• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many of you remember when these were a common sight flitting around Nottingham from the two railway stations?    

Don't worry folks, in a couple of years time there will be a revolutionary new transport system. You could call them, let's say, trolley buses, don't know why nobody thought of it before...

The tram driver didn’t have his hands on the steeering wheel.

Bilbroborn, DaveN has posted a link to Nottm. trams etc. Grandad Hill is on picture 37.

(ps. "drop pit shunt" ?)

• 2 years later...

How many of you remember when these were a common sight flitting around Nottingham from the two railway stations?

• Like 5

A lot of brewery's used them as well, very versatile vehicle and the forunner of todays artics

Rog

I often wondered why it was named after a dung beetle

Notice the 20 mph speed restriction plate on the rear of the vehicles. Even in those days this seemed a ridiculously low speed.

They were used a lot by British Rail to deliver goods round the town, Not a normal artic fifth wheel coupling either, much simpler.

20mph apeed limit around this part of Bulwell & no one takes a blind bit of notice of the reduced speed limit.

• Like 1

I can remember the grey coloured ones as well. They had an angular look as opposed the curved cab of the one in the pic. The trailer coupling was known as a 'Scammell coupling' and though simpler to connect involved a lot of moving parts. When you 'dropped' the trailer the legs were sprung loaded and lowered automatically. I found a pic but can't upload it.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest acquisition to my small fleet of 1/76 scale buses and coaches, AEC Regal Windover coach, Trent to Nottingham, reg number ACH 441

P1060314.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 18/11/2017 at 8:16 AM, Chulla said:

Great bit of film chulla.................not sure but reckon i rode in the last one going.........i was a Van-lad at Midland station......we had none there in 1960,but this one was at Victoria........and i had a short ride with i think Vic, big bloke bald head, from Victoria to Midland.......sure it was the last one.

Just looked at the photos of the tram accident. It doesn't as though it was a massive impact, light scraping on the tram and the drivers door on the van stoved in. So how did it derail a tram that weighs almost 40 tonnes?

Don't worry folks, in a couple of years time there will be a revolutionary new transport system. You could call them, let's say, trolley buses, don't know why nobody thought of it before...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1