Summer Holidays and Photos

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

The photos of me as a little girl and also as a teenager seem to have disappeared on this thread, which makes some of the subsequent comments irrelevant.   Can't remember if they were put on via Postimage or photobucket.   Never mind...

20 minutes ago, MargieH said:

The photos of me as a little girl and also as a teenager seem to have disappeared on this thread, which makes some of the subsequent comments irrelevant.  

They will be on Postimage Margie. (or not).    They were posted a while after the Photobucket disaster, so they will have disappeared with the Postimage mini-disappearance at the end of last year.

• Like 1

Thanks CT.   I might think about reposting some of them at some point... although I'd have to ration them out a bit as I don't want to flood the site with my pics!!

Could my posts which refer to the photos be deleted, also the subsequent comments as neither make any sense without the photos..?  

• Like 1

A few days south of the border saw me taking in Rothbury (Northumberland) and Peebles (Southern uplands of Scotland):

The River Coquet at Rothbury44354653264_0cacb51884_b.jpg

Rothbury village green

31201987738_0b44868bec_b.jpg

The Armstrong almshouses

44163506895_1307edd72f_b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Cragside, the NT home of the Armstrongs in Rothbury is awesome. I've been several times, and there's always something different to see.

You must be loaded, Fly! It costs an absolute fortune to go into Cragside.

Peebles and district:

Peebles high street (two views)

31202589148_f121ce9b5b_b.jpg

30138510807_ca54c5bef9_b.jpg

Town bridge over the River Tweed:

43262720920_ef56e432a1_b.jpg

44164290435_7a29a68253_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I've been a National Trust member since my mid teens Compo. I visit maybe ten properties per year, and of course Car Parks are free for members at many coastal sites.

• Like 1

The Moorfoot Hills:

The Moorfoot hills from Windlestraw Law:

44354527484_f6786c1abd_b.jpg

A Grouse shooting box on the moors of Windlestraw Law:

43262037660_eaf51c67d6_b.jpg

45026371832_6161c627bb_b.jpg

Bareback Hill summit cairn:

31201842718_736a2dfd12_b.jpg

And finally, Walkerburn bridge..."Lattice girder?"

43262699670_f83946b723_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've just realised....the last time I was in Rothbury was in 1981.  There was a Morris and sword dance festival and I was in the gear that I am wearing in my avatar picture!  I was in a side that danced through the Rothbury Streets.

• Upvote 1

Just for you Margie, knowing your love of old maps, roads and byways etc.

Went to Carmarthen yesterday, A 453, M1, A / M42, M5, M50, A40 to Llangunnor. Had breakfast in Abergavenny, an interesting little town.

Today, left Llangunnor, A48 , M4, A350, A36 etc to Lymington in Hants.

Weather yesterday was brilliant, up to 20. Today, horrible heavy rain, windy and down to 8. Good job I didn't bring shorts or bathers !

You must like driving FLY.  I've just checked and it must have taken getting on for 3 hours even to get to Abergavenny for breakfast.... what time did you leave home?  And then the long drive from Camarthen to Lymington - another 3 - 4 hours.     But now you can relax at the seaside - although it doesn't sound much like seaside weather today!    Hope you enjoy it anyway.

• Upvote 1

7am departure, 10 am breakfast. I always go that way over the Brecon Beacons, as its such beautiful scenery in the autumn, and the M4 is so depressing, even on a sunny day. 

It was really depressing on the M4 this morning, and Sarn Services must be the worst on the whole Mway system. One tasteless coffee between us. Had coffee and cake at a garden centre on the A350 near Malmsbury. Equally horrible as Christmas music was blaring out already, and the place was teeming with noisy kids, and all I wanted was a few minutes peace from the windscreen wipers incessantly flapping from side to side.

Ok now though. Been promised fish and chips tonight. Yippee !

• Like 3

I've had many a good breakfast at truck stops loppy ! Although I invariably want to curl up and go to sleep after a mega one !

SWMBO in the Golspie big burn woods, East Sutherland, on Friday morning:

45104752982_84feae1c5d_c.jpg

I wasn't intending to bash truck stops.  quite often they serve some pretty good food. My beef was more with the Interstate system here. Mosty four lanes two up two down.  I think the UK learned from the US and improved on our system here with a minimum of three lanes in each direction.  Not much can be done about the quality of the services.  That seems to depend on who's running them.

• Upvote 1

Stopped there a few times Phil............loved the old truck stops back in the 60s mainly,,and early 70s,,was constantly on the road,,but got addicted to 'Little Chefs'' all over the country from late 70s onwards,,breakfast and late dinner most days........don't think many about nowadays.....but when i do travel always look out for 'American Diners'' love em,,Pancakes with everything,,sadly the Coffee is crap........

Edit,, love their 'Yankee doodle dandies''......lol

• Like 1