I have been following this thread because I didn't know whether a action cam or a dashcam was best. It looks like a dashcam is best for me. I can't for the life of me see the point in paying a fortune or one as it is only required for recording what is going off in front. I have looked at no end of 'em and that one looks the best for the momey to me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did think about buying a Gopro Digital Video action camera, but at £330, a bit steep for a little camera! Fortunately there is a quality Chinese equivalent called a 'Xiaomi Yi' Same image quality

Do you suppose that having an action cam trained permanently back at oneself on a selfie stick and playing through onto an Ipad would help any in coping with short term memory loss? Or if I had a cam

English manual here http://www.xiaoyi.com/guide/en.html

If you can get one at a reasonable price without with GPS logging, without sacrificing Video quality it is better in the case of an accident as it logs your speed

and gives a progress map alongside your video.

DashCam-Video-Recorder-App-Blends-Video-

I have been following this thread because I didn't know whether a action cam or a dashcam was best. It looks like a dashcam is best for me. I can't for the life of me see the point in paying a fortune or one as it is only required for recording what is going off in front. I have looked at no end of 'em and that one looks the best for the momey to me.

Just like air con. reversing sensors etc, these things will be standard on all cars soon so not a lot of point spending fortunes on them now. Get a cheap one and if it breaks get another

Have gone for,

Solar Energy ES900 12000mAh Portable Mobile Power Bank Double USB

Hope the sun shines :biggrin:

I hope your buying this and not the Solar panel?

12000mAh Portable Universal USB Backup External Battery Power Bank Pack Charger

I have found that the Xiaomi Yi is so small, and has no strap, its likely to be easily droppped.

I bought a Selfie Stick from Home Bargains. Found it perfect as a hand grip at shortest,.

Extended you can video from higher angles, great for events.

Wireless Bluetooth Selfie Stick Monopod

Cant fault you for choosing Gearbest.com.

However with a rechargeable battery pack, just slip it in your pocket and connect a lead to your cam.

The solar charger is useful, but I would not want to hold that in one hand and the camera in another whilst trying to record video.

I see this is a solar rechargeable battery.
so as long as it also has mini/micro USB input for charging, should be ok?

Might be larger because of Solar capability, so not as easy to pocket.

Look forward to reading your opinions.

Track all your shipping via http://www.17track.net/en/result/post.shtml

OK, but it can charge the battery while the camera is not in use.

I've found the Yi camera battery leaks/discharges even when the camera is turned off so multi charging may be necessary and if you're in the middle of nowhere at least the solar should mean I've always got a charging facility.

Guess there is not one factor to decide which to go for.

The battery drain problem is know to be due to shorting capacitor, and is modified in later versions.

It is a fix you can do yourself. This vid also includes a mod at the end, to improve sound from microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQ5BqO54rQ

The battery drain problem is know to be due to shorting capacitor, and is modified in later versions.

As I've only had the camera a few days, I would hope it is a later version

Cheapest on ebay for the G1W is £16 with free postage.

Full HD 1080P G1W 2.7" LCD Car DVR Vehicle Dash Vision Video Recorder Camera

Just ordered one of these from this supplier. Anyone any advice on cheapest TF (MicroSD) cards?

Gearbest are now offering the Xiaomi Powerbank, and that's 10 amphours!

Original Xiaomi Pocket 10000mAh Mobile Power Bank Portable Charger 13052180

Dispatch:Ships within 3-5 business days FREE SHIPPING

Regular Price:£28.24
Discount : 66% off
£9.72

Just bought a Mobius v3 from these blokes . http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/

A third party waterproof case is available if you need one.

Ordered Sat online at 6am, recd email 8.45 saying camera dispatched & arrived today ! Not bad for 3-5 days delivery.

Arrived all set up with latest firmware installed.

Going to fit in the rear window of "Ruby". Using as carcam.

Without a grip or a tripod, its easy to hold the camera and block the small hole for the microphone.

This one I had sussed that out.

Also without a grip, the wide angle lens is almost a fisheye, so you have to be careful your finger is not on the front of the camera or it will be seen in the shot, video or still picture!

£45 for a full 1080p video Ambarella A7LS75 DSP Processor /16MP digital camera with Sony Exmor R BSI CMOS 16 million pixel sensor.

I have read negative reviews but they don't tie in with the experience I am getting and suspect they are put online by Gopro?

I have not suffered the poor focus/battery drain problems found with early version, both easily corrected by the user.

I did buy a waterproof case from Tinydeal but find the button probes quite sharp and likely to damage the camera bottons.

The dual battery charger from Ebay for three quid is excellent.

The app is also now available in English.

I expect a Yi 4K version soon, and will buy that when it comes.

I haven't used mine much as I bought a dashcam which is portable but hopefully, with the Yi being so small, I can keep it in my pocket once my Solar charger arrives thumbsup

You need

Camera Lens Protector UV Filter for Original Xiaomi Yi Action Sport Camera

Fits perfectly and protects your lens.

Regular Price:£6.35 Discount : 66% off
£2.18

Also spare Batteries are cheap at Gearbest

1010mAh Li-ion Battery for XiaoMi Yi Sports Camera - 3.7V

Regular Price:£5.07 Discount : 56% off
£2.22