Summer Holidays and Photos

#7 - Our caravan (in Chapel St. Leonards) was rather less modern:

Caravan20at20Chapel20St.20Leonards_zpsng

This must have been some time around the mid-1950s. The caravan had solid-tyred wheels which had partly sunk into the ground. I think the car must have been borrowed.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

I reckon 90% of us must have bumped into each other sometime back then. After all it was the same time and the same place, in the 50s/60s there were more Nottingham folk in Skeggy than locals in the season. I could almost guarantee to see some mates if I went to the open air roller skating rink on the front.

• Upvote 1

Your gran looks a lot like my great aunt Ada who was also a spiritualist medium from Mansfield........the family were all scared of her....same era too..........

Funny that is, Because my Grandma was as well. Would that explain the picture behind the curtain in the hall, of a Red Indian, in his headdress and all the gear. I used to hate walking past that curtain. Seems there was a lot of it about then!

• Upvote 1

My mum 2nd from the left in the stripey hat.....looks a proper "flapper" ! Though I would say this was early 1930s .She had family that lived in Skeg and the others are probably cousins .

12275136894_9a3d96b360_b.jpg

My big brother and me . Sure this would have been at Skeg. 1952 ?

8593994125_615a4a151c_b.jpg

• Upvote 7

I think we all went to Skeg or Mablethore during our childhood era, on public transport, then as we became more mobile with cars or scooters, motorbikes etc. we ventured further afield.

Cleethorpes was and still is a favorite place I still visit when back there. Fish and chips for lunch then a slow run back calling at a pub somewhere for tea and a pint, what a way to spend a summer or spring day.

Nice pics. David,........love the collar and Ties,even on holidays,oh yes and double breasted suits,brilliant.

• Upvote 2

In 1965, the then girlfriend and I, went to Skeggy for a day. Caught the train from Victoria. It chucked in down all day, and we spent most of the time dodging into and out of amusement arcades trying to keep dry. On the train back we were a couple of very damp people - her hair hanging down like wet straw. To top it all, the carriage lights did not come one and we sat in darkness for most of the journey back. I vowed there and then that I would never go to Skegness again, and I never have. Give me California, Arizona and Nevada any day!

• Upvote 3

Train carriage, no lights, bird in tow ? & you complain Chulla !

Well said 'catfan' with 'Crumpet' like Cliff tons family,who needs California,Arizona and Nevada.,!!!

• Upvote 4

#32 David,................I must add,the Ladys looked 'stunning'..........touch of the 'Roaring 20's'

• Upvote 1

scan0009.jpgI have a photo of my family in a caravan, probably at Chapel St Leonards but for the life of me I can't find it! for now this will have to do. The roundabouts at Skegness circa 1956

• Upvote 4

Just dug this one out of the box. Holidays 1953 style. Somewhere on the east coast:

scan0013.jpg

• Upvote 8

Great days, That was when there were very few proprietary vans, but loads made from old ex MoD ambulance bodies, home made and cut down bus bodies.

#36. There were others steaming away in the carriage compartment. I doubt any of us felt very amorous.

Re #42 - my granddad had a converted railway carriage body on a field site at Whatstandwell - from what I can remember, I think it was an ex-Midland railway clerestory, which seemed prehistoric even then - about 1953.

Our Summer holidays were a bit farther afield - courtesy of my dad's railway passes. Cornwall, Devon and Dorset were favourites. As for accommodation we always stayed in what were called apartments (or "rooms with attendance" - which basically meant that you bought your own food, and the landlady cooked and prepared it for you. It was the cheapest non-self-catering option.

Yes, I remember the roving photographers - I have one of the family with my granddad (wearing a bow tie!) at the time he lived in a caravan behind a guest house on Skegness South Parade.

• Upvote 1

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a bit of a coach station down that road.
b9a290d8-189a-4120-a3d2-eb8b11dd1cc7_zpsefde4b51-b807-4139-9bb7-70d2b8ee7aa6_zps

• Upvote 16

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years apart. Me, my sister, mum and dad.

na9KqI8.jpg

• Upvote 12

Everybody's paths must have crossed down that road, and Lumley Rd.