Map request, please! Radford

Friesland, Old Radford, is mentioned in a newspaper article of 1840. Have managed to establish that Radford Grove Lane, which still exists, was in Friesland. Prospect Place was also classed as being in Friesland. Any idea of the exact area of Friesland, please? Going away in a couple of hours for a few days, so if any replies, don't think I'm ignoring you! Thanks

I can produce a map of sorts, but there are a few complications ! The only reference to Friesland I can find is the one you've probably discovered, which is a school complex in Sandiacre.

Radford Grove Lane still exists and is in Radford. Also in Radford in the early 19th century was a Prospect Street (still exists), Prospect Parade, Prospect Terrace, and Prospect House (a big house).

I can't see a Prospect Place in Radford, but there is one which still exists in Lenton - near the south end of Willoughby Street. Which suggests that Friesland, whatever it was, stretched from modern-day Radford across to modern Lenton.

• Upvote 1

Still here! Thanks Cliff Ton. A map "of sorts" would still be useful, showing Radford Grove Lane, Prospect St/Pde/Terr and Prospect Place if all all possible

Have found some other roads on the 1851 census classed as Friesland - Dales Row and Hill St, if that helps

In 1884, John Player is known to have moved into Prospect House, known as 'Penny Pie House', just before his factory opened. It was next to Prospect Terrace and Fountain Terrace. This was apparently at the bottom of Outgang Lane, now Hartley Rd. I presume it is Churchville on the map. It was next to two other large houses in their own grounds, I can't spot where this would be on the map, unless they are the buildings right of the Mill.

Sorry, just realised that bit's not showing on Cliff's map above.

I've caught up with you now ! I had this map but didn't get round to posting it. It's obviously earlier than the previous one. Some of it is a bit unclear so I've added a few names. Hill Street is the line of what is now Radford Boulevard; Prospect House and Prospect Terrace front onto Alfreton Road. This is before any Players factories. Dales Row is the one I haven't managed to find at all.

prospectbig1.jpg

• Upvote 1

With the different spelling of Friezeland a few references come up in the news archives. Prospect Place is mentioned as being there and also a public house called The Queen .

Another ref is to the Queens Inn on Craven St. or could be Haven St.

Thanks Cliff, I now see Prospect House on the later map. I wonder if the few houses at right-angles might be 'Fountain Terrace', being next to the water fountain?

So it was Friezeland originally, became referred to as a more Anglicised Friesland, before it changed to Prospect Place. Got it now!

I have asked around some of my family whose roots are in Radford but have no memory of such a place. Some places had local names which were often referred to verbally but were never officially named such.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia northamptonian. It's nice to have someone connected to one of our topics. To celebrate, here's a closer version of the map showing Prospect House. The road across the top is Alfreton Road. Prospect Terrace is still there.

prospect.jpg

The three buildings I've marked in red have survived. They are a row of Georgian houses which stand out compared to the rest of the area.

alfreton.jpg

By coincidence, last week one of them came up for sale, so it's possible to see inside, and there's a surprising set of cellars. Not your typical Radford house. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34906728.html?premiumA=true

• Upvote 1

My late grandparents used to live at prospect place.Not sure if it could have been in the house that is now for sale,all I know is they lived in 'rooms',that's what they called it years ago,not apartments as they do now.They later moved to a 'new' house one of which were being built on farnborogh road clifton.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I've just found this site by chance, whilst doing family history research. The 1841 census shows my gggg-grandparents, John & Annis Stanton, living in Prospect Place. I knew it was in Radford, but not whereabouts, so the maps have been useful. As some of my Mum's cousins were born in Radford too, our family seems to have been in the area for several generations!

It's nice to 'place' their home a bit better.

• 2 months later...

I can't see a Prospect Place in Radford, but there is one which still exists in Lenton - near the south end of Willoughby Street. Which suggests that Friesland, whatever it was, stretched from modern-day Radford across to modern Lenton.

I think that might be the one. I'm currently researching some Kirk ancestors. They seemed to own property on Prospect Place, Radford, and the numbers went up to at least 21. However, they also became wealthy and moved to the Park, including Willoughby St and Park Drive. I need to check how close these were on the old maps. Their occupation was "Lace Manufacturers" so that must be where the money came from. I'm still trying to piece it all together.

I should have read the whole thread first. There's clearly two Prospect Places: one in Radford and one in Lenton. It must be coincidence that my Kirk ancestor owned property on one, and then moved to very near the other. Despite the blurring between Radford district/sub-district/parish with Lenton, it seems the New Lenton one was in use by 1850 as it's mentioned in the papers. However, so was the Radford one. The 1851 census shows the Radford one in the "Freezland" area, along with other streets, and the Pheasant Inn is on it -- that would mean that it is what's now Prospect Street. I do wonder, given the power of money and the lace trade, whether my ancestor had anything to do with the name moving to the Lenton one.