• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I strongly suggest anyone thinking of 'Adopting'' a Kitten don;t.....   Have two instead.........Babs and Syd are giving us so much pleasure in these 'Lockdown' times..........they playfight

#11 Just for you Fly.

I love cats....we lost ours through mouth cancer last March, it was devastating, we had her for years, I will never own another, to heartbreaking when they pass away................I am feeding a very

Tabby-cat's from Bradford, wonder if he meow's in a Yorkshire accent? He's probably saying "eeh by gum when I were a kitten it were uphill all t'way there & uphill all t'way back, tha dusn't know thee born ere in Notts!"

• Like 2

I have a cat who has started sitting on my back fence watching the birds since I put my bird feeder up. Didn’t notice him/her first time and let my boys out who chased it off, didn’t think it would be back but still is occasionally after first scoping the garden for dogs. I always check to see if it is there before I let them out now, don’t like it hunting the birds but wouldn’t want either the cat or my boys to get hurt. I have a water pistol that I got when we had our last cat. When he was getting on there was a younger cat that used to come into our garden and attack him. After a vet visit to have his wounds treated the vet said to get a water pistol, keep it in the fridge and when the rogue cat appeared zap it with it. I did get it once or twice, the last time I chased it down the service road at the back of our houses in my pjs and dressing gown and got Quite a few times, it never came back. So am thinking of doing the same again, no harm to the cat just a loss of dignity.

• Upvote 1

Stav Girl, our little fella is an absolute nightmare when he sees a cat in the garden.  He runs around yapping, jumping up our legs and going barmy and will NOT shut up until we let him out into the garden.   This was taken a few years ago as he was monitoring the garage roof but nothing’s changed, he was there again just now.   Silly boy has no chance of catching a cat because he makes too much noise as soon as he’s outside, the cats scarper, til the next time.  

64-BBA4-ED-377-C-4-C26-81-D7-6-F164-DEDE

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Tabby-cat was sat on the footpath minding his own business, our Pix clocks him & attacks him & all hell breaks loose, there's howling, hissing & spitting. Our Pix is always the one that starts the trouble & I think "why us?" Shadow-cat (from next door) sat on the fence watching, he's got more sense than our Pix & doesn't get involved. I'm sometimes ashamed of my cats bad behavour, he's a flipping delinquent...

• Like 3
9 hours ago, colly0410 said:

he's a flipping delinquent...

Did he come from the Meadows Colly?  slywink

Rog

• Like 1

I really am getting distressed about our cats. Two sparrows in two days. I feel like a bird killer. We used to have a garden full of birds and loved watching them. Now the only birds I see here are dead ones. It is not an issue for discussion with Mrs PP - cats come first :(

• Like 3

You could have the bodies cleaned up and stuffed then hang them in the trees, instant bird fest PP  slywink

Rog

I got a sonic cat scarer in my garden to stop the little darlings crapping in my veg plot, it only covers the veg plot so the cats can roam anywhere lese in the garden, best fifteen quid I ever spent

4 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

I really am getting distressed about our cats. Two sparrows in two days. I feel like a bird killer. We used to have a garden full of birds and loved watching them. Now the only birds I see here are dead ones. It is not an issue for discussion with Mrs PP - cats come first :(

And so they should !

3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Rog

I got a sonic cat scarer in my garden to stop the little darlings crapping in my veg plot, it only covers the veg plot so the cats can roam anywhere lese in the garden, best fifteen quid I ever spent

Free fertilizer & you complain ?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

I'm afraid I don't share Mrs PPs view.  There was some discussion recently about making it a requirement that anyone running down a cat on the roads should be legally required to take all reasonable measures to find the cat and ensure it is cared for, or at least the owner informed.

Now, I wouldn't deliberately harm any cat, dog or anything else other than recognised vermin, but I'll consider the above idea when cat owners take responsibility for the millions of birds killed annually by cats, and the damage and filth their cats cause on other people's proprerty.  Dog owners and no doubt the owners of all 'pets' with the exception of cats, are censured for allowing them to roam free and cause damage.  It seems cat owners are required to take no such responsibility.

I see no reason why I should go to any expense whatever to prevent my neighbour's cats spoiling my garden.  The cat owner should take responsibility.

I've had a discussion about the 'downsides' of both cat and dog ownership in the past and have only commented above due to the proposed new law on cats.  I'm not getting into further discussion on this topic.

• Like 2

The sonic cat scarer doesn't harm the cats in any way,it's just gives off a sound they don't like so stay clear of it's range,much better than the water pistol thats been mentioned or worse

Rog

• Like 1

fifteen quid,no animals harmed and no shit in your garden,small price to pay

Rog

• Like 1

Easy to say, Col, but outdoor cats are free spirits and will roam wherever they please however much you tell them to stay in their own garden!  The only way to keep cats out of your garden is to make them scared to go in there (perhaps a hand held water spray whenever you see them on your property) or, as Rog says, a sonic-type cat scarer?    Perhaps they will then eventually learn to avoid certain gardens?

I tell my neighbours to squirt our two cats with water and loudly shoo them away if they don't want them in their garden.  Luckily, they don't mind our cats visiting!

• Like 1

Thats fine Margie if you sit looking at the garden all day and night,this little scarer is in the corner of my veg plot 24/7, I too like cats but not sure about shooting them with a water pistol, you can set this little scarer to scare off cats,dogs,foxes,squirrels,rodents even insects with the different settings on it, I only have mine set for cats,It's called Pest XT if anyone interested £14.99

Rog

• Like 1

Rog, I don't mean 'shoot' the cats with a water pistol!!   I meant a plant sprayer which produces a spray, not a jet of water.... 

Your scarer sounds a good idea but will some frequencies damage the hearing of birds?