To Like or Not To Like

To a point I also agree with what you are saying Firbeck, http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14172&page=0 is it really worth all the time and effort in uploading photographs when you may feel your efforts are not appreciated? And in your case you are also providing the history of the shot.

In my situation it’s the time involved getting a photograph onto this site. As to the slides, without a scanner I have to use my slide projector, photograph the slide, upload onto the computer, resize, upload onto the host site and then onto this site. Even a longer process with the 21/4” square negatives, I go to a mate, when he is available, 15 miles away who lets me scan a few on his machine. All this does take a lot of my time which I should employ elsewhere.

If it wasn’t for a few members who l feel are genuinely interested and enjoy my photographs I certainly wouldn’t bother because there would be no point. I also I accept a lot of my stuff I upload has no interest to anybody on this site but who knows months, years later somebody may show an interest.

I do often ask myself is it really worth it? And the answer in my case is yes it is. I don’t upload photographs to gain browning points or try to finish top of a league, as Fynger said on some thread recently this is not a competition. Although many of my photographs are boring and lack quality I believe most do bring back memories for people and that is all that matters and for that reason I will continue posting.

Through other member’s photographs and experiences this site has brought back many memories for me that otherwise I’m sure would have been lost forever and you can't tick the like box on every thing posted otherwise it becomes pointless. I don’t think a posting is not liked because it doesn’t receive a tick in the box or a positive comment but as you said it is always nice to be appreciated.

• Upvote 3

To add to what Robbie says

I agree that just because someone doesn’t tick “like” for something or comment on it, doesn’t mean they don’t like it or find it boring. There are a lot of things on here which I like or find interesting, but I don’t make a comment on them all.

If everybody specifically commented every time they liked something, the forum could become an unbearable gooey, love-fest with everyone telling everyone else how wonderful they are. You’d end up having to battle your way through the praise to find anything new to read.

Whenever I’ve posted a photo and it generates any comment, I assume that means a fair number of people have seen and noticed it. They might’ve thought “I remember that” or “That’s interesting”, but they won’t have left any comment on it. I don’t go away thinking everyone hates me and wishes I hadn’t posted it.

The reason most people look at this site is to be reminded of Nottingham in the past, so they will be looking at all the photos - and memories - for a blast of nostalgia. Different people will have different favourites, but I think that everything (almost) goes down well, even if there isn't always an outward sign of that.

• Upvote 9

Very sensible comment, Cliff Ton.

By the way, just from the other side, I did comment on Firbeck's Wilford Power station post and I respond to many of Robbie's fine pictures. I also see many members expressing appreciation for pictures such as these, on a regular basis. Don't feel unloved Firbeck and Robbie, please keep them coming.

thumbsup

• Upvote 4

Agree with above comments, but we have a Catch 22 situation here. If many people appreciated the pictures but never said so, the person posting them thinks he is wasting his time and effort.

I think most of us hit the "like" button for something that particularly grabs us personally. I don't regard it as the equivalent of the teachers "Excellent" or gold star - how condescending would that be? Neither should no likes, or no comments, be interpreted as thumbs down, or that expression by which teachers 'damned with faint praise' - "very fair." (Did that mean almost good, only a tad better than poor, or extremely mediocre? !)

I certainly enjoy all the pictures on here, after all what would be the point of visiting the site if you didn't like looking at stuff - keep em comin'

I personally love all of the Photo's that are put on Nottstalgia. For me it is mainly Robbies Nottingham Photo's of time past. Bcause they do take me back to the Nottingham that I love and left behind.

I have never been interested in Trains or Buses but when Firbeck puts his train photo's and stories on, and Stephen puts his Photo's and descriptions of bus routes on. They both have so much enthusiasm, that they make their stories so interesting, and I always read them and actually enjoy them. Please, Firbeck, Robbie, Stephen keep adding your interesting stories. You are all appreciated very much.

• Upvote 5

I love all photos put up,and I'm not just saying that.Pete..is it? Posted that picture a while ago and I got my magnifying glass out!! I have a lot of trouble with my hands..typing etc.. and know how time consuming it is to put them out on here and awkward.The Alberta picture was superb and give us the Memphis belle lowdown ( please) I find peoples knowledge and experiences fascinating!! More railway, national service and old stories please!! Ian.

You can also add me to the list of people who appreciate seeing the posts and photos of other Nottstalgians. The photos that Robbie, Cliff Ton and others put on Nottstalgia will be enjoyed by us and others in the future. Every one of us plays our part in making Nottstalgia what it is with our photos and posts on so many topics. When new people join Nottstalgia they quickly learn what a friendly place it is to spend their time. Last year I scanned every photo I had and downloaded them onto my computer. It's hard work and time consuming so I can appreciate the thoughts of Robbie. My thanks to you all. :)

• Upvote 3

I love the photos too. I know what you mean about not feeling appreciated. I've often spent lots of time researching family members for people, not just on here, but on other sites too, and sometimes it's difficult to get a thank you, although, on the other hand, some people are very grateful.

As you say though, it's still worth it!

• Upvote 5

Robbie, I have said it before and I will say it again....please do not stop posting your photographs.

I appreciate how much work it takes to put pictures on this Forum but the enjoyment that I and others get from your photographs is immeasurable, mate!

I reckon that you are going to go down in Nottingham history as a latter day Reg Baker so, stay with it.

Firbeck, your input is just as valuable and as Cliff Ton has stated, if we posted an appreciation every time you or Cliff Ton, Stephen Ford, Enigma and every other stalwart on this Forum posted a picture, we would be drowning in it.

Please, just accept that I and other Nottstalgians that I have discussed the various photographs with fully appreciate your efforts and look forward to your next offerings. It is the photographs that help make this Forum what it is today.

So, a very sincere thanks to you all for the enjoyment and, more importantly, the contribution to the next generations of Nottstalgians so that they too can enjoy the history that you provide. :congrats:

• Upvote 5

i am not a great one for pressing like button, i apologize for that, the members who put the effort into photo and story lines on this site are invaluable, perhaps some, like myself, have lost so much of nottingham from their past, and a lot of that past they did not know, quite a few of the photo's i have seen on site have jogged my memory and been very important to me. Please do not stop putting these treasures of our lost past, (buildings, vehicles, steam engines, people)on view, i do not personally know you but my thanks to you all is immeasurable, perhaps a bit over the top, but it is how i feel, again many many thanks for the site, the pictures but mainly the members, god bless all of you, THANK YOU.

• Upvote 2

Similarly I don't press the like button unless I REALLY like it. Fact is I like most of it whether I press the button or not. Similarly I don't care too much whether people like my posts or not. I am happy to know that you are reading them. I prefer a comment to a click of the like button. Now lets keep the pictures coming.

• Upvote 2

By far the most site traffic is not members, but site visitor who cannot use the like button.

Some may come looking for information about nottingham after googling terms.

And members may have photographs showing important detail not intended on the original photograph.

An example springs to mind as the image is etched into my memory, but where it is I cant remember?

It is a picture of a child sitting on the wall by the fountains on the market square.

Its not the child that is of general interest but the background, showing 1950s Nottingham, buses etc.

So you family shots may also contain important detail, scenes furnishings etc. from times gone by.

• Upvote 2

Reading (#1) again and again I realise the context of my post didn't come across as intended. I have never thought for a second my efforts were not appreciated, there have been many positive and encouraging comments received over the months and these are the people I know are interested in what I post.

I can't say either way if anybody else is interested but it doesn't matter. I only need one person to show an interest in my work to keep me posting, until the photographs have all been exhausted.

If you have a passion for photography then you will understand why Firbeck made his comment and I can understand why he felt the way he did. There is no question Firbeck's photography is brilliant, I still think of the one with his mates by the river and he has certainly an amazing memory.

I have many times asked my self is it really worth it but I assure you its nothing to do with questioning peoples support but all down to the free time I have available. I run my own business from home which at times can be quite demanding and time consuming, so it is difficult to get the work/life balance just right.

I said I have got an awful lot out of this site and it gives me immense pleasure to give something back. The photographs posted by Engima, CliffTon, Firbeck, Merthyr Imp and many others to me are brilliant but I haven't always ticked the like box.

I also said it would be pointeless if every post on this site received a like tick. In my opinion I don't see the need for a Like button, it reminds me of junior school when you tried to please the teacher to be rewarded with a gold star.

Thank you all for the above comments and hope you accept I never meant to question your appreciation and support. And Trevor regarding RB....I don't think so but thanks anyway, it made my day.

• Upvote 3

I agree with most of the above, I find this site very interesting and informative, and it is nice to get the odd like and comment now and then. On the other hand I have found it to be a little cliquey.

I don't expect to get any likes, but comments I might.

• Upvote 3

mick2me #18, absolutely right, i do this when watching movies, always have since Saturday Night & Sunday Morning. with the photo's i look for buildings no longer around, fashion, type of clothes worn in the period shown, bus route numbers, peoples faces do i know anyone. Photos on this site, (relating to Notts mainly), are brilliant & the people who take the effort and time to place them on, well THANK You all.

I DON'T FIND it cliquey Tompa, and i like 'likes' followed by a comment,..............there you got a like and a comment,...lol.

• Upvote 3

Neither do I find it clquey, Tompa. The interaction tends to be between those who post quite often. If that is "cliquey" so be it. "Likes" are nice to receive but I do not dwell on them, neither do I hand them out to every post even though I do not dislike what they say. A like for every post makes it meaningless.

• Upvote 3