Doing some research and Northern Cemetery Registers have two deaths in 1926-7 where the place of death is:

One reads: 'Showgrounds'

The other: 'Caravan Horsefield Showground'.

Both entries Parish of Bulwell.

Now my family have been around Bulwell for over 140 years and we've never heard of 'Horsefield'. The obvious candidate would be Mellors Fields over the City Boundary but they are in Hucknall Parish. Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Mitch

Welcome to Nottstalgia mitch1.

Purely a guess, but maybe 'Caravan Horsefield Showground' might be explained like this. The person concerned belonged to a travelling fairground family who were in Bulwell for a fair; their horse-drawn caravan was parked in the field reserved for showmen and their horses.

Maybe there wasn't a specific place called Horsefield; it was just a field for horses connected with visiting showmen.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the welcome Cliff Ton I've only been around here 7 years - just don't do much posting - only reading!

Interesting thought. We are further mystified by the fact both deaths were in February/March whereas Bulwell wakes were October time and held around Holborn Place which was hardly a 'Showground'. I do get your point about the Horsefield though.

Welcome Mitch ........ :hand:

We are further mystified by the fact both deaths were in February/March whereas Bulwell wakes were October time and held around Holborn Place which was hardly a 'Showground'. I do get your point about the Horsefield though.

Probably won't help much, but I couldn't resist this. The area around Holborn Place in the 1920s. Obviously not as developed as it is now, and plenty of field space for horses.

holborn.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yes Cliff Ton that is the location of Bulwell Wakes. My mother (born 1939) can't remember the caravans wintering down there - though that was much later than this event, and NEVER heard it described as a 'Showground'.

What we actually need is her Uncle Samuel who last visited in 1946 when he was with the fair..... if only......

I may be completely wrong but I have vague memories of showmens caravans behind a high fence on the left hand side of Main Street going towards Hucknall just before you get to Moorbridge.