• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I strongly suggest anyone thinking of 'Adopting'' a Kitten don;t.....   Have two instead.........Babs and Syd are giving us so much pleasure in these 'Lockdown' times..........they playfight

#11 Just for you Fly.

I love cats....we lost ours through mouth cancer last March, it was devastating, we had her for years, I will never own another, to heartbreaking when they pass away................I am feeding a very

Mr. Mayfield, I allus thought the definition of a gentleman is, " Someone who gets out of the bath for a wee".      Or.....

"Someone who washes his hands before a wee".

Bit like Babs and Syd's beginnings........they were found with their mother and i think 4 other kittens under a shed at an empty house in Hartlepool.....my daughters friend had moved in and rescued them all..........

• Like 1

We get 5 visiting cats through our back garden all at set times in the morning and afternoon. One day last week one of them (Patch) must have been sent the wrong rota, because he was here at the same time as Sylvester (My names). They had a stand-off argument, noses an inch apart, yowling and growling at each other until Sylvester backed off and went for a sulk behind the rockery. Patch followed a few seconds later and Sylvester came out of the rockery proud, head high feigning victory but Patch leapt on him from  behind. For the next half minute they were rolling round our lawn locked together and yelling and carrying on. Suddenly it stopped and they quietly and majestically went their separate ways leaving a few small clumps of fur on the grass. I don't know how they assessed it but I gave it as a draw.

• Like 3

It's surprising how many kitties wander through the garden at dusk. Since I've been on hedgehog watch, I've met several. Princess and Smudge have name tags and are regulars but last night there was a lovely Smokey grey moggie I've never previously seen! A tad shy but if I see it again I'll try to make friends.

Two nights ago, Smudge shot up the massive elder tree in the dark. Couldn't even see him! I was worried in case he got stuck but he came down eventually!

• Like 2

Jill, many years ago a friend had her cat stuck up a large pine tree, and had been there a couple of days. My friend asked the man who worked for the electric company to bring his 'cherry picker' vehicle out and rescue her cat. The man asked my friend, when is the last time you saw a cat's skeleton in a tree? She said never.  Right, he said, the cat will come down when it's hungry, put cat food out. She did and it came down!

• Like 3

I've seen cats we've had walk up ladders, and funny enough, come back down backwards. I've watched cats run up trees, they jump from branch to branch them when ready, climb back down in reverse.

One thing that makes me nervous with the cats is the power pole, although I have never seen any of the cats we have had try to climb those. Our transformer is at 40ft with 7400 volts supplying it and a nice flat top for a cat to sit, right next to the high voltage connections.

We have flying squirrels around here, well they do fly when they get strapped across an insulator to earth...LOL Common occurrence around rural areas.

Because our 2 cats are getting a bit old, we’ve propped an old wooden ladder up against the wall in our garden so they can use that to commute along the top of the wall to go on their daily visits to other gardens ....  they can get on the wall via some trees but the ladder is easier for them 

• Like 2

My hedgehog turned up early last night at 21.40. Shortly afterwards, there was a jingling sound and Smudge appeared. He's a regular visitor now. We watch Horace having his supper and then play for a while. I picked Smudge up and cuddled him. He's like a little butterball. Needs to go on a diet! When I went back into the house, my cats gave me the cold shoulder. How dare I cuddle a foreign cat? :wacko:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

We’re overrun with cats in our local neighbourhood recently.  All the neighbours seem to have at least two and since Jack went to Jesus they think they can come into our garden without fear of being chased out.    
We were away for a couple of weeks recently and we lost 2 Koi Carps from our pond, one had been mauled, I’m not accusing a cat but it’s certainly possible because I’ve seen a few taking a lot of interest, and in the past dry weather we’ve left the cover off the garden furniture over night and the cushions are covered in cat hairs.   I don’t dislike cats but wish they’d stick to their own gardens.  

• Like 1