Free Update to Windows 10 !

Security issues like this coming to light don't fill me with confidence they've got it all right before release

"A Windows 10 feature, Wi-Fi Sense, smells like a security risk: it shares WiFi passwords with the user's contacts.

Those contacts include their Outlook.com (nee Hotmail) contacts, Skype contacts and, with an opt-in, their Facebook friends."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

Microsoft always say that the latest version of Windows is the best ever.

I don't think they've really learnt their lesson yet.

Coercing people to use their products, and forcing them to believe they are great won't cut it anymore.

If you've used Windows update in the last few months you will more than likely have a little icon in your toolbar that expands at regular intervals to tell you to reserve your copy of Windows 10. If you do decide to go down that road then be prepared for your printer, scanner etc. to stop working and for all your software to need updating or replacing.

It will also be buggy and things won't work properly in all kinds of areas.

That's the Microsoft way. In about a years time after many hotfixes and several Service Packs, it might well be OK.

Very recently I was asked by a friend to set up a new computer she had bought.

Straight out of the box it needed a full hour and a half of tweaking and fannying around just to get it workable.

Then I had to delete all the 'bloatware', unwanted toolbars, advertising, 30 day software trials etc. etc.

Then I connected it to Windows update to get all the bug-fixes etc. and that took over 4 hours !

Compare that to a popular tablet computer where you get it out of the box, put in your Wi Fi code and away you go.

That's the beauty of assembling a computer from parts ordered, the only thing on the HD is the drivers, we always stipulate NO OS to be loaded on the HD. No bloatware, just a few minutes to burn the drivers to a CD for safe keeping, then load my OS of choice and my software. Worked for me for the last 20 years.