Yesterday I went in town early morning. Parked opposite the library and walked 50 yards to the Bank (pub not monetary bank) In the space of those 50 yards I encountered litter, streams of urine, vomit and the pavements a mess with chewing gum especially where the bus stops are. It was disgusting. Some can be blamed on drinking but the litter and gum. What's that all about. Is there no pride in the City anymore. Returned from Canda recently and the streets were immaculate.

• Upvote 2

Likewise, I've just returned from Italy and Switzerland.... Not one bit of litter was encountered. It's all in the upbringing..

Thick, illiterate, brain dead morons will perpetually breed further litters of morons, and so it goes on.

There's no pride in anything anymore.

Why on earth do folk frequent fast food outlets, put their rubbish in the little bag, then proceed to fling the said bag out of their car window. Stiff fines needed.

Community service ...................Litter picking & street sweeping.......................................on early mornings.

Loughborough is much the same I was out early this morning & the town centre was awful came back about an hour later & the cleaning people had done their usual good work.

It's hard to imagine what our streets would be like if these people were not there?

Maybe Fast Food outlets should have to make an extra charge for takeaways which could then be either given to the council for cleaning up the mess or returnable if the container is returned (like bottles used to be).

Why ? you could also put a charge on publicans for selling the drinks to make them behave like that, charge the bus companies for bringing them into town.

No, punish them in a way what will deter them. End of.

Don't give this Loony Labour Council anymore ideas to to raise even more money for their hair brained, money wasting PC ideas.

Vigilante justice... It's the only way !!!!

• Upvote 2

Several times recently I've seen people (using the term loosely) sitting in a parked car, eating. When they'd finished, they opened the car door, dropped all their litter in the gutter, and drove off.

Don't even bother waiting till they're on the move to throw it out of the window.

I had just cleaned and mowed the grass margins outside when out the corner of my eye I caught "burger boy" throwing his take away crap out of his car.. I chased after him and 4 miles in town..the lights were on red, tapped on his window- he wound it down- and in my best Bulwell accent gave him some Anglo Saxon expletives!! No burger boy this one..well dressed geezer with wife at the side of him! He sat there speechless-the ketchup was running onto his trousers..ihad thrown the rubbish onto his lap. Satisfied I stepped back, took his Reg and left.

Prevention is always better than cure, so educating the public and especially youngsters, to be litter-conscious is the key. Oops, what cobblers, they don't understand or care. It's true the punishment should fit the crime, so litter-droppers should be sentenced to community service litter-picking. Oops what cobblers, who is going to cop them in the first place, no Police, so the joke that is the PCSO? I don't think so. Any upright citizen going to draw their attention has got to be ready for aggravation. If there was aggro and the upright citizen came off best, THEN you'd see some action as the heavy squad turn up and arrest him. Litter-man goes off laughing.

Depressing thought, but it'll only get worse.

You can salute him and call him a hero but, doing what Ian did, we could be writing messages of condolence to his wife and family. That's the way of the World these days.

I've been to most areas around Europe and Scandinavia and you never see the litter problem like it is in the UK. The only way you'll stop it is with CCTV cameras and big fines. There was a lot of publicity a while ago regarding big fines for dropping cigarette ends in the street but it only seemed to last a short while. Like others have stated on here, the culprits are too thick to care. It's not only those who have a belly full of ale but families who do it as norm. Parents do it so their kids grow up doing it. In the thread regarding drunken people causing trouble, I stated that only big fines will stop it and it's the same with litter. When people read in their newspapers of people being fined £? for a first offence and hundreds of pounds for further offences then it would soon stop. You're always going to get some who'll do it, just like speeding motorists, but once they're caught they'll think twice about doing it again.

Prevention is better than the cure, but a smack on the head with a big stick is more fun.... LOL..... Yes, I'm joking again...... Snigger, snigger.

• Upvote 1

After seeing the Community Payback Team on Hucknall Rd recently, there'd be no difference.

However, the Council team do a damn good job.

In oz we have an app thing where, if we witness a litter drop of any kind, you take a picture and it gets sent to the nearest council, if the registration number is visible or the person can be identified they get a fine in the mail.

But as said it's a huge problem especially the chewing gum, which I noticed really spoiled the market square when I was there last September.

I've seen dumpers at the side of a bin still throw it on the floor ! and don't get me started on cigarette ends !

• Upvote 1