Families are odd!

This is an obituary for my Great Uncle George Hart from 1937 .

Found it yesterday , when trying to trace what had happened to my Grandads brothers from Carlton . I thought they had both ended up in America .

Found this by quoting Census addresses in the Newspaper archives .

Strange thing is that I don't ever remember his career ever being discussed and yet my mum used to correspond to his daughter .

From other newspaper snippets I would say George Hart was more on the retail side of things rather than in the manufacturing for Campion Cycles have had a look at old Campion cycle photos on PTP but don't see him in any .

He was also later managing director of the Surgical Hosiery Co . who seem to have had a few factories , one in Russell Street and the other in Colwick . Never knew we had a mason in the family either !

18330503068_5dda9913a1_o.jpg

This is George Hart bottom left . My Grandad and Grandma at the back centre and right . This could be Park Rd Carlton . Could be Georges daughter Winnie at the front , she cetainly lookis like him . Lady with necklace is Mrs Fozzard who as I mentioned in the seaside photos is always around !

18520394261_0e248c653e_b.jpg

• Upvote 7

Re; Campion Cycles. There's a surprisingly large number of photos on PTP.

Are they the same Campion's who were motorbike dealers in the 50s/60s? Searching the name on Nottstalgia brings up all the motorbike threads.

Partly answering my own question about a dealer called Campion's

On 09/03/2011 at 7:17 PM, OLDACE said:

...........,and there was Campion's (BSA)on the road the other side of the Midland Station from Station Street.

and I think that OLDACE may be referring to the pink building.

KnmLV31.jpg

Probably the same Campions .

There were some wanted adverts in the 1920s asking for any used motorbikes to resell and mentioning my great uncle by name at Campions Cycle shop .

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, Mr George Hart was a Manager of the Campion Cycle Co, Robin Hood, Street Nottingham, sometime between 1905 and 1920`s.

I have a picture of him that I will find tomorrow.

Currently just finishing a book on the same, having just finished restoring a bike. Any thing you need to know just ask?

regards dave

pics not loading? try tomorrow

• Upvote 1

Look forward to that !

Best to upload your photos onto a hosting site , such as photobucket and post the link from that .

The Campion Cycle Company began early in the 1880`s, by William Campion. His son Edwin joined him at London Rd, and Roden Street. William died in 1895 after a career ranging from early textile machinery (jenny Lind 1870) to the bicycles, exporting all over the world. It is with William That Thomas Humber was a blacksmith around 1867. By 1897 Edwin had gone Ltd with a Frederick Hutchinson, who`s father had four mills, one being on Russel St. By 1889 they had there first powered motorcycle that evolved into a car by 1911. They continued production through the war, and with a M.O.D contract, still surviving to produce new designs of motorcycle, up to 1928 when sold to Curry`s of Leicester fame. There is a lot of detail and pics. They also were competitive in racing around the country and Europe. Albert Ball VC road a V-Twin. At the End they had twenty outlets as far as Edinburgh!

The photo of Station St, was E.W. Campion and sons till about 1968. My Dad bought his 650 BSA from there.

Still trying on the pictures.The one I have got on I think is the works outing 1899.

Another interesting fact discovered by Richard English this week is that Mr Humber`s grave at Kingston on Thames is unmarked! We will be attempting to do something about this.

Regards Dave

• Upvote 2
  • 7 months later...

I can trace my family tree back to William Campion born c.1783 Nottingham who set up as a frame maker in Loughborough. His grandson, William, founded the Campion Cycle Company in 1892 after previously being a manufacturer of industrial knitting, welting, sewing machines etc as well as domestic (hand-operated) sewing machines.

Following his death in 1895, his son Edwin William Campion ran the company and after re-organisation in 1896 was joined as a director by Ernest Frederick Hutchinson, Ernest was the son of Rowland Hutchinson who later founded the Surgical Hosiery Company Ltd. on Russell Street.

George Hart, who has been mentioned in this discussion, was married to Ernest's sister Emma and was appointed manager of the Campion Cycle Depot, as their shops were called, at 2-4 Carlton Street, Nottingham. This was later extended in 1902/3 to incorporate no.6. George managed this shop well into the 1920s. Many of Campion's retail outlets were held outside the company in a partnership between Edwin Campion and Ernest Hutchinson but this was dissolved in 1922 and those shops divided between the two. Evidence points to Edwin Campion leaving the business, along with his portion of the retail outlets, and the company that bore his name being run by Ernest Hutchinson. The Carlton Street shop was not affected by this split. Campion was then taken over by in 1927/8 Currys, who people might not realise were originally cycle manufacturers and retailers from Leicester. Ernest Hutchinson was the sole negotiator for this and retained his position for 12 months to oversee the changeover. Rowland Hutchinson died in 1920 and his son Ernest was running The Surgical Hosiery Company as well as Campion. Following Ernest's death in 1929, George Hart took over.

Although reduced in size due to demolition for road widening, part of the site of Campion's outlet on Carlton Street is now occupied by a Sainsbury's local outlet.

• Upvote 2

I don't seem to have a Stephen in my family tree, although my Binns family did come from the New Basford, Hyson Green area. Maybe he is someone a lot younger than me, the son or grandson of a cousin.

Will check it out when I have time. I too have curly hair but it's white now!!

• Upvote 1

You're doing better than he is then, Brian. There was a photo of him on the now defunct Friends Reunited and he was bald!

Stephen would be my age, 58 pushing 59 and attended Berridge until 1969. He probably fits in somewhere.

On 05/10/2016 at 8:52 AM, Brian Binns said:

Campion was then taken over by in 1927/8 Currys, who people might not realise were originally cycle manufacturers and retailers from Leicester.

I've learned something new today !

On 05/10/2016 at 8:52 AM, Brian Binns said:

... was appointed manager of the Campion Cycle Depot, as their shops were called, at 2-4 Carlton Street, Nottingham. This was later extended in 1902/3 to incorporate no.6. George managed this shop well into the 1920s.

From a trade directory...... they seem to have also had a block of offices named after them - Campion Chambers. (Queen Street was the top end of Fletcher Gate)

cVaVh1j.jpg

And the Lord Nelson pub at No. 14 was still there within living memory of many people here.

Welcome Brian . I'm assuming you are the same very knowledgeable Brian that posts on the Rootsweb Nottingham message board . Your input should be useful on this site .

Thanks for the further info on my great uncle George Hart , didn't realise his wife was the boss's sister ..

We both joined in many threads on the Nottsgen board but it seems to have died a death now . I rarely see any messages now .

We did have one conversation about the GEM Supercentre at West Bridgford . I worked there whilst you were at Woolies . You must have some tales to tell of that shop ?

Checking my messages I see you did quote some news articles about Campions . One was a record time for a race to Boston I think on a Campion cycle .

Crikey never knew . That must have been a huge sum in 1937 . Never knew any of them as they died years before I was even born . I will have to check some of my mums old letters but have a feeling the daughter Winnie ended up in the USA .

• 1 year later...

I suppose she is what you could call " an early form of airbag"  to save the rider from being injured in the event of a front end collision

Rog