Has anyone ever heard of Manton Prams in Nottingham?

One of my friends has put a photograph of one of them being pushed across the railway line at Grantham for the "Picture of the Month" - June 2015.

You can see what they look like at http://www.returntograntham.co.uk

If you have any information about the firm please let me know.

There was a Mantons that had a bike shop in Eastwood in the 60's perhaps into early 70's. I knew the family and went to school with one of their daughters. Could it be the same family?

A quick dig around found several references to them being in Basford. And they seem to have been here....

ia3Wj48.jpg

Many of the surrounding roads are still there. The road named High Street is still there but is now known as Basford Road.

• Upvote 1

This post reminded me about Greenwood prams Old Basford. They closed in 1981 and the premises turned into flats.

Roger Greenwood the son of the owner in the 50's started his apprentiship at the ROF the same year as me.

Greenwod and Co have an interesting history. They started in and old mill, powered by the R Leen which had to be diverted to stop flooding.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

My mother was talking about Manton Prams this morning, seems she was a friend of the Notman sisters whose father owned this business. I imagine her friendship with them would have started during the 1940s and endures to this day (two of the sisters are still alive albeit in their 80s),so it should be possible for me to get more information. I'll try and find out more and reply again in due course.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia Clive Notman.

I hadn't realise that Nottingham had been a hotbed of pram manufacturing. A few weeks ago someone posted a link about the Fetha-Lite pram factory - this time in Basford.  

On 5/13/2020 at 8:26 PM, Raddersred said:

On the subject of Fetha-Lite prams.          See https://fetha-lite.co.uk for more info.

CT.., further to your above post, Nottingham was also a hotbed for providing the occupants of said prams. Might be the case next year, with folks not having owt else to do during lockdown. (Not all areas though).

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2015 at 3:46 PM, The Pianoman said:

There was a Mantons that had a bike shop in Eastwood in the 60's perhaps into early 70's. I knew the family and went to school with one of their daughters. Could it be the same family?

Yes, I was a Manton girl called Felicity and my sister is Alison. Our family had Manton's shop on Nottingham  road, Eastwood and sold fishing tackle, batteries, televisions ; all-sorts. What is your real name?

11 hours ago, Felicity said:

Yes, I was a Manton girl called Felicity and my sister is Alison. Our family had Manton's shop on Nottingham  road, Eastwood and sold fishing tackle, batteries, televisions ; all-sorts. What is your real name?

Malcolm Harvey