If left to NET, it would be deemed 'Tactless'.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many of you remember when these were a common sight flitting around Nottingham from the two railway stations?    

Don't worry folks, in a couple of years time there will be a revolutionary new transport system. You could call them, let's say, trolley buses, don't know why nobody thought of it before...

The tram driver didn’t have his hands on the steeering wheel.

And they could smoke upstairs ! No, we hadn't better allow that ! Far too controversial !vampire2smokingkills

• Like 1

It's around somewhere, but it was sadly mislaid about 50 years ago. 

Hey Waddo, just noticed your abode. You'll soon be having steam trains running through the village en route to Loughborough and Leicester. Set up a tea and bun stall ! 

I can remember being called out to East Leake station once,we had a lorry down there full of bricks that needed loading onto a couple of railway trucks,the lorry had broken down and it needed fixing double quick as the loco was coming to pick the trucks up, just got it fixed in time and the bricks loaded as the loco was just passing Rushcliffe Halt, phew

Rog

Yes, we all loved the old tracklesses. Sadly, they have no role in today's city transport systems. They would be about the same size as the double-decker buses that hold a maximum of 90 passengers. The NET tram will take 191 passengers. I know they are only chock-a-block at busy periods, but they can cope. For a trackless to compare you would have to have twice as many of them. You cannot have an articulated trackless with two cars because they would never get round the city street corners. This can only be achieved with vehicles travelling on rails.

There are 131 cities in the world that operate trams. If there had been any benefit in operating tracklesses they would have been preferred.

• Like 2

Basford Crossing is a nightmare at most times of the day, due to trams crossing David Lane. The traffic often backs up to the old Heathfield Pub, and Nutall Rd in the other direction. The sequence of the lights could be improved for Arnold Rd traffic I'm sure.

No one, not even Einstein would convince me that an object on tracks in a city, busy or not, is more versatile than an independent type of transport

The tram posts seem to have wandered to the Christmas Tree thread. The question was asked 'Who would you name a tram after?'

If I had any say in the naming I would chose Ronald Ward Harker. Who's he? I hear you say. Known to everyone who knew him as Ronnie Harker, he was a test and liaison pilot at Rolls-Royce Hucknall. In 1942 he flew a Mustang aircraft powered by the American Allison engine. He found the aircraft to be superior to the Spitfire aerodynamically, but it needed the Rolls-Royce's two-stage supercharged Merlin engine to improve its performance. He set the ball rolling by getting R-R's boss, Hives, interested and Hives got permission from Sir Wilfrid Freeman to convert five aircraft at Hucknall to take the Merlin engine. The increase in speed was 70 mph and the Merlin-engined Mustang became the finest all-round fighter aircraft of the Second World War. At the time of this momentous decision Harker was living in The Park, in Newcastle Drive.  

• Like 3

I don't think that ode Ronnie should have that disservice put on him. I think that the council have chosen wisely, just think about it for one moment, you have ..the dodgem car's, the cake walk, the caterpillar, even the boxing booth (mostly at weekends). So really Nottingham has the Fair all year round. Or am I just a cynic?.

5 hours ago, Chulla said:

You cannot have an articulated trackless with two cars because they would never get round the city street corners. This can only be achieved with vehicles travelling on rails.

I think a modern trolley bus in 2/3 car configurations are more than capable, even if they needed roads changed to suit they would still be far cheaper than installing a rail system.

http://www.tbus.org.uk/news2016.htm

• Like 1

I know people who use the trams on various lines and they all speak well of them. They don't come down our way or we'd certainly use them, as we often use trams when we're abroad. As Chulla points out, 131 cities see them as the best option, they can't all be daft. So they have running problems, the old buses certainly did too.

As regards naming a tram after Ronnie Harker, not that I'd heard of him, why should that be thought of as insulting.

• Like 2

In days of old I remember Canning Circus being snarled up regularly when the spring loaded poles on the trolley busses became detached from the overhead wires. This when there was very little traffic compared to today, no doubt it happened in other parts of the City but we were young then and it wasn't a problem to us, in fact it added a bit of spice to the journey. 

1 hour ago, TBI said:

I know people who use the trams on various lines and they all speak well of them. They don't come down our way or we'd certainly use them, as we often use trams when we're abroad. As Chulla points out, 131 cities see them as the best option, they can't all be daft. So they have running problems, the old buses certainly did too.

As regards naming a tram after Ronnie Harker, not that I'd heard of him, why should that be thought of as insulting.

As you say 131 cities operate trams, how many thousands don't ?  I could think of better memorials to people than putting their name on a tram, big deal. Not.

1 hour ago, davep5491 said:

In days of old I remember Canning Circus being snarled up regularly when the spring loaded poles on the trolley busses became detached from the overhead wires. This when there was very little traffic compared to today, no doubt it happened in other parts of the City but we were young then and it wasn't a problem to us, in fact it added a bit of spice to the journey. 

Looks a bit spaghetti ish in the background.

35 minutes ago, catfan said:

As you say 131 cities operate trams, how many thousands don't ?  I could think of better memorials to people than putting their name on a tram, big deal. Not.

These 131 tend to be the biggest cities.

Those who have been recognised, for some of them, a big deal, no doubt.

http://www.thetram.net/tram-names.aspx