Concierto de Aranjuez is another repetitive warhorse that drives me up the nearest wall. I know virtually everyone except me thinks it's wonderful but all that twanging of strings gives me a headache! There should be a society for the prevention of cruelty to guitars,

Julian Bream playing the lute. Ah, yes. I'd listen to him all day!

Good old "Orange Juice" probably known to most from the movie "Brassed Off"

A great version of this classic without strings by the Grimethorpe Colliery Band and conducted in the movie by the late great Pete Postlethwaite.

• Upvote 1

Helloooo, Philistine here. Chulla #1  sorry but for me that's probably the most boring music I've heard in  a long time. The Mahler #7 is so depressing it's music to jump of a bridge by and the Proclaimers #24, irritating beyond endurance.

The Bolero I've liked since my Grandad played it on a windup gramophone before T&D were even thought of. The 'orange juice' clip I listened to all the way through and quite enjoyed it (not heard a brass band version before).

# 28. All we are seeing here, Brew is simply a difference in taste.  You find the Mahler depressing others find it deeply moving.  We are all composites of our life experiences with many different memories and associations.  I find much of modern music depressing in its superficiality others love it.  Just the way it is.  Good thing we are not all the same.  :)

Quite right Loppylugs and long may it remain so. I like my music (except jazz) in small doses. I usually lose interest halfway through a CD/LP even if I like the artist, by track 3 or 4 my mind is off chasing rainbows.

As I said I'm a bit of a Philistine when it comes to art 'n' culture but you know what they say: 'I may not know much about art but I know what I like' or 'Different strokes for different folks'

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Mrs C has today bought two tickets for the Halle Orchestra concert at the Royal Concert Hall next January where they will be playing Ravel's Bolero. Selfishly, when she got back home I realised that I didn't contact you to ask if you would have liked her to get you a ticket.

Come on, Jill, be honest you had your 17th/18th century hat on when you made that remark - all that mesmerising build-up for the final resolution would 'send' you if you heard it live. There's a lot more to music that Bach and his contemporaries.

• Upvote 1

Chulla, when it comes to Ravel and his Bolero, I'd dislike it intensely in any century! Cannot abide that piece of music. On more than one occasion, Ravel himself expressed the same sentiment! He wrote some very nice music of which I am very fond, for instance The Pavanne For A Dead Infanta, but Bolero you can keep!

I'm not fond of the Bolero either.  Only thing I would say is that it can sometimes be an introduction to the symphony orchestra that a lot of folks would not listen to with a more complicated piece of music.   If they once get a good introduction they might realize that music is a lot more than rock bands.

You know that I was pulling your leg, Jill. I have mentioned before that when I was about eight years old I crept under the window of the house across the road where they were playing Bolero. Loved it then and have done ever since. As my musical postings on this forum confirm, no-one on this forum has the depth of appreciation of the many styles of music, probably, as Loppy remarks, emanating from that early experience. But the music of your era of preference, whilst I do not dislike it, does nothing for me. There is no passion, no colour, no drama, no storytelling. Are there any chords in Bach's piano music - just sounds plinkety-plank to me? In short, great in its day but way past its sell-by date. slywink 

Talking about pieces of classical music that got people interested in that genre, as we were, This one must have captured quite a number.

• Upvote 2

I guess the beauty of musical periods lies in the eye and heart of the beholder like most other kinds of art.  Bach in particular grabs my attention because of its deep sense of spirituality.  As you may know Bach was a devout Christian.  The titles of so many of his works give that away.

Bach's 'Come sweet Death'. Is an incredible piece of music to me.  Many would say 'how mournful'. Has he got a death wish or something?  Well maybe he did but there is also a tremendous depth of joy and anticipation.  Since I have learned to play it I see the complex interactions and flows in it that bring me to tears of joy as I play it.  The Fantasia in C which I am currently working on and plan to upload my doubtful efforts to YT as soon as I can video an attempt without too many mistakes is a tremendous effort on Bach's part.  The intricate interplay between right and left hand and pedal is shear genius IMHO.

Whatever our taste music is a blessing.  :jumping:

• Upvote 1

Oh Chulla! Are there any chords in Bach's music?!:wacko:

It's only the most fascinating and complex notation ever committed to manuscript paper. Endlessly intriguing and a continual voyage of discovery. I'm sorry it doesn't say anything to you but it would be a dull old world if we were all the same.

I've loved Bach since I was a child. Never had any time for, nor interest in pop music or those who perform it. Why buy flat pack furniture when you could have Chippendale or Sheraton?

Each to their own, as they say.  ;)

• Upvote 2

Chulla, that piece od music used to introduce a programme on the telly. What was it?  Was it In Town Tonight?

Loppy. Totally agree with your last remark. Probably man's greatest achievement (depending how you look at it).

KJ. Here it is

• Upvote 2

Good one Chulla, following on from katyjay's comment I was trying to work out which one it was, tried all the old radio and TV themes including Panorama.  Woke up at 5:00 this morning and somehow managed to recall "This Week" I was going to put it on here but you beat me to it.

• Upvote 1