Summer Holidays and Photos

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

Summer 1960, I was not quite ten years old at the time. Dad decided that we would have a whole week on holiday this year so he hired a car and off we went to Southend-on-Sea for a change from the Lincolnshire coast. Our holiday home was a B&B in a street behind the sea front and across the road was a gasometer - remember those?

Throughout the week we explored the Essex and Kent coast and squeezed in a visit to dad's wartime pal on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent. That led to a week in Sheerness the following year but that's another story. I remember the replica of the "Golden Hind" moored by Southend pier and the lovely green and cream trains that ran the 1.3 miles length of the pier to the theatre and amusements at the end.

Off all the memories of that week, the one that stands out above all others for both me and my brother was the breakfast at Mrs Rudd's B&B. It was cereal followed by bacon and eggs accompanied by chips fried in the bacon fat. I have to say that it isn't the most pleasant of memories!

• Upvote 3

When I was small, we spent a week in Southend about the same time. I can remember on the the promenade, we always used to stop at the Guinness musical clock, about the size of an advertising hoarding. I was fascinated by this large, automaton-type thing, with the toucans, and other animals moving all over the place when it chimed.

• Upvote 1

My holidays were magic,train from Midland station (dad worked on the railways) and off to Caister on sea (Great Yarmouth) same caravan every year "TORESTIN" on Sycamore Caravan Park near the dog track and I think stock cars.

Gas lights only but i had "My Lady Catherine" radio to listen to and off to the beach in front of the Lifeboat Station about a mile walk.

Trips into Yarmouth, shows on "both piers" ride on the pedal cars and of course the fun fair.

The main street was always packed and the "Bloater Shop" did a roaring trade posting wooden boxes of Bloaters back to Nottingham.

The river Yare full of fishing boats and a trip on the river on something special,a converted Motor gun boat which my dad had served on in WWII.

My dad was stationed there when my mother was pregnant with me so I spent a few months there before being born two days after D Day.

All this in the early 50s onwards,before leaving for Australia in 1967 the family went back again this time my wife was pregnant with our only child...

• Upvote 2

When I was a weedy youth, girls on the beach used to shout 'tin-ribs' at me. One day a big bully came along and kicked sand into my face and pushed me over. The girls laughed at me. When I went home I bought a copy of the Wizard comic and, after looking at the adverts, instead of sending off for a Seebackroscope I sent for a body-building course from Charles Atlas. The next year, at the seaside, the bully came back and kicked sand into my face. I bopped him on the nose and he ran away, with the girls laughing at him before they swooned at me feet.

• Upvote 2

This from Wikipedia:

"Southend Pier is a major landmark in Southend-on-Sea. Extending 1.34 miles (2.16 km) into the Thames Estuary, it is the longest pleasure pier in the world."

• 4 weeks later...

How about some lovely seaside photos, folks? Let's see photos of yourselves, friends or for that matter anyone at the seaside. Here'sa starter-for-ten....two unidentified old ladies at the seaside in the early 1960s:

images%2B%252811%2529.jpg

• Upvote 2

A Ford Thames 400E, in minibus guise, and an E-Series Vauxhall Wyvern. Note the inflated tyre inner tubes, in which the assembled friends would bobble about the waves in - simple seaside fun, with no sign of a mobile phone or jet ski anywhere! Photo snaffled from www.oldclassiccar.co.uk.

thames-400e.jpg

• Upvote 3

Compo #240, Great memories, seeing the patch on one of the tubes reminded me that my dad always took the bike puncture repair kit with him to the beach just in case. The valve stem in the tube could do untold damage if you were not careful.

Often used truck inner tubes to go over the small weir on the far side of the island at Hazelford Ferry, a short walk downstream from the Star and Garter? and over to the lock on the island or a swim across the main river to the island. When we could afford it we progressed to the lilo's similar to the one the girl is sitting on. An early version of today's body boards

• Upvote 2

So many kids drifted out to sea on those Lilos (#241) and drowned. These days it would be unheard of to let a child go to sea on a plastic airbed. My friend Peter Occleshaw (Aged 10yrs) drowned at Skeggy in 1961.

Our first trip abroad was a day trip to Bolougne on a ferry from the end of Southend-on-sea pier. That would be about 1962. As I recall, it rained and the sea was rough.

My father used to be a scout master so our holidays always used to be camping. Both he and mum were born north of the lakes( Barrow in Furness and Millom) so I think we saw every corner of the lakes and visited all the places they spent their courting and early married days , always on a tandum. Then when I was born they added a sidecar. Feeding me was never a problem aparently because they gave me a bottle and there I'd be on my back feet in the air balancing my feeding bottle.

I dont think my parents would have ever settled in an hotel. We then started camping in a ridge tent and when it rained ...careful not to touch the roof and then having to run your finger down the roof and walls so it didnt leak. We went onto a frame tent , then a bigger one with bedrooms until dad bought a caravan then an awning so all the family could join in.

I remember the first time we crossed the channel arriving at Calais, customs officer if we'd got anything to declare. " such as what " dad asked and mum said " ssshh hes got a gun",

• Upvote 4

Love the great outdoors but hate camping,.......only done it twice,first time was when i walked the Penine Way in 82' (well most of it) got caught in a storm and could'nt make the youth hostel............spent the night in a 'one man' Tent with 3 others bleddy night-mare......the only other time was with a girlfriend in North Wales,chucked it down again a nightmare......i was on the way to Bangor as well............lol.

• Upvote 4

Great song that carnie...............on a par with 'seven little girls sitting in the back seat'............i'm sure you'll give us the next line gel.............lol.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin #244

Reminds me of my son closing a best man speech.

I hope the newly married couple enjoy their holiday in Wales. I think that's where they're going because when I asked Mark (the groom) what he was doing next he said he was going to Bangor for a fortnight.

• Upvote 3

Well, it's summer holiday time for me and The Gambia beckons. I fly from Inverness to Gatwick tomorrow and then on the Gambia early Monday morning. Back on 20th April.

• Upvote 3