Summer Holidays and Photos

my grandma used to have a caravan at chapel st leonards skegness,it was a strange shape like an egg and painted grey,it had gas lights,you had to fetch the water from a standpipe on the site,no toilet in the caravan,there was a toilet block on site.granny used to sit in the vine pub for a drink while we played on the beach...i think there was a cafe or a place where you could play on one armed bandits and other games,this place had a jukebox with cliff richard singing please dont tease ,i couldnt get this song out of my head and kept begging my sister to put money in the jukebox and play it again.

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

katyjay. The time period is right, even if I cannot actually remember you. Grandma Whitlam was there and, I am sure, uncle Ted.

About the film. Anyone who sees it will wonder where the title came from as there is nothing in it about upturned glasses. The story is that Rank told the director and Mason that because of their recent successes they could make a film about anything they liked. Mason and his wife Pamela Kellino wanted to make a film about the Brontes, in particular about the brother Branwell. He was a drinker, hence the title The Upturned Glass. The forthcoming film and its title were advertised as being in production but Hollywood beat them to it with its film about the Brontes and the project was scrapped. Because people were expecting a James Mason film called The Upturned Glass they had to substitute something in its place. They did so with a psychological thriller, that never once has any indication of an upturned glass in its story.

If any of you youngsters were toddling around at the bottom of the 'pull over' outside the amusement arcade, at Chapel St Leonards in 1958, you may have seen two girls showing off in their grass skirts. They even walked round Skeggy town centre dressed this way at one point... Don't know who the scooter belonged to.

image.jpg1_zpsehqbw4qb.jpg

• Upvote 9

I made a mistake, the photo was taken in 1961. Even I wasn't that precocious at age 15.... Yes, I was the one at the back

I remember having one of those grass skirts in the sixties at Skeg. Probably did the Hula Hula when I'd had a few Whitways Ciders anawl.Lol :biggrin:

Margie, we are guessing like benjamin that you are the pillion rider?

• Upvote 1

Don't care what year it was Margie' as Lesley Phillips would say...................DING-DONG. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Great picture Margie, I guessed you were the pillion rider. I know that exact spot I was there a few year's ago

visiting friends it's changed a lot since 1961 Margie.

• Upvote 1

Michael, I said I still had the skirt, I DIDN'T say it would still fit! I intend to come to the Arboretum looking vaguely respectable [whatever that means] if i can manage it...

Benjamin, I expect the scooter would be a bit of a rust bucket by now [a bit like me, I think!] Did you have a scooter? I was more drawn towards motorbikes [and their riders] in those days..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice picture Margie- will refrain from any smut- i 'ad a strict mam!! Photos take you back don't they? Found a snap of my Dad in Skeg dated 1932, on the back was printed "walking pictures".

This came as a surprise because I didn't know I had it.

That Mablethorpe location again, but the earliest version so far. This is my mum with her father (doing a Charlie Chaplin impersonation) in the late 1920s.

mabel20s.jpg

About 35 years later she appears slightly older in the same place

• Upvote 11

Michael, I said I still had the skirt, I DIDN'T say it would still fit! I intend to come to the Arboretum looking vaguely respectable [whatever that means] if i can manage it...

Benjamin, I expect the scooter would be a bit of a rust bucket by now [a bit like me, I think!] Did you have a scooter? I was more drawn towards motorbikes [and their riders] in those days..

Had a Scooter for short time (somebody nicked it,last seen in Chapel st leonards) also had Motor bike for even shorter time,me Mam made my Uncle take it and carry on the payments. lol.

• Upvote 1

You really are funny, Benjamin... But you'll never know whether I mean "funny peculiar" or "funny ha ha!)

• Upvote 2

You might like smut, Chulla, but I don't think the photo deserves that, does it?

• Upvote 3

No one has mentioned the smells of the fifties. Ingoldmills caravan park had small ditches between the individual vans, which used to stink. Reckon guys used to relieve themselves in them after a night out in the pubs. And then there were the fish wagons in Grimsby.

An LMS train from Midland Station to Lincoln, where we changed to LNER, not just trains but stations, then up to Grimsby. They would park the Cleethorpes train alongside a fish train for ten minutes, so the holidaymakers could get into the spirit of things. Us kids always knew when we were close from the smell.

Alison

• Upvote 4

#122. Of course it doesn't, Margie, and I wouldn't have expected him to indulge in any. It was just a bit of fun, not aimed at you.

• Upvote 1