Summer Holidays and Photos

In my youth, 1950s and 60s, The biggest annual event next to Xmas was the annual summer holiday. If we were lucky we would get a whole week away; if not then it would be odd days out on either bus, train or hire car.

This is a photo of me at about two or three years old circa 1953 at Skeggy:

scan0008.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

Here's another holiday photo. Judging by the number in the bottom right hand corner, I suspect this one was taken by one of those photographers who used to patrol the town and beach taking shots for you to buy the following day. This is me in 1954 or 55 with my grandparents. Taken on Lumley Road, Skegness. My grandfather was a WWI veteran and my grandmother was a spiritualist medium; in fact, she is probably watching me post this right now!

scan0002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

When pits and other industries took block holidays friends of parents were often met at the coast doing the same as everyone else. No one worried then about taking kids out of school for the annual break. There was no choice to do otherwise.

• Upvote 3

I can remember those holidays and those photos taken by street photographers, we had loads.....we used to go away for a week every year (pit weeks) last week in July or 1st week in August....It was to Skeggy one year and Bridlington the next, this went on for years from around 1949 -1960, always looked forward to it, had new clothes........The photo on the beach in a deck chair with overcoat was a regular thing, It was always wet, chilly and windy, you never went without your packamac or overcoat........Stayed in a caravan whilst you were nippers, then went in a boarding house after you were house trained, always with your mam and dad, sometimes grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends........Never went without the old Brownie Camera and took endless snaps, fought like cat and dog, but we always had a good time........aye, them were the days.....

• Upvote 7

Could be by the same photographer as in #3!

I would guess this was 1953 in Skegness. Furthest left is my grandmother, who would then have been in her mid-70s, and holding my hand is her friend Edie Stevenett who I see is having to carry my bucket and spade.

Skeg1_zpseh9g6eta.jpg

• Upvote 4

I think that most people went to Skegness, Mablethorpe or around that region when we were kids. Us kids prefered staying in a caravan to a boarding house because it was exciting and you got more freedom. It was more work for my parents but, as kids, we weren't really bothered about that...lol. The photo below is of me, my sister and next eldest brother making sure my mum hurried up with the dinner..lol. Even from an early age you could tell that I'd grow up to be a good looking, muscular, benjamin1945 lookalike. :biggrin:

Michael%20Arch%20And%20Margaret%20Indian

• Upvote 6

You're like me Michael, a perpetual dreamer..... LOL

• Upvote 1

Here's another holiday photo. Judging by the number in the bottom right hand corner, I suspect this one was taken by one of those photographers who used to patrol the town and beach taking shots for you to buy the following day. This is me in 1954 or 55 with my grandparents. Taken on Lumley Road, Skegness. My grandfather was a WWI veteran and my grandmother was a spiritualist medium; in fact, she is probably watching me post this right now!

scan0002.jpg

Your gran looks a lot like my great aunt Ada who was also a spiritualist medium from Mansfield........the family were all scared of her....same era too..........

I seem to remember there was photographers called Wraits or something similar.

I remember the kids with there home made trolleys at mablethorpe station loading visitors cases and showing the way to the caravans, probably late fifties.

• Upvote 2

Is there anybody there ? LOL.

Answer 3 for yes or 2 for no..........

• Upvote 1

Could be by the same photographer as in #3!

I would guess this was 1953 in Skegness. Furthest left is my grandmother, who would then have been in her mid-70s, and holding my hand is her friend Edie Stevenett who I see is having to carry my bucket and spade.

Skeg1_zpseh9g6eta.jpg

Gert and Daisy.......All the old dears dressed the same back then.....even looked the same...

I met my wife in Mablethorpe when on holiday with my mate and his family in 1956 and we are still together.

• Upvote 6

I once read about a group of swingers in Skegness. :biggrin:

wasn't us was it carni cross me art teee heee

• Upvote 1