weekend in london, need some help!

Have lived and worked in central London for 25 years now, and I'd second a lot of the advice here, especially hitting West End cafés and restaurants late afternoon/early evening, before the evening rush; and the excellence of the British Museum; and I'd give another 'thumbs up' for the Côte restaurant chain. My favourite one is tucked away on a little pedestrian street just off Kensington High Street (walkable from Kensington Gardens / Royal Albert Hall). The Côte 'Crème Caramel' dessert is a thing of true beauty! :wub:

Also, as someone said, those big free things the Parks are among the best things in London, esp. this time of year. On a sunny June / July day, having had your pre-rush early evening supper, strolling into a Park for sundown and the afterglow of a light summer evening is magical. Last midsummer's day, with some visitors, we went to Primrose Hill for about 9pm and stayed up there till it got dark, way after 10.30. There were lots of people picnicking, a sort of mini-rock festival vibe (without the drugs, drunkenness and noise) - couple of guitars being strummed, convival chatter and laughter, rings of friends with candles in bottles... and all this with the lights of the City starting to glow in the distance, from Canary Wharf to the London Eye. Unforgettable.

By the way, I wonder if in this post

Within walking distance of Camden market is the British Museum. Free and a good tea shop!

Shirley meant the British Museum is within walking distance of Covent Garden, rather than Camden. You can walk it from Camden of course, but it's not exactly a quick stroll and you'd have to cross the King's Cross / Marylebone area - a bit of a schlepp, I'd call it!

• Upvote 3

Hi NickA, I spend a big part of every month in Primrose hill....and the laid back musical vibe is always there, even in winter.....on the hill. In the village and certainly in the pubs.............the view of London skyline is indescribable, you just have to experience it for yourself...

No queues, no entrance charges, no hassle ......

• Upvote 3