• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I strongly suggest anyone thinking of 'Adopting'' a Kitten don;t.....   Have two instead.........Babs and Syd are giving us so much pleasure in these 'Lockdown' times..........they playfight

#11 Just for you Fly.

I love cats....we lost ours through mouth cancer last March, it was devastating, we had her for years, I will never own another, to heartbreaking when they pass away................I am feeding a very

Lizzie Sometimes I forget to take cushions in and in the mornings they are always covered in cat hairs. The other night i left my towels on the sun loungers so of course the cats find the best beds.We've also had a lot of swallows resting on the telephone wires and electric cables right at the top of the house and the droppings we see in the mornings is... well you can imagine. One morning there was more than usual and I was annoyed because I have been cleaning it every morning.  As it turned out it had been a pigeon but it stayed only one night thank goodness.

• 3 weeks later...

Our cat Pix has got two cyst's: one on his back & t'other on his head, vet doesn't want to do an operation to remove them because of his age, so she's showed us how to drain them. My wife Sue holds him steady, I then sterilize a needle in the gas flame, wait for it to cool, then prick the cyst while holding tissue's to catch the gunge, sometimes the gunge will spurt out & you have to be quick to catch it, we then wipe him down with baby wipes.  Doesn't seem to hurt him as he's sat there calm & purring, we always give him a treat afterwards....

He woke us up last night as he was having a fall out with Tabby Cat from across the footpath, the flipping pest, still love him though...  

• Like 1

Our cat, Humphrey, had a recurring cyst. They have roots, apparently, and will continue to refill unless the roots are removed. That involves a general anaesthetic. Humphrey often punctured the sac himself and the only clue would be a wet patch on his fur where he licked it clean.

• Like 1

Your vet seems really good Colly, and so are you for draining the cysts so efficiently!  How often do you have to do it?

• Like 1

MargieH.. About once a week, we can tell when they need doing as they feel a bit hard to the touch. He sometimes bursts the one on his back when he goes in the field out the back & he catches it on a bramble or something. We buy those cheapo baby wipes from Aldi to wipe the gunge off his fur...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's very frequently, Colly. Humphrey tended to take a few months before his refilled. It's a good thing you're geared up to do the job and he must be very trusting of you, bless him.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Thursday morning Pix came in a bit upset = part of his tail was black (he's ginger & white) & he squealed when we touched it. Took him to the vets & it's a burn, vet shaved the fur off & you could see it was a burn, he gave us some pain meds for him. We think his tail must have rubbed up against a hot exhaust or catalytic converter from a recently parked car. He'd been a bit quite but seems to be getting better as he's been playing with his raggety toy mouse that he loves... 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Just thought i would give you an update on Babs..........as i mentioned before we sadly lost Syd.................well from being that nervous little Kitten abandoned in a shed in 'Geordie land'' over two years ago.....she has become a beautiful large long Haired happy Cat............after we lost Syd we were worried about Babs if she left the Garden......no need she goes next door and we reckon thats the limit of her travels......and the lady next door loves her same as us......

She is the most loving and laid back Cat you can imagine........and she has a set routine......sleeps on and off most of the day but loves going out at night.(if its not too cold or Rainy).....she has her friends round on her garden at night and often brings her favourite Boyfriend in the house for breakfast in a morning  .....happy ''Puss'' that she is..........''purrr''

• Like 5

Just got up and Babs was sat on a garden chair on the Patio with her Black boyfriend beside her.......

Both saw me thru the kitchen window...and i beckoned to them...at that they ran to the back door......they were very talkative until i fed em with a pouch each of expensive whiskas''........after which they bid each other ''ta ra see ya later......good job i understand ''Cat talk''.........:)

• Like 3

He'll be moving in, her black Friend.  I have a lovely black cat who visits me. He has the most beautiful green eyes and spectacular whiskers. He's a big lad and it's a struggle to pick all of him up for a cuddle but he loves it!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

He'll be moving in, her black Friend.  

Think youre right JILL..........he is a lovely young big cat...reckon about a year old............when he comes in to eat you can see he's slightly nervous.......think he as a home but Donna says shes taking him to the Vet to see if he's chipped.....Babs is so relaxed with him...we thought she would be feeling pushed out if we fussed him too much.....but NO she's quite happy........i can see some expenses coming if we adopt him......Neutering etc.....but he is lovely.......if we do all that..we'll have to give him a name...thinking 'SAMBO'' what you reckon?

we have just taken in an old chap, Tom (Tildrum). His owner had dementia and is now RIP. She fed him on demand and he weighs in at 9.5 kgs.  Now on a diet!

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

name...thinking 'SAMBO'' what you reckon?

That's the sort of name the vet will shout very quietly round the waiting room!  I sat in the waiting room some years ago when a vet came out and whispered, "Blackie!", looking expectantly round the room. No one took any notice, so she whispered a bit louder, "Er....Blackie?". No reaction, so I piped up, "Is Blackie the cat here?". He was...and his owner was deaf!

• Like 1

Ben, your cat is a dead ringer for one we had many years ago, who lived for 18 years. We called him 'Pip'.

The photo is not Babs Boyfriend (sorry for giving that impression) however the picture is a dead ringer for him...........

• 4 months later...

Think Babs black boyfriend as moved on to new Pastures..........not seen him for a few weeks now..........reckon she got fed up with his ''Wooing''.......

She's very stuck up and has several other 'Suitors'....but she just sits there preening herself.......

This morning she was watching a young Squirrel hopping along the garden fence which didnt bother her.....when a black and white cat shot across the garden and chased the Squirrel straight up next doors very tall fern tree..........this  didn't please 'Babs' at all...........she's not normally a fighter...but when the black and white cat returned to our garden......'Babs' was straight on it..........don't think it'll do it again......:)

• Upvote 1

Speaking of cats. I have taken in a very young female stray who has been lurking in my garden since January. Not chipped and not spayed. Of course, she's pregnant. I feel so sorry for her. She's only a kitten herself.  Anyway, that's where we are. I estimate birth will probably occur next week so have set up maternity facilities in the dining room.  I'm hoping there won't be many offspring as she's so young. After they're weaned, madam will be off to the vet to be spayed. She's not going through this again.

• Like 2

We took on 2 cats 16 ish years ago.  A mother and her son.  The previous owner said the mother was only 7 months old when she had her 3 kittens (our son took on the other 2 kittens).   The mother seems quite fit and healthy as are her grown up kittens.  She is still the boss of her son and pushes him away if his food looks better than hers!  She is quite small compared with all her offspring - perhaps she stopped growing after giving birth?