open or wrapped? Fish and chips

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my parents owned The Capitol Fisheries and the cafe next door on Alfreton Rd almost opposite the Capitol Picturehouse. On Saturday nights when I was very young, and my nan couldn't baby sit, I'd stay at the shop till closing time and sleep on piles of newspaper under the counter. I was virtually weaned on chips and didn't stay for School Dinners at FFGS until I was about 13.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1973 Chip Shop corner of Arkwright Street/Summer Street

When I was in Senior School: Gedling Secondery Modern, probably about 14yrs old, 1962/63, i think we had about an hour and a half for Lunch. A whole crowd of us would dash as quickly as we could from

Apollo Fish Bar is still there but sadly not the Ritz!

As kids, we used the Bunbury/Turney St chippie round the corner, as mentioned by colly0410. We could get chips or fritters, mushy peas and a pickled onion with the money we got back from the empty pop bottles we'd 'acquired'. If we were nearly skint, we made do with the batter bits for a penny.

Later on, any of the chippies on Arkwright St were fine by me, Trent Fish Bar, Pete's or Tony's. The one on the corner of Summers St, pictured above, was where I'd always stop as a teenager, after a night in town and more than a few pints inside me. Fish 'n' chips and mushy peas as I walked back home down Arky to Trent Bridge, lovely. It must have stayed open pretty late in those days.

Fish and chips on a plate are great, but just no comparison to eating out of the paper with lashings of salt and vinegar, in the fresh air.

• Upvote 4

The one chippy I loved was Brights near the Nag's Head behind the Wheatsheaf and a few doors up from the Bobbers Mill cafe. I hated fish as a child and to this day you couldnt pay me to eat fish. I could not be enticed by chips either. I still dont particularly like the wilted soft chips.

What Bright's did was pies. They werent made on the premises but they were lovely. Proper shortcrust pastry with steak and kidney filling. That and a portion of mushy peas was heaven to me.

#20 mick2me, Thanks for the picture. I can see us all now standing outside of the front shop window, tucking into our Chips and Peas. Then next door or the next one for our Parkies. BTW I forgot to say. Definately Open. :biggrin:

#20 mick2 me used that one quite often mick, being a carlton lad we'd go to Elsies carlton hill her husband I believe was a copper. they was cooked to order in them days so you'd have ter wait quite a while but it was worth it. dart match nights in the nags head up the road they would fetch fritters from there to make fritter sandwiches at the end of the match, happy memories.

It's funny how chippy's can evoke such memories.

On holidays at Skeggy (well its nearly part of Nottingham) it was a sit down job with mum & dad on the back street that ran parallel with Lumley Road. My only experience of sit down dining before my 20s, to this day I remember the green and cream tiling.

In New Basford it was on Northgate near the corner of Monsall Street.

On a Friday night it was band practice with the bucket bashers in a school on the corner of Berridge Road & Stanley Road. On the opposite corner was a chippy run by my girlfriend's Auntie Winn always got good portions there, chips that is!!!!

The chap in blue on the right look like he's had a few !!!!!

• Upvote 1

This was a favourite of mine in the 50s and early 60s. It is situated on the junction of Redhill Road and Mansfield Road, Redhill. I used to love their fritters. As I recall, they were 1d each.

scan0012.jpg

I know I have said this before but can't recall what thread. When at School at St.B's on Sneinton Dale in the mid 60s there was a blanket ban on leaving school at lunchtime without a note from the parents. However, a number of us regularly escaped down the dale to George's Chippy for our lunchtime fix of chips stuffed into half a hollowed-out small loaf. One of us would keep a look-out for our headmaster, "Adolf", who used to patrol the dale in his mini-bus, looking for escapees. If Adolf was spotted, George used to usher us swiftly into his back room until the coast was clear. Great memories of a great time :)

Another chippy that brings back memories is this one on Salop Street, Daybrook. My father was a staunch Catholic and so it was fish for tea on Fridays. Every now and then we would be treated to fish and chips on Friday from this little shop.

slop%252520st.jpg

Image from Picture the past.

I love all chip shops good or bad. One day they won't exist, so support them while you can. I used to work on Union rd. Friday's, we'd spend our wages at Diggles who would sell single fags and then go to the chippie, where you could stand in the queue with the famous Albert Brown - bouffant hair do and chiffon scarf. The old Kingfisher on Mansfield Rd was a belter and Pangs on Portland St was a Good Chinese chippie - you wan openrapp?

Serrie #44: Where exactly on Mansfield Road was the Kingfisher. I know the name but can't just place it.....

A few days ago, we went into a recently-opened chippy on High Street, Arnold, opposite the Asda car park. It was like taking a step back in time! They showed us the fish fillets before they were battered, and cooked while we waited, chips were perfect, and portion sizes were massive!

• Upvote 2

Dad was so busy in his chippy, he never cooked to order unless you wanted plaice. The hot display case was always full of fish, and the hopper was constantly full of chips.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember elsies chip shop on carlton hill,i used to get 6d worth of chips and crispy bits.....in the photo of the chip shop on burton road is a building that is now a care home,its where the ritz cinema was.