Summer Holidays and Photos

Nice American diner just up the A1 near Cromwell, and a Little Chef near the Hykeham roundabout A46, love their pancakes with maple syrup

Rog

• Like 1
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

Just now, plantfit said:

Nice American diner just up the A1 near Cromwell, and a Little Chef near the Hykeham roundabout A46, love their pancakes with maple syrup

Rog

Yes Rog. I still call into that one, one of the few left, or Pennells Garden Centre cafe. I pass that way regularly.

• Like 1

Last Yankee doodle Dandy was on the AI just before Xmas on the way to the in-laws,,sang a couple of lines of it to the young waitress on ordering.......she was'nt impressed......never heard of it,, she told me,, ah well,,missed out dint she,, can't sing at all now,,mind you lots of things i can't do now,,

Blow a balloon up

Blow candles out

Whisper sweet nothings

Be heard when i laugh

or even when i cry,,

Shout 'fuck' when i stub my toe..

LOL......wish i could

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Yes been in both of those,, even did interviews in them.....

• Like 1

I don't know why the Brits struggle with making coffee.  I think the worst cup I ever had was in manchester airport.  seems like most places in Canada and  the US can make a decent coffee.  Tea's not so good though

I imagine American Coffee to be crap Loppy,,..i see Clint Eastwood and John Wayne drink it without 'Grimacing'

To my mind good coffee deserves a 'Grimace'        lol

• Like 1

When I was driving for a living in the late 90's, I mostly used the A1 Truck Stop at Markham Moor.

When busy, the staff would shout 'All truck drivers to the front please'. Brilliant !

• Like 2
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I don't know why the Brits struggle with making coffee.  I think the worst cup I ever had was in manchester airport.  seems like most places in Canada and  the US can make a decent coffee.  Tea's not so good though

Americans don’t really drink tea though do they Loppy?  When we had a place over there we struggled to buy a kettle, suppose because coffee is their preference and they all have coffee machines to do the job.  Couldn’t find a kettle in Best Buy or other electrical retailers, think we got one in Target eventually.  

• Like 1

No, tea is not big in North America Lizzie.  Down here in GA they drink a lot of that disgusting Iced Tea.  Most Nottinghamians would have some hard words to say about that.  :biggrin:  Seemed like around my family they liked tea so stong you could stand the spoon up in it..

Electric kettles are rare.  I never really understood why.  They heat their kettles up on the stove.  That seems very inefficient to me.  We found one in Canada at Costco.  Still have it 25+ years later.

Ben.....I don't know about grimacing when you drink N A Coffee.  My favorite isTim Horton'swith cream and sugar.  Niceand smooth won't make you grimace, but if you drink too much you'll be peeing at every tree.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Damn. It used to be good to go back for a visit and still see biscuits, fairy cakes, etc instead of cookies, muffins and everything else that used to be so British. 

• Like 2

Oo now you've done it, young Jill. I could just eat some faggots and chips. Bought some frozen ones when over in the summer. Taste and texture more like meatballs over here. 

Nothing like ruining a thread, we've gone from summer hols to transport caff/truck stops to fairy cakes to pouffs to faggots. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I was of the opinion that a truck stop in the UK was one where wagons could park up overnight with facilities for drivers to shower, relax and refresh as well as providing a cafe. This was certainly the case a few years back when I dealt with clients who operated such premises.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Fags are ok.  They were just cigarettes when I was a pup.

Now they're draped in a rainbow flag

Rogisitsafe

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...
On 10/8/2018 at 10:59 AM, loppylugs said:

Down here in GA they drink a lot of that disgusting Iced Tea.

Here in Adelaide South Australia is one of the few places in the world where another beverage outsells Coca Cola.

Much beloved by tradies the tag line of the product is FUIC Farmers Union Iced Coffee. A flavoured milk drink, I don't like it, not enough coffee, too much sugar

Reddit - Dive into anything

Farmers Union Iced Coffee - Michael Skarbek - Creative Consultant