• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carnaby Street in 1966 at the height of swinging London. We were on holiday at the time and my dad just took a few street scenes. All the people are pedestrians who just happened to be there. That

A few more from the same visit which included Carnaby Street and Heathrow. Trafalgar Square; no idea what the event was. Not much chance these days of getting an E-Type and a Cadillac in the same

100 plus pages of photos using search term "Nottingham" http://archive.historicengland.org.uk/results/Results.aspx?t=Quick&l=all&cr=nottingham&io=True&page=1

People marvel at the architecture of cathedrals, Victorian town halls, etc., but never give a second-glance at the architecture of some of the old cemeteries. As individual items they might not impress but to see acres of them, as at Kensal Green and Highgate, with ivy creeping over them, they vie with the world's best examples of romantic ruins.

• Upvote 3

I suspect that the relatives of the people buried there are already long gone themselves. Like Chulla says, I think that these old cemeteries are interesting places, but it's cremation for me please! I wouldn't want my kids/grandkids to feel any obligation to tend a gravestone. I've showed them where my ashes could be scattered (not that it really matters to me, but they may want to do something specific) Then they can just be free to remember me in whatever way they like.

• Upvote 1

I recently located my great grandparents grave at the Rock Cemetery near The Forest. There's also a commemorative plaque dedicated to my paternal grandfather who is buried at Gallipoli where he fell during WW1. I shall endeavour to keep it tidy, and will re visit at Remembrance Sunday.

• Upvote 3

Just one more.

My wife (seen here) and I visited Kensal Green a couple of times in the late 1990s to see the grave of the artist J. W. Waterhouse (maybe best known for The Lady of Shalott amongst other paintings often used these days on greetings cards). Once on a misty winter's day as seen in these photos, which was quite atmospheric, and once in bright sunshine.

Catherine20at20Kensal20Green20cemetery20

• Upvote 2

Waterhouse was a lovely artist. Went to an exhibition of his work at the Royal Academy, in 2009. This is the cover of the catalogue.

Waterhouse_zps4s1b3mqu.jpg

• Upvote 2

It's said of that picture - of the afore-mentioned Lady of Shalott - that all men fall in love with her and all women want to be her.

This is Waterhouses's grave - rather nondescript and neglected, although that was over 15 years ago, so it may have received some attention since then.

J.20W.20Waterhouse20grave20at20Kensal20G

• 1 month later...

I think we saw that teashop earlier this month when we were at the IOW. We'd just visited Shanklin Chine where there was a really interesting exhibition about PLUTO. Before we went in, I thought "It can't be something about Mickey Mouse's dog - it must be about the planet." When I realised it was about "Pipe Line Under The Ocean" in WW2 I thought it would be a bit boring as I'm not that interested in things like that, but it was REALLY good with lots of photos, diaries and a DVD showing how the fuel pipeline was laid between here and France. It's well worth a visit if you are ever over there. The Chine itself was interesting too but we went in the daytime, and I've heard it's better in the evening when it's lit up in various colours.