Think I'll holiday in Scotland

Crikey, I was over the moon at finding a tenner in the car park at Dingwall a few years ago.

We used to jokingly tell the tourists who'd come to see the Grand Canyon that it was formed by a canny Scotsman who'd dropped a penny down a slot in the ground.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

Well if recently booked a coach tour of Ullapool and north Scotland. I will be well stocked up with Anthisan and Jungle Juice to keep the midges at bay...... Hopefully!

• Upvote 1

Not wearing a skirt, sorry, kilt though!

FLY, but if you wore a kilt, you'd save a bit of space in your suitcase cos you wouldn't have to pack any underwear!!!

• Upvote 3

Re # 12. Who's been talking?

• Upvote 1

Nothing to talk about unless there's a gale force wind blowing while you're there or you decide to do a few cartwheels.....

I have holidayed three times in Scotland the last time was the year of Princess Diana's death, we travelled up the Friday before the funeral to overnight in Oban.

What we hadn't realised was our hotel (which was very nice) was on the front right next to the cathedral. We were woken at 6am the next morning when they started tolling a bloody big bell. We had an early breakfast and at 8am decided to have a look round, apart from a copper controlling car parking the place was closed, no shops nothing.

We decided to move on to Fort William our holiday central so to speak, everything from Oban to Fort William was closed including petrol stations. Arriving at FW we parked up and went for a walk down the main street. Again everything closed, shops, bars, cafe's everything.

The place came alive about mid afternoon and from then on we had a great time, friendly folks, lovely scenery, good food etc. The only complaint came from the driver, back then the 'A' roads marked in red on the map were sometimes just single track with passing places making progress slow. The road from FW to Mallaig being a prime example though they were doing major improvements at the time because of the heavy lorries hauling fish.

For railway enthusiasts the steam train journey from FW to Mallaig is a cracker and there's a champion chippy when you get there.

Been frequently Michael, brilliant.

• Upvote 1

And done all the steam railways.

Stayed nearby at Connel . Beautiful

In the mid 80's, my ex and I drove to Carlisle, left the car, and got Freedom of Scotland tickets. Valid from either Carlisle or Newcastle.

We did everywhere except the Aberdeen to Wick line. We stayed in B&Bs each night and had a fantastic time. Even Cal-Mac ferries were included. Great days.

• Upvote 1

The streets of Scotland are paved with gold - mostly discarded gold coloured plastic cider bottles :)

If anyone is seriously thinking of driving between Stirling and Inverness be warned.....There are 138 miles of continuous average speed cameras along the A9 road, so you can lose your licence in a single trip.

When I was based at Faslane in the early 60s we lived in Helensburgh which is only a short bus trip from Loch Lomond where we spent many a happy hour (when I wasn't at sea) These days when I wear the kilt I'm always asked what I wear under it my response is "Thats for me to know and you to find out if you dare" but only to the ladies

• Upvote 2

When we lived in England, number of visits to Scotland - 0

Move 5000 miles away, number of visits to Scotland - 8

Go figure!

• Upvote 4