I did think about buying a Gopro Digital Video action camera, but at £330, a bit steep for a little camera!

Fortunately there is a quality Chinese equivalent called a 'Xiaomi Yi'

Same image quality as Gopro Hero4 except only up to 1080p (@60 frames per second), not 4k. (who has a 4k TV anyway?)

Uses the Sony Exmor R BSI CMOS 16 million pixel image sensor and the Ambarella A7LS Processor.

Oh, it is also a 16MP camera

These Xiaomi cams retail online and on eBay for £60-£70, however they can be found for £45 at Gearbest China,

http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_153557.html

Ordered, saving £285.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did think about buying a Gopro Digital Video action camera, but at £330, a bit steep for a little camera! Fortunately there is a quality Chinese equivalent called a 'Xiaomi Yi' Same image quality

Do you suppose that having an action cam trained permanently back at oneself on a selfie stick and playing through onto an Ipad would help any in coping with short term memory loss? Or if I had a cam

English manual here http://www.xiaoyi.com/guide/en.html

I have the SJCAM 4000 WIFI with waterproof case, bought it on e-bay for £72, both these cameras are very good value.

Sent away to china for a camera case, and separate charger ( Total £14 ) because I have 3 batteries, so now I can charge the batteries in the car.

P1020104_zpsrheivpt8.jpg

Thanks for the link I have been looking at something similar for some time.

Techmoan are brilliant! I have bought one of these small but very effective cameras.

Yes I did look at the SJCam. But plumbed for the Xiaomi Yi.

I also bought spare battery and accessories very cheap, but have not yet bought the waterproof case as there are four on offer all slightly different sizes, ranging from £9-£16. I will look at one of those USB battery chargers.

My%20Account%20-%20My%20order%20%20%20Ge

There is also a selfie stick with Bluetooth shutter release, I wont be taking selfies but they are very useful for getting a high angle above crowds at events.

If you buy one from Gearbest.com they are currently the cheapest

IMPORTANT: Set currency to UK£ before completing purchase, it is cheaper than paying conversion charge at Paypal checkout.

Also a spare battery @ less than $4 is a steal.

Presumably this thing has no playback facility on the camera itself. You playback on your laptop, tablet whatever?

There is no Screen, playback is either via HDMI output to TV or connecting to a computer and playing the file.

Control of the camera settings is done remotely via an Android App from a smartphone.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived Tuesday and settled down with it today and got it going!

It is as good as it says so very good value!

You can get a Firmware update but have to be careful you get the right update, and apply it the right way.

It boots from a file on the memory card.

The firmware for mine was updated via the Android App once it recognised the camera, I did not have to do the download and stuff that I have read about.

Just bringing my posts from Memory Cards to here.

Despite getting the battery fully charged, the Wifi on my Original XiaoMi Yi 1080P Ambarella A7LS WIFI Sports Action Camera doesn't work meaning I can't connect to the app.

I have reported it to Gearbest and will keep you all informed on updates

Do you suppose that having an action cam trained permanently back at oneself on a selfie stick and playing through onto an Ipad would help any in coping with short term memory loss? Or if I had a cam on my cycle helmet displaying images next to my bike computer I would find cycling less dangerous? Or should I worry about my wife slipping one into my sandwich box when I set off to meet the girl from the bacon counter? Imogen. Renata. Vera. bugger me I've forget who I'm meeting

• Upvote 2

Dashcam?

Get one with GPS/Motion sensor.

A while since I bought mine(several), things have moved on.

Make sure you get true 1080p.

Almost here :)

Destination Country

2015-06-07 00:25

NOTTINGHAM MAIL CENTRE, COLLECTED

2015-06-05 21:10

HEATHROW WORLDWIDE DC, RECEIVED IN UK

Origin Country

2015-06-05 21:10

The item has been processed in the country of destination

2015-06-05 04:48

The item is on transport to the country of destination

2015-06-04 06:26

The item is at the PostNL sorting center

2015-05-29 04:40

The item is pre-advised

Me neither, but for protection.

I did also order: Camera Lens Protector UV Filter for Original Xiaomi Yi Action Sport Camera

and 1010mAh Li-ion Battery for XiaoMi Yi Sports Camera - 3.7V

100% good reports on camera, from customers (38 Customer Reviews)

The problems reported have been bricking by badly applied firmware updates,

and out of focus, which is an easy fix.

Despite getting the battery fully charged, the Wifi on my Original XiaoMi Yi 1080P Ambarella A7LS WIFI Sports Action Camera doesn't work meaning I can't connect to the app.

I have reported it to Gearbest and will keep you all informed on updates

Here is a vid of use of the app, first connect is sometimes hit or miss!

Looks like the WiFi connects phone to camera and not via your router?

Me neither, but for protection.

I just got the Silicagel Protective Cover Case for XiaoMi Yi Sports Camera for a couple of pounds which seems fine and would also be OK in rain.