Summer Holidays and Photos

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

Does anyone remember a double-decker bus at Ingoldmells in the 60s where you could buy takeaway fish and chips downstairs or sit and eat them at a table upstairs?

I think it may have been on a caravan site on Sea Lane?

I remember the WWII DKW landing craft that was used to take holiday makers along the beach. Now then, was that at Skeggy or was it Yarmouth?

Compo,they got something similar to the DKW at Hunstanton,they call them "Washmonster" I've pictures of them so will upload them when I get time

Rog

• Upvote 1

One thing I used to hate as a kid during holidays to New Brighton was being dragged off to sit in a deckchair in the park with snoozing adults listening to a brass band! What sort of holiday was that with a beach and a fun fair waiting!

• Upvote 1

On the radio the other day a request was made for seaside sounds anyone may have recorded. Most people have photographs but sounds are rare. My own sound memory is of a beachball being bounced on a concrete pavement and making a sort of 'belt' sound rather than a thud. Any other thoughts?

A common sound is after the waves have rolled up the beach; when they recede there is a loud sweesh sound as the shingle is disturbed.

#160 Chulla, your post reminded me of the following poem by Matthew Arnold..

Dover Beach

BY MATTHEW ARNOLD

The sea is calm tonight.

The tide is full, the moon lies fair

Upon the straits; on the French coast the light

Gleams and is gone; the cliffs of England stand,

Glimmering and vast, out in the tranquil bay.

Come to the window, sweet is the night-air!

Only, from the long line of spray

Where the sea meets the moon-blanched land,

Listen! you hear the grating roar

Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling,

At their return, up the high strand,

Begin, and cease, and then again begin,

With tremulous cadence slow, and bring

The eternal note of sadness in.

Sophocles long ago

Heard it on the Ægean, and it brought

Into his mind the turbid ebb and flow

Of human misery; we

Find also in the sound a thought,

Hearing it by this distant northern sea.

The Sea of Faith

Was once, too, at the full, and round earth’s shore

Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furled.

But now I only hear

Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,

Retreating, to the breath

Of the night-wind, down the vast edges drear

And naked shingles of the world.

Ah, love, let us be true

To one another! for the world, which seems

To lie before us like a land of dreams,

So various, so beautiful, so new,

Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,

Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;

And we are here as on a darkling plain

Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,

Where ignorant armies clash by night.

• Upvote 4

Tomlinson: What about the robust "Thunk" of a railway carriage door closing before the guard's whistle and replying "Pop!" from the locomotive whistle; followed by the roar of steam being forced through open cylinder drain-cocks, and then the Rrrrrumph! of the first exhaust blast up the chimney, as the train left the station, bound for the seaside.

• Upvote 2

#162. Don't forget the clackety-clack of the carriage bogies going over the gaps in the rails. Not heard on straight sections now.

• Upvote 1

#160. When we used to stay at ny m-i-laws on the seafront, even in the dead of winter, no matter how frigid it was, we had the bedroom windows open, to hear the sea on the shingles.

We stayed at the Two Lifeboats in Sheringham years ago and you could hear the waves, and the rigging of the little dinghy's clattering on the metal masts....... Beautiful !!!!!

We also stayed at a pub in Whitstable, the Duke of Cambridge I think. Same noises. It irritated some guests, but not me.

Why visit the coast then complain about the local sounds? It's like these numbskulls who move to rural areas then moan about farm smells and cockerels crowing....... Tossers !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I love the sounds made by the sea birds. A good friend and former work colleague is now very elderly and house bound. When we were at Bempton Cliffs RSPB reserve I called her on my mobile and held it so she could hear the sea birds and the waves. Fortunately the phone does not communicate the smell of the Gannnet droppings!

• Upvote 3

I used to like the cry of the seagulls - until we lived at the seaside, and watched them nicking folks' cakes, sandwiches, ice cream cornets, fish and chips, Cornish pasties etc. when we concluded that they are really flying rats !

• Upvote 2

When we were on holiday in Shetland I was talking to some local people about the long summer days and short nights. One of them said that the short period of darkness did not cause a problem in getting enough sleep except when one of the gulls sat on the roof told a joke and all the rest of them spent hours laughing at it!

• Upvote 2

Chulla #163: The track outside my house is still fishplated bullhead rail sitting in 1923 chairs on wooden sleepers. Trains clickety-clack as they pass.

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...