Summer Holidays and Photos

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

I'm going to get there before Carni! "Hugging and a kissing with Fred"

Why don't one of ya,come up and. sit beside me ,this is what the little girls said,..............go for it Margie or carnie..........or any one

• Upvote 1

Keep your mind on your driving, keep your hands on the wheel and keep your snoopy (?) eyes on the road ahead.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Margie............you may as well finish it off now................lol.

Compo.

Enjoy your trip to the Gambia, it is lovely. They have got hassling you for money, off to a fine art.

Whilst we were there I noticed that the 2 dalasai coin, which is pretty worthless in comparison to British pennies, was the same size and shape as a fifty pence coin. They worked well on the buses.

#257.............that was a great singalong Carnie and Margie..........even at this distance lol.

• Upvote 1

I've been singing it on and off all day - in my head. They don't write songs like that nowadays (probably a good thing?)

• Upvote 2

Summer holidays with my old man was like being in a Gainsborough pictures film!

A lump of Kendal Mint Cake/climb Plynlimon/German field water flask/

And a Vesta beef curry for tea..shorts were fallin' off me by time I got 'ome!!

Ian #262

Ah, Kendal mint cake one of the tastes of summer camping in the Lake District along with Deb instant mashed potato, Surprise peas and tins of stewing steak. Rations and stoves and utensils all carried on your back along with the two man "Itisa" tent and water from the streams.

On one "memorable" hike over Wetherlam in the Coniston Fells to camp near Levers Water one of my mates, new to camping, was given the task of making the mashed potato and did not know that you had to add the Deb to boiling water and used cold water from a spring. The result was something akin to a concrete block and being the last night on the fells dinner was just stewing steak and Surprise peas.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

A friend recently posted a picture of himself on Facebook and he's wearing a brightly coloured striped blazer. I commented he looked like a seaside photographer. It appears that several people didn't know what I meant or I meant he looked like a paedophile. Perhaps a reminder I'm getting on but surely you can remember visiting Skeggy and getting snapped by a photographer and going later to look at your picture displayed in a booth which you could buy  if you wanted. They often wore a snazzy jacket. 

• Upvote 2

Remember it well. There's a photo of me with a tiny little monkey in my arms taken at Morecambe when I was a child. A lot of these photographers carried animals around with them for that purpose. A practice I would heartily disapprove of now!

I have many "walking photographs" of my grandparents taken in the 30s and 40s from their holidays, often on the pier. Youngsters today don't always realise that photography and cameras were an expensive hobby in those days and seaside photographs offered an opportunity to record an occasion for a reasonable sum. We didn't always have mobile phones with cameras to record our every movement, thank goodness!

I have a lot of walking pictures of my parents and grandparents taken like this too Jill. I think the present generation who can take selfies, photos and even high quality video on their phone find it difficult to relate to a time, not that long ago when a simple photo was not an everyday occurrence nor an instant result obtainable. Oh the joy and sometimes disappointment when you got your photos back from the chemist.

• Upvote 1

Yes indeed, letsavagoo! I still have a fair number of those paper packets which contained the photos. Some have drawings of Nottingham landmarks on the front, e.g. the castle. Got some from the 70s somewhere, containing photos of a Spitfire in the market square, taken by my father!

Dad was a keen photographer and I remember the old box brownie from my childhood! Times change, eh?:rolleyes:

# 264 Somewhere among the photos of my Mum, Dad and Brother taken at Skegness on holiday or during the "pit trip" are photos stamped on the back by Wrates they used to "snap" you coming from the station and walking up Lumley Road

Typical photos and a history can be seen here https://gohomeonapostcard.wordpress.com/companies/wrates-skegness/ well worth a look/read

• Upvote 1

Jill my dad too was a keen photographer. I used to help him develop and print all the photos he took.

Once coming home all sweaty and thirsty from brownies, I spotted a pop bottle on the hearth. I immediately went to drink out of the bottle. I'd taken a small sip when my dad shouted me to leave it alone. It was developing liquid for a roll of film. Got the fright of my life but still here to tell the tail.Apparently the developer was too cold to use and was put in the hearth to adjust its temperature and mum and dad didnt expect me in so soon.

Besides all my photos, negatives, slides and used rolls I inherited all my dads negatives and there are A LOT.

I love looking through them but I get carried away and forget about everything else.

• Upvote 1

The old box Brownie eh Jill?  That brought back a few memories.  I could barely afford to keep the thing supplied with film.  Especially when you consider the processing costs.  Got my first 35mm camera from Boots in 1967.  I still have a lot of slides taken with that one.  Probably worked out cheaper than the Brownie as you' paid for the processing once you bought the film.  Stil got the old projector gathering dust in the cupboard.  We've sure seen some big shifts in technology in a our lifetimes.

• Upvote 2