Think I'll holiday in Scotland

Only been to Scotland once back in 1967.   It was great.  We found Scots folks to be very friendly and generous.  We'd been married two years, but I think a lot of 'em thought we were honeymooners.

You should go RR.  You might be the one to get a good photo of the Loch Ness monster.  ;)

Yes, I had a terrible and uncomfortable time many years ago on the west coast in June.

Ooooh, I feel all itchy now !

• Like 1
2 hours ago, catfan said:

Worrabaht the midges

? Eat you alive.

This past fortnight it has been the Clegs (Biting flies) that have been the big problem up here.  They love the hot, dry weahter and are biting in their thousands all over the far north.  Midges prefer dull, damp days.

9 hours ago, radfordred said:

do they still live in caves with spiders? 

Until the late 1960s there were families living in the coastal caves around the county town of Caithness, Wick.  Sadly they've all gone now - wonder if they ate each other to extinction? Come back Sawney Bean - all is forgiven.

thumbsup

The language around my little county is a form of ancient Doric.  After 25yrs in the far north I still can't fully understand a full-speed conversation among locals.  Even a basic greeting such as "Ftlikeeday?" can be confusing when spoken in full accent.

Had another fantastic time in the Highlands last month. 8 of our fishing club enjoyed fishing some awesome Lochs. Loch Shin (17 miles  long), Lochs Cam, Veyattie, Boralan and Urigill. Took my own boat up which enabled me to enter a very remote Loch that the estate boats cannot reach. Superb wild fishing and great drinking company. The pub we stay at is notorious for running out of beer when we hit the place, but this year, much to our delight the beer was always available and of excellent quality. Our reputation must have preceded us, resulting in a micro brewery being started up locally :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ARGH! You promised to let me know when you were up so that we cold get a pint together! :crazy:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Compo said:

ARGH! You promised to let me know when you were up so that we cold get a pint together! :crazy:

It got a bit hectic due to the usual organiser dropping out and I had to step in.  With getting everyone booked in, boats, engines and beats booked I was never sure where I would be at any one time. I will probably come up again late Aug, maybe by myself, in which case I will drop off by Loch Watten.

• Like 2

Are you sure it was a p[iper and not someone strangling a cat, Loppy?

Ya never know, Compo.  It sounded like Bagpipes to me anyway.  Besides the organ,  that is the only other instrument I've really wanted to play,  but I think Mrs L might wrap 'em round my neck if I did.

• Like 1

Last week was "Pipe band week" in my local town, Wick.  Every evening the pipe band marches up and down the high street sounding like a bunch of marauding thugs strangling every cat in the neighbourhood!  They even manage to "Perform" in closed spaces, such as pubs and halls.  :wacko:

• Like 3

Loud is right.  I once went to a Scots friend's wedding.  They had just one piper and you needed ear plugs.  He was a good musician but I guess they don't have a volume control.  I reckon if you tried to learn them you'd need ear plugs.  :Shock:

They learn using a chanter, Loppy; that's the bit that fits into the bag. It is like a recorder and can be blown into to provide the notes without the drones and bag....like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDrDcHoH1ZI

• Like 1