Summer Holidays and Photos

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me with my Mum and Dad. Same place, Mablethorpe, obviously different years ...... 1951 and 1954. Essential bucket and spade plus the Brownie Box Camera going on the beach too. There must have been a b

There's a long-running theory that everyone on Nottstalgia has met everyone else somewhere in the past. Look at LizzieM's two photos at #47, and then look at the location here. Same place, a few years

We went to Skegness and witnessed some totally disgusting behaviour on the beach. A man and woman were arguing in front of a load of kids. She smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between

The peroxide Blonde. Can you imagine that gang plus 2 in a fourberth caravan 2yrs later. That pic was taken the day after we met. Chris is standing by me smoking his Parky.

Benjamin, the other photo I have of them isn't as clear, but same pose, and he had his tie on in that one.

• Upvote 5

You're a bleddy woffler caftan !!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Here's 2 photos from an album my brother has. The black car was a Standard 12 and this was about 1948. My dad worked for the Ministry of Food so had a car for his work [and for taking us on our annual holidays to Chapel St Leonards!]

Our 'caravan' was on a small site on Sea Road, just opposite the Grange Hotel, and was an old railway carriage with 3 'rooms'

image.jpg2_zpsbms0ujto.jpg

• Upvote 5

#47 bottom. Lizzie, your dad was a pipe-smoker - yes? Must have been a good bloke if so. To me he has a little of the Gallic look about him. Any French blood in the family genes?

#88. Alphonse, Antonio, cheese, spaghetti, what's the difference. lol

• Upvote 1

Strange you should make that comment as I showed a friend the photos the other day and she said he looked Italian. But no,he was a Lenton chap of pure English stock. Also a pipe smoker, mostly on holiday. The rest of the time he puffed away on Park Drive untipped. Amazingly he was a very fit man in his younger days, playing semi-professional football and cricket. I miss him a lot, he only passed away 2 years ago, aged 91.

• Upvote 7

I can tell from your previous posts you loved and missed him Lizzie. That's great to feel like that.

• Upvote 1

Always fascinated me how many people look a different nationality,with the world being a 'melting pot' nowadays,its understandable,but back in our school days prob.50s there was still that percentage that had a foreign look,must be something in all our ancestery that caused it,don't you think?

I remember one day at school a Teacher got all those with Blue eyes and fair hair to stand up,and she then simplified the whole question,we who stood up were descended from the Saxons/Vikings,all the rest were'nt,and were probably Catholic,lol.

• Upvote 2

She didn't wear a black uniform with lightening flashes on the collar did she? lol

Rog

• Upvote 2

Re #92 - my dad used to have a book in which there were a number of poems giving generalised summaries of various foreign nationals. Highly racist and inflammatory today, no doubt.

Here are a couple, from memory :

"Swedes do not (as some suppose) dress only in beads; A recent traveller to Stockholm brought frock home."

"Egyptians are (as it were) of all descriptions. Some are prepared to be chummy. Others cling to mummy."

"In Tibet, they are not quite civilised yet. Very few lamas wear monogrammed pyjamas."

• Upvote 1

Slightly adrift of the subject; sometime in the early 1950s we were in a caravan at Ingoldmells. I cannot remember anything at all about the time there except for one incident. We sat outside on the grass and next to us was another party which included a couple of young women. One said to the other 'where shall we go tonight?' The other replied 'shall we go to the pictures?' 'What's on?' said the first. 'James Mason in The Upturned Glass' was the reply from the other after looking in a newspaper. This little conversation is all I can remember of that holiday.

I never forgot the name of that film, and over the years always looked out for it on TV, but never saw it. Fast-forward to this week, and a search on YouTube found it, and last night we sat and watched it. Was it worth waiting for? Yes, it was quite good, but there again James Mason, Britain's finest film actor, is always worth watching. Oh to have his wonderfully mellifluous voice. If I had I would have carni, Lizzie and Hippo Girl swooning at my feet; but they would be too late; Ava Gardner would have beat them to it (Also watched the two of them in Pandora and the Flying Dutchman) . Big sigh!!! Oh well, back to washing the pots.

• Upvote 4

My earliest memory of the seaside was going to Ingoldmels in 1956 & staying in a caravan, beautiful weather but not much to do. In them days there were very little entertainment, you made your own.

What I remember was the "Sunshine Corner" crowd on the beach would round all us kids up & have a sing song etc.

Happy days.

• Upvote 1

Chulla, was I at the caravan with you? plus Grandma Whitlam and mam? If so, I remember something from that trip, the beach donkeys got out one night and raided the caravan site and ate the veg stored underneath folks' caravans. Also remember sirens, and someone saying there'd been a crash down the road. Funny the things that stick in your memory. I'd be about 5 I think.