Nice photograph of Stratford Robbie: my Dad worked for Boots farm & gardens which became fbc..consequently I travelled with him for yonks to Hereford / Shrewsbury / Thetford /York..the above and loads of places. That's why I remember Hooleys so well. I remember they put the odd car in that empty church and also in the sandstone tunnel next to st.Marys convent. Not the "chlolera" tunnel that leads into the park.when passing Gestetner as a teen I used to recall picking up new cars in the 60s or 70's.regards..Ian.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carnaby Street in 1966 at the height of swinging London. We were on holiday at the time and my dad just took a few street scenes. All the people are pedestrians who just happened to be there. That

A few more from the same visit which included Carnaby Street and Heathrow. Trafalgar Square; no idea what the event was. Not much chance these days of getting an E-Type and a Cadillac in the same

100 plus pages of photos using search term "Nottingham" http://archive.historicengland.org.uk/results/Results.aspx?t=Quick&l=all&cr=nottingham&io=True&page=1

That would be about the same time as I went on a school trip to Stratford to see a Shakespeare play. Us lads got legless on Stella in one of the local pubs.

While we were queueing to get into the Royal Shakespeare theatre, a limo pulled up and a woman emerged, at which point my mate said in a loud voice "f***ing hell, it's Princess Margaret!".

She must have heard, because she looked at him and smiled. :)

A few more from the same visit which included Carnaby Street and Heathrow.

Trafalgar Square; no idea what the event was.

london1.jpg

Not much chance these days of getting an E-Type and a Cadillac in the same photo.

london2.jpg

london3_1.jpg

• Upvote 5

Great photos of Warwick, Robbie. Spent the first night of my honeymoon there in 1965. Didn't see much of it. Arrived in the dark and left the next morning for Devon. My mind was on other things than timbered buildings etc. wondered if you had a photo of the Woolpack hotel in Warwick. I never thought to take one and I understand it has now been converted into flats.

Thanks Michael. Looks familiar. We left Gedling around 4:30 p.m. Arrived in Warwick after dark. Parked in the car park at the back. Seemed to be nowhere we could get a bite to eat so went to bed early. LOL. Anyway, pleasant enough place. We probably should have spent a bit more time in Warwick though.

The Ritz in Lincoln, photographed in 1995.

Previously the Odeon, it was acquired by Barry Stead, manager of the Theatre Royal when it was refurbished, and as well as reverting the cinema to its original name he then went on to restore the exterior lighting it apparently had when first opened in the 1930s.

It later became a Wetherspoon's, and I assume it still is. I don't know if they retained this lighting.

Ritz20in20Lincoln201995_zpsaque1got.jpg

Great photographs Again Robbie,I wonder if you or your Father would have thought that 50 years later people like us would not be thinking about composition.. but scrutinising the backgrounds.. Thanks- Ian.

We used to frequently travel through Warwick and Stratford to get to my brother's at Malvern, but now just do the boring A14, M6, M42 and M5 to get there. I miss the zig zag journey we used to have from Cambridge cross country (although it did take 4 hours or so, and was a bit squashy in the car with 3 small children and a dog!) but I suppose most of the places we used to go through have bypasses now anyway?

Robbie, Nice pics again, they have both stirred up some pleasant memories for me. We took our children on the narrow gauge steam train at Welshpool on a day trip in the late 70s, (we are only a short car journey from parts of Wales) and also we see the bridge at York many times as we spend a few days there every year in the autumn.

Keep them coming Robbie.

• Upvote 1