I can remember when I could go out drinking all week for a fiver (a pint of Home or Shipstone's for about 10p -12p a pint) ;)

So I'm an oldie with a l.....o......n.....g memory ;)

It's great that there is so much interest in drinking real/craft beer now rather than the disgusting keg rubbish that the brewing indistry foist on us for years. I love the fact that I can drink a different beer every time I go to the bar. At Beer Dock a few weeks ago I had their last bottle of Alaskan Brewing Co Smoked Porter. One of the best drinks I've ever had, even at £13 a bottle. The next bottle was from Giltbrook.

Incidentally, does anyone remember Real Thing at the junction of Huntingdon St and Mansfield Rd? Talk about being ahead of your time, it would be doing a bomb if it was around today.

To be fair, it was something you drank like wine rather than beer as it had so much flavour. The bottle made 3 glasses so it wasn't more expensive than wine really. Amazing flavour though, like having a beer version of Laphraoig.

Incidentally, does anyone remember Real Thing at the junction of Huntingdon St and Mansfield Rd? Talk about being ahead of your time, it would be doing a bomb if it was around today.

Run by - among others - a guy called Phil Holmes. Talking about it only a few weeks ago and nobody could say when it closed. This building on the corner, now converted back to housing. https://goo.gl/maps/NGDrf

#3 If you can remember going out drinking all week then you weren't drinking the right stuff.

Living in Nottingham till 1967 & Loughborough there after(after a short period in London) my drinking was Home /Shipstones & Marstons.

Nothing wrong wirh any of those beers.;)

• Upvote 1

Three pints yesterday three pubs

Organ Grinder

Generious Britton

Swan in the Rushes

Three beers all from Nottingham

Sanctury(Blue Monkey)

Harvest Gold(Castle Rock)

Legend(Nottingham Brewery)

• Upvote 1

Craft beers seem to be the trend nowadays.

I am all for real ale but some of the CAMRA lot have managed to score a bit of an own goal in making it seem like a private club and my local lot do seem to be a bit precious about beer. I have had some disagreements with them. Some "real ale" places do not keep real ales in the finest of conditions, but those that do, do it superbly. My favourite in Nottingham is the Plough. Ahhh the Legend. I am usually driving so I can only have one pint, but I savour that pint as if it were fine champagne.

Craft beer appears to be decent beer kept by carbon dioxide pressure. Not in itself a bad thing but the co2 beer was dragged into the mire back in the days of Watneys. Remember please, that this was in the spirit of modernisation. At the time when the planners tore the heart out of cities and towns and replaced them with monstrosities. Craft beers are challenging the real ale brewers and in a good way - the challenge is that they can make a beer taste every bit as good as a real ale. They can too.

• Upvote 2