Summer Holidays and Photos

Benjamin, he was from Bulwell, he was the caretaker of the church that used to be where the bus station is now. They then moved about and ended up on Cheltenham st at Basford. Howard Foster was his name.

The old bloke on the end is the wifes dad, born near Louth, but brought up at Cherry Orchard, was a bus driver for Bartons and the corpo, was also a lorry driver. Kenny Bakers dad would have been his brother.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

OH right mate,i obviously saw em both about,had relatives on Cheltenham and round the corner from Cherry Orchard.

• 5 weeks later...

I used to holiday on the continent most years, but after I retired 10 years ago, I bought a touring caravan, and might I say that I have enjoyed the last 10 years travelling around the good old UK much more than all the time I spent abroad. True, the weather hasn't always been as nice, but, by golly, the scenery beats the rest of Europe into fits. I've seen old ruined abbeys and castles, I've seen sandy beaches and rugged cliffs.....hills, mountains and moreland. The people are always nice and friendly and speak very good English and you don't have to convert your currency. There is no hanging around in airports or railway stations wondering how much longer you have to wait until you can get away, but the best thing for me is that I can take my dog with me. guess some of you out there will argue against this, but I wish I had done it right from the start. I always go away for a full month...( no point in pulling a caravan around for just a week ). In May, I am off to Whitsand Bay in Cornwall. Never been there before so I am really looking forward to it. Happy Holidays

• Upvote 3

I've gone the other way 'just me'..............until about ten years ago hardly went abroad.............and worked in most areas (cities) of mainland Britain including the holiday places.........so wanted to sample foriegn places and soak up a bit of Sun..........my ideal would be in a warm climate every winter,just coming home for the Summer.............i can dream can't i ..................

Hi Ben....I wanted the winters abroad and the summers here too. I planned to buy a Winnibago and site it in Spain, but as all good plans...they went to pot. Will you be going to the meet up in April at the \Roebuck?

We nearly bought in Spain in 2007,just before the crash,so glad we did'nt............can't afford to now,live in hopes of one of my sons buying out there,.......doubt i'll be at the meet-up,.......the work i do now either takes up Evenings or very early mornings,.....but if ever you in Bulwell 9am mon-fri i 'll let you buy me an esspresso in Wetherspoons...........lol.

Just Me, we have friends, originally from Nottingham but who re-located to the east coast of Scotland a few years ago. They have a massive mobile home which even has a Smart Car in the back of it. They go away in it to Southern Spain in early September and return to the UK in May. They have a dog which goes with them, until a few months ago they had two dogs. It sounds good to go chasing the sun for half the year but I don't think I could hack the 'camping' for that long.

We had a place in Florida until 2 years ago but with a dog and a 9 hour flight to contend with every time we fancied going there we decided to sell it and have bought in France now. So much easier to get to and dogs are welcome everywhere, even in the poshest restaurants.

Worth considering taking your caravan over to Europe, but not in August when the Europeans take their vacations.

• Upvote 4

So can I bring Lucy the Labrador to the next meet?

She's chubby,blonde and nicknamed 'Lickety Luce'.

As a kid we went all over,Cawsand,Aberystwyth, Sedbergh, Cork,Ifracombe.. but I loved Scotland.. Wanted to swap those cobbles for moors and glens!

Nowadays I want the sun..I'd bogger off tomorrow if truth be known- no loft full of junk- garage full of junk.

Simple villa with small smattering of grass and alpine low - maintenance plants! Sun,sea,sangria..and any other S.

Let me know if you crack it Ian.............i'm coming with you,i'll do likewise......Lizzie's not offering is she ...............lol.

Lythem St Annes for a two week cycling holiday in Spring. Devon or Cornwall for a one week family holiday in Summer. Skegness for a one week cycling holiday in early Autumn and if we are even luckier; a couple of two nighters in York etc. Not forgetting our great one nighters with the Nottstalgians. Absolutely love our Country, that's all we need now. "OH, We really want to visit Ireland" one day. :)

• Upvote 2