Summer Holidays and Photos

#47 - I think that's where the bus station was (is?). Near the Lyric cinema?

In my day - about five or six years after those photos - the coaches pulled in to a sort of open yard near the railway crossing and station at the far end of the road in those photos.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

Stephen, post 46, I have seen that clorestory coach you speak of,It's at the top of a field on Slaney's farm Whatstandwell behind a hedge that runs parallel to the Cromford canal, as far as I know it's still there,(was five years ago)

Rog

Mam, dad and me at Squires Gate Holiday Camp, Blackpool in the summer of 1946. Katyjay was there - inside mam, didn't pop out for another four months.

Squires%20Gate%20holiday%20camp%201946_z

• Upvote 6

Great topic Compo lad!!...................Wrates were the photographers at Mablethorpe, but I also recall another firm in direct competition with Wrates (stripey blazers), or am I mistaken???

Photo's would be displayed in a round booth at the top of the Pullover??

#47 & 49.

I thought this was really uncanny at first, two almost identical pictures !

My explanation would be that the "Wrates" photographer would have his regular patch waiting for the coaches to arrive then pounce on the holidaymakers !.He would know what time all the coaches arrived too.

Re: the identical Mablethorpe photos at #47 and #49. I'm pretty certain I've not been back to Mablethorpe since then, but I can recognise the location on Streetview, even though the place in general looks a bit more grim.

mable.jpg

• Upvote 2

My Grandma (2nd from left back row) and Grandad (3rd from left back row) on their hols from Carlton, presume at Skeg .maybe 1940s.

As mentioned before Grandma was born at Strubby near Skeggy and had lots of relos in the area so all the others could be related though don't know any names unfortunately .

Only one I do know is next to my Grandad .She's was called "Mrs. Fozzard" could be Flora Fozzard and is in loads of our old family photos mainly Carlton . Apart from maybe being a girlfriend to an uncle not sure what her connection is ! Maybe someone will google the name one day and come up with an answer !

18441406466_3b90667383_b.jpg

This one is a photo of my Grandparents with my Uncle Fred and his family . One of grandma's relations owned a guest house in Skeggy that I presume is this one in the picture . Don't think I ever went there .

18463563212_8fc7319c10_b.jpg

EDIT: Don't think this was our relos guest house as according to this 1950 advert it's on North Parade and the owner has the name "Tish" .That name doesn't ring any bells ! 5gns for a week at the Caythorpe seems a bargain !

18468705715_c5368620a2_b.jpg

• Upvote 6

#47 & 49: I suspect that the photos were taken by one of the roving photographers and that spot was a favourite haunt. Look at the bottom corner of #49 and you can see the tell-tale number box.

We used to go every other year to Skegness, Mr and Mrs Britton, Lumley Drive, backed onto the beach at the end of the amusement arcade near the Big Dipper - and every other year to Bridlington, Mr and Mrs Britton, a house called 'San Remo'......2 brothers married 2 sisters and they each had a guest house, my mother worked with the 2 sisters in the war, they were land girls at Retford........ we went all the way from 1949 - 1960, after that we were grown up and went in a caravan with our teenage friends at Skeg and Inglemells............I had many a happy time at the Winter Gardens and the Beer Keller in Skeg.........Oh happy gays....... cool2

• Upvote 3

Ah yes! If it was the 1950s and summertime and mum & dad's combined wages would stretch to it - Mablethorpe, there we went! I've got photos by Wrates in the same location as those posted here, as have my cousins. Once or twice both families went together, and always in a Boarding House.

What never ceases to amaze me is how much luggage we seem to need for a holiday nowadays. And yet look...........Compo and his grandparents had all they needed for a week in just that one small suitcase (#03) ha ha!

• Upvote 1

I am loving seeing these old holiday photos. They bring back such memories of an age gone by, never to be seen again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

This is the best I can find, as apart from going with an aunt at about 11yrs of age and again staying with her in Wallasey, Newbrighton, I never went to the seaside as a child. This is 1964 at the camp site at the back of the Sealands pub near Ingoldmells. What a shower, can you find me?

969b3599-f460-4a2e-8f85-d6ca3361b63f.png

• Upvote 3

994f1ecb-21b6-48e8-896d-695804a25311.png

This photo is of my Maternal Grandparents and a Special Aunt. I have no idea where they are, but judging by the "Stoney Beach" I don't think it was Skeg. It was taken sometime late 50s early 60s. The shot always makes me think of a Postcard shot. Sorry about the Thumb on the top left.

• Upvote 5

Lovely happy snap 'carnie' love Grandads Titfer and wescot' but wheres his Tie ?

• Upvote 1

Blonde on the right. ?

• Upvote 1