Summer Holidays and Photos

Good grief no ! If I'd been able to understand them, I might have got into an argument, and got a slapping ! Especially with Forest beating Newcastle in the League Cup a couple of weeks ago. 

Anyway, I kept being called a canny lad whilst they were all chuckling, so I presume that's a good thing.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

We geordies are renowned for our friendly attitude to everyone (football not included) when hubby met my grandfather for the first time he couldn't understand him. Granda was a pitman with an accent all his own , he never turned a corner he "coined" it. As every vistor will tell you we have some of the most beautiful coastline and castles in the world. As i married a basford lad we may be short of good lads up here.

Fly being called a canny lad is a good thing - did you try the Brown Ale. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No, I've always detested NBA, stuck to Tribute, various lagers and red wine.

Ive never seen so many whippets, and the Pikeys and their ponies were everywhere along the coast. Some authentic gypsy wooden caravans prominent in the area too, especially around Newbiggin.

Actually Gem, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Weather ok, few evening showers, plenty of food, especially fish and chips at Cullercoats, and the sea front cafe in Seaham. Can't wait to go again ! ...... Oh, and it was free too !

• 1 year later...

Just had a fantastic few days at the Grande Hotel in Vianden, Luxembourg. It's situated in a beautiful riverside village and the food was good, beer and wine good, and everyone spoke good English. There was music or a singer on in an evening, and the restaurant and bar was bedecked with some fantastic pictures and paintings of singers and rock stars, most of whom had stayed there. 

Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Janis Joplin, Muddy Waters, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, John Lee Hooker and many more. .... Oh, and Phil Collins ! 

A great place !

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I bet that the hotel could tell some stories. They also have Blues Nights, but unfortunately there wasn't one during our stay. 

On 9/30/2018 at 8:57 AM, FLY2 said:

Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Janis Joplin, Muddy Waters, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, John Lee Hooker and many more. .... Oh, and Phil Collins ! 

Only 3 out of those 12 are still alive  :wacko:            What was the food like ?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Derbyshire Miners Convalescence Home.

I'm sure we have a thread going on this place of past holidays and happy memories for some of our members, but I can't find it! Sort me out CliffTon. My post could be added to it if need be.

Just heard on the local news at Skegvegas that 'The now named Miners Retreat' is finally closing, due to lack of customers and losing money. Tomorrow is the end of an era. I personally never stayed there, but because dad was a miner, it was there for us if wanted. Mam went a couple of times with her sister in the 60/70s. There are plenty of images on the internet, to remind people of happy holidays.

Skegness Sands site is adjacent to the building and it wouldn't surprise me if the owner snapped it up. 

• Like 1

Derbyshire miners was sold about 14 years ago to a mining welfare group who have £31 million in the bank according to a chap on the radio this morning. There are about 30 ex miners travelling to Skeg today to protest about the place closing down.

• Like 1

Ha ha, Cliff. I noticed that. Food fine, but you know the Rock 'n Roll lifestyle takes its toll !  Some lost talent there.

3 hours ago, carni said:

Derbyshire Miners Convalescence Home.   I'm sure we have a thread going on this place of past holidays and happy memories for some of our members, but I can't find it! Sort me out CliffTon. 

Had a look...can't find owt. 

I've read stuff about the place on here but can't remember where abouts, must have been tied in with some other topic like so many,pehaps comes under Skegness or  coal mining topic

Rog

• Like 1

Well beggar me. Yet another holiday coming up this Friday, visiting outlaws, but pulling in a few days of normality.

Friday morning off to Carmarthen, Saturday on to Hampshire, Monday into Dorset. The following Friday, back to Hants, then the following Sunday, back home. 

God, this retirement game takes some beating ! 

• Upvote 1

It's certainly not that enjoyable lately, but I love driving, and take it all in my stride, although my language can be appalling at times !

• Like 1

Yes, I'm often on the verge of palpitations at times. Too many incompetent idiots on the road today.

• Like 1

Always WOMEN too I should imagine!   I have to listen to this chauvinist complaining about other drivers, usually women.  I don’t listen to him anymore. 

• Like 2

No, no, no, there's some wonderful women drivers ! girlvboy

• Like 1

A lot of the problem is mobile phones.  Its against the law here to use one while driving except hands free, but you still see the idiots texting.  Sometimes  you get one behind you, weaving around.  I'm not sure which is the most scary.