Analogue Camcorder

Or at least I assume you would call it analogue. It certainly ain't digital!

I have a Sony camcorder which must be over 20 years old and hasn't seen a great deal of use. I want to use it to play some tapes and convert them to digital unfortunately it has a problem. Partly due to not having been used for years perhaps, but I could hear something rattling inside and after a while shaking it with the tape door open a little pin with a nylon bearing on it dropped out. Does anyone here know anyone who repairs these? Preferably in Nottingham area, preferably someone who can do it without ripping me off! There use to be a Pentax shop on Mansfield Road but I think they have long gone.

Pianoman; I have a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV250E bought for a trial run in video, will never follow through though. When last looked at was in working order with h/book, battery, new tape, the battery charged up OK. This cam needed software downloading in its day but Sony have scrubbed it all. If the cam is any use to you you can have it, not even any resale value these days. I'm missing from Mon AM til Thurs PM though . at home tonight after 10

• Upvote 2

Problem these days are parts, after two years every company sells or bins all parts. These sort of "toys" have rubber belts in them, and they are getting exceedingly hard to locate for older recorders, players etc.

I think the camera you're on about has small magnetic tapes to record the data. After 20 years I'll bet the small drive belts are perished, could be why the nylon bush has fallen out..

I have got to know 3 or 4 people over the last few weeks that have got these and they are all saying that they no longer work because they haven't been used for years. Its all rubber bands and plastic.

Sadly, that's the way it goes, I've hunted the world for parts for electrical and electronic parts to repair things I own that are over ten years old. The internet is my friend, but sadly some parts are just not available anymore.

It pees me off that manufacturers just plan for two years, after that, you're on your own.

If you can find someone who repairs stuff on the side, he might just be able to find what's wrong, search for the parts and keep you running long enough to transfer recordings to another foremat.

If I were closer, I'd help you out.

• 2 years later...

Not sure, but I think there are devices that take the tapes directly and will convert to digital without needing to use the camera.  Try a Google search.  I have 2 Sony camcorders, but they take different sized tapes!  The problem is recording in real (analogue) time, which obviously takes forever in this digital world - then you have to edit.