Douglas Whitworth

Douglas Whitworth, local historian and photographer passed away yesterday (Friday 29th May). He had been ill for some time. He would have been 88 next Tuesday (2nd June).

He had many books published containing photographs of old Nottingham.

I knew him all my life, he was my uncle (my mother's twin brother). I remember him going out early Sunday mornings with his Rollieflex SLR.

His enthusiasm for Nottingham images never waned, when in his eighties he rode the wheel in the Market Square in order to take photos.

• Upvote 12

That's very sad to hear OLDACE, I have quite a few of Douglas's books. He sounds like he had a very good life, my sincere condolences on the loss of your uncle.

• Upvote 2

What a sad loss for the for the world of photography. Your uncle was an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others with a passion in photography. His photography was quite brilliant and honest, over the years it's his style I tried to copy.

My sincere condolences on your sad loss.

• Upvote 1

Have so many of his books and the likes of him and Frank Stevenson encouraged me to do some photography of my own.

• Upvote 1

I looked in my bookshelf and found I have one of Doughas Whitworth's books: Nottingham in Old Photographs 1944 to 1974. It is excellent. Having just researched other titles by him I now know what to look for. A great man and a very sad loss.

Best wishes to you and your family at this sad time.

• Upvote 1

So sorry to hear this and for your your personal loss Oldace. I have acquired many of his photo compilations over the years, the last being just a few months back "Nottingham Then and Now". I am always looking out for any others to add to my collection.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the kind words.

BTW when he rode the Market Square wheel, in order to get a better shot he actually stood up when it was at the top, much to the consternation of the operators.

His camera may have been a Rolliecord not a Rollieflex.

I remember that in his early twenties he taught himself French prior to travelling to Paris on a photographic holiday.

He on occasion caught the train to London on photo trips, in his book of London scenes there is a photograph of the Duke of Windsor. I mentioned to him that this was probably one of the first papperazi shots. Douglas was not amused. Serious photographers will understand this response.

So very sorry to hear of your sad loss Oldace. you must have been very proud of him..

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit behind the news here, but would like to add my condolences Oldace. I met Douglas and Margaret just a few times at the back end of 2013 when helping to prepare the Saturday Night, Sunday Morning exhibition at the Djanogly Gallery, Nottingham University. He came over as a lovely modest man and entertained us with the tales behind some of his pictures and how he and his wife made numerous trips back and forth to Carlton to help save the huge collection of glass plate negatives from Marshalls Photographers. I don't know if you're aware, but he gets a double-page spread in today's Post. I too own a few of his books but didn't make the connection at all on first meeting him! A sad loss indeed.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...