Did you ever have....

i asked the original question because Mrs Compo was surprised when I did it the other day.....and she comes from Bolton, where pigs feet were considered a delicacy in her youth!

I also love bread and dip and bread and pork dripping; two more things Mrs C doesn't like.

This talk of great food is making me peckish....I think I'll just pop downstairs and grab mesen a Weetabix with luvly thick butter spread on it :)

Ah yes chewing wood, Margie, I had forgotten about that. I went to school in Sneinton Dale and the little corner shop up the top of the dale, near the RIO cinema sold chewing wood.

• Upvote 1

Spanish root, actually saw some in an English lolly shop here a few months ago, but at $5 a stick I gave it a miss !

Did see a program not that long ago about the demise of Pontefract cakes, due to the availability of natural liquorice root now, can't remember where it comes from but suppose Spain.

I know it was grown in Yorkshire once probably to supply the Pontefract cakes trade maybe. Wouldn't surprise me either if it wasn;t grown in China too though I wouldn't chance eating it from there.

Bread & sugar - YES!

Still have rhubarb and sugar now and again. I have always enjoyed eating Bramley cooking apples RAW.

Tompa: There used to be a Watmough's sweet shop on upper Parliament Street. If I recall correctly it was on the same side as the Press offices of the Guardian Journal. Possibly opposite either King's or Trinity Walks.

Thanks Compo, yes your probably right, I have tried looking on Google Earth and Google maps, but Nottingham has changed so much I hardly recognise any of it. Haven't been to Nottingham for many a year.

Used to buy a stick of " Spanish Root " when I had a couple of pennies to spare. Last time I bought some was about 1977 at a sweet shop somewhere near the Theatre Royal. I think the shop was on Upper Parliament St, again I am not sure.

The one on the far right of this photo?

watmoughs.jpg

• Upvote 1

I never knew there was a Vicki shop there. The only one I knew was at the bottom of the jitty that ran down the side of the big Co op.

Thanks for photo Cliff Ton, yes I think that that might be the place, but can't be a 100% it's such a long time ago.

I think me and my foster parents called in there and bought boiled sweets after we had been to C&A, at the top of Parliament St to buy my first school uniform.

Tompa, # 35

I think it would have been the big Co-op on Parliament Street where you got your school uniform. C&A didn't stock uniform and they were down near Broad Marsh, below M& S and opposite Woolworths.

• Upvote 1

....... after we had been to C&A, at the top of Parliament St to buy my first school uniform.

Tompa, I think it would have been the big Co-op on Parliament Street where you got your school uniform. C&A didn't stock uniform and they were down near Broad Marsh, below M& S and opposite Woolworths.

I think Lizzie is right. This place.

coop-2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Chitterlings, tripe,colwick cheese made from sour milk,and yorkshire pud with raspberry vinegar on

Yes, I think your right, I think memory is slipping a tad, anyway it was the first time I got long trousers, chuffed to buggery I was. So off to school I went on the Monday morning, with a clean hankerchief in one pocket and a couple of marbles in the other ( no comments on that point please lol ) proud as Punch. I can't remember the name of the school, but it is now Samworth Academy on Bramhall Rd.

Nestles condensed milk sandwich used to love it in the 50s,..........roundabout 1960 when i worked in a shop (marsdens.lol.) Nestles was 1/8 or the cheaper version Fussells 1/-,............can't remember the price of owt from last week...........but still remember prices from the 60s,....odd init.

• Upvote 2

#45. Compo

The trouble is - with me at least - I use the word 'recently' about something only to discover later that it was 20 years or more ago!! But there again, I'm older than you I think....

Banana sandwiches was my favourite. Oxo cube in boiling water with bread broken up and soaked in for winter warmth.

• Upvote 2

#48 Banana anything for me, sandwiches, cake, pancakes just love bananas.

The best are in Thailand, after a night out, all the street vendors come out and make make banana pancakes with Nutella (choc hazelnut spread) cream on top, they are so good they have to be tried to be believed.

The Thai bananas are so sweet, but smaller than normal ones.