Summer Holidays and Photos

OK Chulla, I'll accept your explanation, though I still feel uneasy about it...

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

Margie : when my lad finishes his exams I will bribe him to put up some photos!! Must say I thought you looked very 'Italian' on that scooter..a great snap!! To please the blokes for the Arboretum get that image put onto a t.shirt and wear it with your Pimms in the park!! take care,Ian.

Thank you Ian - I very nearly took the photo off at one point. Unusual idea but I don't think I'll do the T shirt thing! People in the street would wonder why I had a photo of a young girl on my shirt!!

#130 Benjamin, I meant wasn't Leslie Phillips dead! But I've just checked on Google and he's apparently alive, aged 91- AND he got married again in 2013!! There's life in the old dog yet...

A terrific photo' MargieH. If you do have T shirts printed up,I'll take an extra large.I'd be 'chuffed' to wear one,it certainly would be different.

There is no doubt that our old city had the best looking gals.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, Isn't he dead?

no although hes in his 90s,and not been well.

sorry margie,just seen your 2nd comment,...........and yes he's given life a whirl ain't he,............the 'fat lady ain't sang yet for him' and as Michael says 'good luck to him.

Mudgie, thank you for your comment, but the T shirts are DEFINITELY not happening!!

Alison #124 recalls the smells of caravan sites. Every time I think of static Caravanning in the 60s/70s the smell of the caravan comes to mind. Almost every van had the same smell - a mixture of stale washing up water and cleaning materials. I suppose the washing smell came from eh fact that they all had buckets under the vans with a pipe connecting them to the sink inside the can. The open pipe would allow the smells to rise into the van. The last time I went in a static van with such a device was in 1973.

There was a group of four of us and someone had to be detailed to empty the bucket of slops each day. I actually volunteered because it meant that I did not have to do any other chores, the bucket being the nastiest of the lot. I named the bucket "Slop" so each day I would empty "Slop-the-bucket".

• Upvote 1

I'll wager every one of us at some time or other tried to bury our dad or other accompanying adult in the sand?!

• Upvote 1

I'll wager every one of us at some time or other tried to bury our dad or other accompanying adult in the sand?!

Not enough sand, big bloke my dad compo, TeeeHeee

I remember my big brother digging tunnels in the sand and then crawling through them! It makes my blood run cold thinking about it now as it could easily have become a tragedy...

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them. A policeman turned up and he ended up using his baton on the man. The man actually managed to get the baton off the policeman and started hitting the woman and the policeman. Then a crocodile turned up and stole all the sausages.

• Upvote 12

In the early 50's we had two lovely family holidays in Skegness. Does anyone remember the park with the pedal cars? This was my favourite activity. I just loved going round and round the paths is the little car. As a young child I always wanted a pedal car of my own but they were expensive and girls in Bilborough did not have them!

I remember the park laid out with little roads for pedal cars, but only in 1970 when my first child was about 3. He loved it..

On 18/06/2015 at 11:02 PM, BilboroughShirley said:

In the early 50's we had two lovely family holidays in Skegness. Does anyone remember the park with the pedal cars? This was my favourite activity. I just loved going round and round the paths is the little car. As a young child I always wanted a pedal car of my own but they were expensive and girls in Bilborough did not have them!

I remember them and can prove it.

4McjZo9.jpg

• Upvote 4

Me too!

This looks as if it was taken a little longer ago - in fact it's got a date on the back - 15 August 1954. It's in a little folder - 'A Souvenir Photograph taken at Skegness' by Wrates, The Pier Entrance, Skegness. It may be one of a repeat order of three advertised as being available in folders for 2/6.

Malcolm20ast20Skegness2015.8.54_zpsxyx1l

• Upvote 4