No damage to birds Margie, I get pheasants,blackbirds,thrushes on the garden it doesn't affect them,in fact the pheasants make a bit of a hollow in the soil and lay there in the sun

Rog

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I strongly suggest anyone thinking of 'Adopting'' a Kitten don;t.....   Have two instead.........Babs and Syd are giving us so much pleasure in these 'Lockdown' times..........they playfight

#11 Just for you Fly.

I love cats....we lost ours through mouth cancer last March, it was devastating, we had her for years, I will never own another, to heartbreaking when they pass away................I am feeding a very

What do you do when you have a neighbour who already has 3-4 cats in the house which you never see and at last count 7 strays for who she buys tinned food then grumbles how much she's spending? They have recently been rounded up and sterilized to which we had to contribut. They are a nuisance and we have asked the neighbors to do something about them. Our dogs shoot out of the house and go straight to the fence, stand there barking or staring at the cats. Of course the cats couldn't give a damn and stare back. We have now put a screen all the length of the fence but the dogs poke their noses underneath and watch the cats and will not come in when called.

They are lovely cats all from the same male but they get everywhere and I can see sooner or later we'll find a dead one in the pool. They already walk over the cover and have used it as a loo. The furniture has muddy foot prints all over them and I darent leave a cushion on a chair they've probably got fleas as last year I saw bloody specks on the cushions from the fleas. Our dogs are protected but doubt very much the cats are.

Dont want to think about cat scarer as it will probably drive the dogs insane.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

he uses it to deter pigeons.

I find a 5.52mm lead round deters them quite well Phil

Rog

Best thing to do with some of them !

Re. Nonna's neighbours, I repeat a good candidate for a 12bore.

• Like 1

OK. I'll try again.

Cats are basically selfish animals.  Their only interest in humans is for the food and shelter provided.  In return for this they are willing to sit about looking pretty so long as they are in the mood.  If they aren't they'll soon let you know.   If you are lucky they will let you think they are showing affection, but what they are really doing is using you for warmth.

There is a reason why we do not have Guide Cats, Rescue Cats, Police Cats, etc.  Because cats couldn't give a toss about us and have no emotional connection with us.  Only with the food and shelter.

Now, I'm not blaming Cats for being the way they are.  They are basically wild animals that know a good thing when they see it and will accept the freebies, but on their terms.  It's a one way deal. It's no different to the way that Pigeons (formerly 'Rock Doves') assorted Gulls and other species, including Cockroaches and Fleas, have spotted an opportunity in our company.  And of course we've made this more likely by depleting or destroying their natural habitat.

So.  We set out knowing full well that Cats are 'taking us for a ride'. Well that would be ok, and our choice, if it only affected us.  But we also know that our cats, unless strictly 'house cats', are going to spend much of their time wandering about being a bloody nuisance to the neighbours, digging up flower beds, leaving excrement that is definitely not 'fertiliser',  killing garden birds and constantly risking causing a fatal accident to human drivers by darting into the road.

In other words, it's not just the cats that are being selfish.

If I was to go into the wilds of Madagascar or somesuch and discover a previously unknown animal which behaved exactly like a cat, but looked like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI-SxwA4mm1T8e2wZ3DeF

..how long do you think it would be before letting it roam was banned?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

They are basically wild animals that know a good thing when they see it and will accept the freebies,

Sounds a lot like the human species as well,we all like freebies,other people for warmth and comfort,and for the most part go to anyone/anywhere for food

Rog

• Like 1

Yebbut.. we don't usually do that 'for a living', and we don't usually dig up our host's flower beds, c**p on them and kill their garden birds.  If we did, we'd soon be getting more than a splash from a water pistol! :aggressive:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Yebbut.. we don't usually do that 'for a living', and we don't usually dig up our host's flower beds, c**p on them and kill their garden birds.  If we did, we'd soon be getting more than a splash from a water pistol! :aggressive:

I would reserve that for some human vermin. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well next doors have gone to Brisbane to visit her parents & we're feeding their cat Shadow, he's been round ours all day, he doesn't seem to like being on his own. We're going on a line dance hols week in Harrogate next week & his Dad is coming to stay in their house to look after Shadow & our Pix till we come back. They're looking into emigrating to Oz & we'll end up with Shadow if they do, we'll be a two cat family then, lol...

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

Sad day today as Shadow-cat from next door has died. I know he wasn't our cat but we loved him like he was. Going to miss him as he was always round our house to see if there was any spare food going, he'd steal our cat Pix's food any chance he got. He was curled up on a chair under our canopy yesterday but he didn't look well, they took him to the vets today & he had to be put to sleep. They've sent round all his food, toys, food bowls & flea treatment for out Pix, feels very poignant...

Well our cats are neither use or ornament. They keep bringing live mice in to play with and some of them escape.

One was running about in the conservatory yesterday when the cats were snoozing. This morning there were rugs, cushions and shoes all over the place and they still hadn't caught it. I'm getting to like that mouse. May start feeding it :biggrin:

Among their catch last week there was a half grown rabbit and a full grown magpie - which surprised me.

Collecting the young hens in a day or so - that will be fun. Think the cats will be OK with them but Patch, the Jack Russel may have other ideas.

• Upvote 1

PP  I hate it when our cats kill mice and birds but I sadly know it's in their nature to do so.  I hope your new chickens will settle in well and that that Patch won't scare them by barking too much or trying to dig underneath to get at them!

• Like 1

Under the Cats' Charter, you can't object to your cats having toys, sleeping all day, using your Chippendale dining table as a scratching post, chucking up furballs in your slippers....or anything else they want to do!  Cats Rule OK. Well they do round here.

Things have been going bump in the night at my house. The reason? He's called Charlie and he's Bruno's brother.  I have brought him to stay with me for a while as he's reacting quite badly to the passing of his mum, my friend at cat rescue, and isn't eating. In addition, he was being bullied by some of the other cats.

So, to rival philmayfield, I'm now a 4 cat family again.

As regards Jack Russell dogs, I'm wary of them.  A farmer friend adopted a rescue Russell a few years ago. It turned out to be a killer. It had the unerring ability to escape from anywhere and was responsible for killing a neighbour's poultry and another neighbour's rabbits.  In the end, it was rehomed somewhere near Leeds. Although the new owners were extremely careful, within 2 days, the dog had escaped and was off on another killing spree.  So, just keep your eye on your Jack Russell, PP.  I've only been bitten twice by a dog and each time it was a Jack Russell.

• Like 1

We were a two-cat family but both died years ago. The oldest, Misty, was a real scaredy cat, absolutely loathed the trip to the cattery when we went on holiday and refused to talk to us when we came back. One year I’d unpacked a holdall and left it on the bedroom floor. Returning half an hour later I was greeted by an awful smell and a pile of cat shit in the holdall! As a statement it seemed hard to better!