Is there any industry left in Nottingham now??? Remember when there was manufacturing, large and small engineering works, Cycle manufacturing, drugs and telephones, coal, building, knitted products and brick making.... It was hard to make ones mind up in the early 60's what to do when we left school.

• Upvote 2

My first job was at the Raleigh. It employed 6000 people back then. With the loss of Players, Raleigh (apart from the handful at Eastwood), Plessey and now a good chunk of Boots, the biggest employer in Nottingham is probably Experian.

Where all the manufacturing jobs (and the skills)? Certainly not in Nottingham anymore.

Still plenty of work out there,for those that are prepared to get off their backsides and go and look for it.!!!

• Upvote 1

Sad that those companies that provided so many opportunities when we left school are gone. Seems to be the trend everywhere not just Nottingham. Welcome to the new reality. Even a university degree and the student debt that often goes with it doesn't seem to guarantee much anymore.

Ben. I think its probably always been true that you can find some kind of job if you hustle out there, but are these jobs capable of providing a home and raising a family? Now it seems like both partners have to work just to provide the basics.

• Upvote 4

Mind, most kids these days don't want jobs where oil and grease are part of it. When we lived in Sacramento, there was a story in the Sunday Sacramento Bee about a toolmaker somewhere in the mid west who couldn't enitice youngsters to learn the trade. His business was suffering because he couldn't find skilled tool makers. Ironic as he was offering $35 an hour starting pay for skilled workers, all the overtime they wanted too.

I had a generator I wanted to rewind around that time, I stopped by one of Sacramento's rewind shops to purchase some wire and varnish, the owner got talking to me and tried to offer me a job, he started at $17 an hour, I turned it down, just had to much work on my plate. He went as high as $25 an hour, extremely high pay back then!!

He'd got so much work, and too few skilled people, as he said, attracting youngsters was impossible, they wanted clean office jobs.

• Upvote 1

Yes, that was starting when I left school, John. Be an accountant or a lawyer etc. I'm glad I went into a trade. Sure I got dirty and it was sometimes physically hard, but I never regretted it and the skills I learned have saved me thousands of $s over the years. I'd do it again if I was young.

• Upvote 1

7# Loppy. the answer to your question Loppy' is, to take the job show them that you are keen,clean honest and reliable,and the chances are you will rise thru the ranks,if you throw yourself into it...........however if you just want to winge about the job you've taken you won't. Also if after giving it a reasonable length of time the opportunity for progression is'nt there move on,at least youve got a good track record on your CV for future employment.

• Upvote 3

Can't argue with that, Ben. It's always been true, and if you took an apprenticeship in the 60s the pay was low and you had to sweep the floor and mash the tea, but they were good openings and plenty available. Pretty much guaranteed a job for life. I think those days are gone.

Funny thing is i went for interview this morning,ok it was'nt a full time regular job,but it was something i wanted on an 'as and when' basis,some of it in Notts and some in the West Midlands,they wanted me to start in the next few days,but as i go away in a couple of weeks i did'nt take it,however they told me when i get back,the work is there for me.,which made me very happy.

• Upvote 2

How many employers are moving out of Nottingham due to the implementation of the Work Place Parking Levy ?

I also remember a couple of years or so when Boots got chased by HMRC for many £Ks for subsidising their employees bus travel to work. This Loony Labour Council wanted private cars off the road, firstly they implemented the "Zone & Collar Scheme" many years ago, result ? Failure. 24 Hour Bus Lanes ? There's no bleddy buses running for 24 Hours ! Just generating revenue from the motorist for this spend happy council. Lastly the WPL as mentioned, no one from the council will say how many companies have left the city.

Adjoining councils outside of Notts must be laughing their socks off.

As Ayup says, in the '60s what ever job you wanted to do when leaving school was there for the taking. Engineering has almost gone, manufacturing the same, Players moving production abroad, now Boots getting rid of hundreds.

A lot of large local companies are owned by foreigners, we are well & truly over a barrel.

I've expressed sympathy before in these annals for the next generation and I do it again. In the late 50s into the 60s you could almost guarantee yourself a job overnight if you took the trouble to look. Opportunities like that no longer exist and schools/colleges seem to channel pupils/students into 'soft' channels. We have a culture of celebrity and service industry today; God knows who is going to do the work in the future.

• Upvote 1

I was made redundant from my engineering/manufactory job seven years ago and was out of work for nearly eleven months. I tried my hardest to get back into that type of work but to no avail. I had to change direction and trained in mental health. I have now worked in a psychiatric hospital for nearly six years and feel I have found my vocation in life. Funny how life turns out....

• Upvote 7

Glad you found your vocation Gibbo,not all are lucky to find it,work is a big part of our lives and many people work at what they don't enjoy,which i think is sad.

• Upvote 1

I am absolutely certain that the Work Place Parking Levy was a major factor in the Boots decision.

Stupid, moronic, inept local government bollocks that has had precisely the opposite effect to what was intended.

I heard over a year ago that Boots' parent company was looking to get out of Nottingham completely and move all those operations to Asia. When I saw the headline this morning, I just thought it was the start.

There will be no major employers left in Nottingham. And anyway what else are you going to go into city centre for ?

To have a coffee ? A sandwich at Pret ?

The shops are too expensive, car parking is a £1 per 30 mins, the tram is expensive, Broadmarsh is a dump and Victoria centre is not much better. Nottingham used to be such an inviting place.

Sure, banish the car and build the tram. Then what ?

Maybe they could make some of the decaying parts into tourist attractions. Arkwright Street the disappearing community.

Alfreton Road - where the phone shops go to die. The Boots experience - with interactive displays showing how a great company was ground down. Ditto Players, Raleigh, Plessey.

Nottingham City Council has a lot to answer for.

• Upvote 6

Boots have been doing voluntary redundancy for ages! People with 20+years service bated with a 7 grand sum and get her pension when her 65!! My Dad worked for Boots for 51 years!!!!! One boots bloke attended his funeral,he did get five words in boots news mind.I hope they go to the wall I hated the way they put middle management problems onto a sodding bog cleaner!!

sorry to disagree about the kids we have had we have had six apprentices in six years three are out of time and qualified fitters and Mot testers the other three are doing well ,they are all good workers ,punctual and have a brilliant attitude .

• Upvote 2

The British public wanted cheap...they rushed to the supermarkets.The result...markets and high streets like ghost towns and a million jobs gone.The same public wanted cheap imports...the result,the demise of manufacturing industry in the UK. We brought it on ourselves.

• Upvote 1

Sorry pooh, I have to disagree, the public wanted fair & reasonable prices NOT rip off prices charged at small local shops, where the retailers had you by the short & curlies !

Bit of truth in both arguments,the small shopkeeper has to pay more for his stock,because the main big retailers screw so much out of manufactures who give in for volume.

• Upvote 2