Summer Holidays and Photos

I remember when an apprentice at the NCB many lives ago, there was a lecture on the uses of coal - included in which was Coal Tar Soap.  Trust the EU to stuff things up yet again!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

As a child standing at the sink in grandmas scullery having the 'tide' marks removed from my neck I loved the smell of carbolic soap. Stung like buggery when it went in your eyes but I'd use it today if it were available. We have Wrights coal tar occasionally but it's not the same as it was.

In the bathroom at the moment is a plunger bottle of gloop that I'm assured is eco friendly yet the blurb on the front seems to suggest they raped a tropical rain forest for the ingredients. Why they think I want to smear my skin with the extracts of exotic flowers is beyond me.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Brew said:

In the bathroom at the moment is a plunger bottle of gloop that I'm assured is eco friendly yet the blurb on the front seems to suggest they raped a tropical rain forest for the ingredients. Why they think I want to smear my skin with the extracts of exotic flowers is beyond me.

We're using 'strawberry laces' handwash at the moment - smells good enough to eat!

Mrs Compo like soaps purchased (almost needing a mortgage) from Lush shops.  I prefer Wrights Coal Tar and Pears transparent soaps.

I'm not on holiday but living in the far north I often visit holiday type destinations.  This is a photo I took yesterday on my way to do a spot of rock fishing at the end of the rocks you can see in the photo:

36763629162_2082039bee_h.jpg

And this is what i caught.  A nice 5lbs Pollack:

36764055822_98489d03ff_h.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Only the golden fish, Margie!  As NBL says, the fish was a valuable catch.  With fish being so expensive it has saved much money.  It made two big fillets and fourteen fish cakes.  Fillets eaten in batter, with dripping cooked chips; fish cakes in freezer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think that most people went to Skegness, Mablethorpe or around that region when we were kids. Us kids prefered staying in a caravan to a boarding house because it was exciting and you got more freedom. It was more work for my parents but, as kids, we weren't really bothered about that...lol. The photo below is of me, my sister and next eldest brother making sure my mum hurried up with the dinner..lol. Even from an early age you could tell that I'd grow up to be a good looking, muscular, benjamin1945 lookalike. :biggrin:

image.jpg

• Like 7

Lots of talk about Skeggy and lovely photos taken there but I never went to Skegness until I was 16 and then it was with a hiking group. Coach trip there with group everyone to do what they wanted and pubs on the way home.

Photos , Not got a lot of when we were young. My dad must have taken hundreds as he was a keen photographer and printed all his photos keeping all the negatives in a dressing table drawer. My brother found that he could unscrew the drawer knob and wee through the hole and finish putting the knob back on. It took my mum ages to find what the smell was. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Phew ! (Kisses the front steps on alighting from the car) 

Just back from the nine days at the most northern extremity of 'human civilisation. Where,you might wonder !

Alaska, Siberia, the Arctic Circle...... No, just Northumberland!

Now I previously thought that normality ceased to exist about five miles north of Berwick on Tweed, but have adjusted my limit to North Yorkshire. 

The women were all thick thighed Peppa Pig look a likes, with rosy cheeks, and the chaps were all stout bandy legged slap heads ! 

I can't wait to see a pretty face and a pert bottom ! Female, I might add !

Seriously though, everyone was extremely friendly, and the food was mostly gigantic piles of stodgy things. I couldn't understand a word, so I just smiled and agreed with everyone.

However, some of the most beautiful and stunning scenery you'll see anywhere in the world. 

No bleddy broadband, and my sodding mobile packed up after five days too !

Glad to be back to relative sanity though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3