trevor Pollard who was her nephew. That was in 2016.  Hilda would have reached a good age.