Paul Richardson and Liam O'Kane. Two of my all time Forest favourites.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tidying up a cupboard, I've sorted through my old football programmes, and I thought I'd start to put a few images on here relating to the various Nottinghamshire clubs. Starting with my first ever

IMHO the problem with gambling is that it's just as addictive and damaging as smoking and alcohol. Smoking is thankfully in decline and as a result the government is receiving much less duty from toba

Crying me eyes out @ Wembley on Sunday, crying me eyes out in Market Square Monday, still crying watching clips @ the final whistle & the celebrations, can’t help it, think I’ve gone soft?

My first ever visit to Field Mill came with this game in August 1972. A lot of clubs in those days didn't bother producing a full programme for a First Round League Cup tie, so there was just this 4-page effort.

The Stags won 3-1 in front of a reasonable attendance of 4,642. Ex-Forest players Frank Wignall and Jimmy McCaffrey were both in their side.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsrlqohk9u.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

April 1973, and Forest were now in the Second Division (as now). I went along to see them lose 1-3 to Middlesbrough. With both teams in mid-table and close to the end of the season the attendance was only 9,258 which is possibly the lowest ever I saw for a Forest match.

Manager at the time was Dave Mackay. Scorer was Duncan McKenzie with only his 5th goal of the season in 24 appearances. Leading scorer at the time was John Galley with 8 from 21 games.

The Middlesbrough side included Nobby Stiles and ex-Mansfield centre half Stuart Boam.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsz5ewyz66.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpswehc5cjt.jpg

• Upvote 1

The first ever day of Sunday football attracted me to the City Ground on 6th January 1974. Due to the energy crisis resulting from trouble in the Middle East (this pre-dated the miners' strike that started the following month) there were restrictions on the use of electricity. Firstly, floodlights could not be used, with the example of this game kicking off at 2pm. It was then considered that staging games on Sundays instead of Saturdays would ensure a more guaranteed supply of electricity for the general running of the ground.

League games followed a couple of weeks later, but on 6th January four FA Cup ties became the first games involving Football League clubs to be played on a Sunday. As with other things in football Forest were one of the pioneers.

A complication was that at that time it was illegal to charge admission to matches on a Sunday. The way around that was to restrict it to admission on production of a team sheet - and they cost the normal admission price. In practice, that meant you just paid at the turnstile in the normal way and were given a team sheet as you went in.

The team sheet was just a slip of paper as seen here:

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpspgy3iuad.jpg

For the record, Forest beat their Third Division visitors 4-3 with two of the goals coming from Neil Martin. Changes from the team sheet were Bob Chapman in place of Paul Richardson and Miah Dennehy as sub instead of Tommy Jackson. Manager at the time was Allan Brown.

The attendance was over 23,000, which was more or less double the usual for that season to date, so the novelty value must have been a factor.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsh7vzcons.jpg

• Upvote 2

Sunday football at Meadow Lane now, with a kick-off time of 2.15pm and an attendance of over 14,000 to see mid-table Notts lose 1-3 to bottom of the table Crystal Palace in the Second Division.

Scan10001_zpsaya7b7nb.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsz4jjwscg.jpg

The Carvery was still being advertised, but the price of a good dinner had now gone up to £2.00. Meanwhile, Just Pants Plus were about to open in the Broadmarsh Centre:

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpskv1fkirj.jpg

I don't remember seeing you.

I

WAS THERE TOO,................and i don't remember seeing FLY either.

#35 Paul Hammond the Palace keeper played for BRSA Bulwell a few times.

My old man was a County supporter,so only saw Forest twice,and the 2nd time was for free(best seats in the house!). On 1st occasion I attended with a mad keen Manchester United fan in about 1958/59 ...all the way from a nuclear bomb site near Scampton. The second was when a Forest player surname began with an H I think damaged his hand which I fixed up ,so he gave me 2 tickets to see him play (oh wow !!)a t least my girlfriend was impressed.(1969)

Never understood why County did not do better. Had a mate named Bates in the 60`s anyone know what happened to him?

Terry Hennessey (/) I think after a bit of research. He lives( ?still alive?) near my daughter in Melbourne. (Aus) The other guy was Brian Bates. when we were students we worked building the new road near Wollaton Vale lifting huge kerb stones off the truck and into place. Want to see my hernias?

After a great weekend in sunny Cornwall, I find that all three local teams won on Saturday.

The Reds had a great win at QPR. (Loftus Rd is surely one of the worst grounds ever)

Mansfield had a resounding victory, and Notts won too. Well done ...... Bloody sheep won too, that's taken the shine off us a bit.

Doug Freedman says, 'if we play like that every week we'll be up there challenging'..................that after we lost 1-2 to Middlesboro ?......Hello'

I'd much rather us play badly and win !

On 4th January 1975 Second Division Forest drew a big crowd of over 23,000 for the visit of Spurs in the FA Cup 3rd Round. Score was 1-1, with David Jones scoring for Forest and Martin Chivers for the visitors.

This game came two days after the sacking of manager Allan Brown following a 2-0 home defeat to Notts County.

Interestingly, the photo on the programme cover shows a presentation of track suits to the Nottingham Schools Under-14 team with their captain RUSSELL SLADE in the foreground. He had a bit more hair then!

Untitled-Scanned-08_zpsz0jypkwq.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-09_zpsbgmgr3gw.jpg

Went to the replay at White hart lane,......what a tale that was,......mentioned it before but don't want to repeat myself..lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't miss this game on Tuesday 25th March, 1975 - Notts became the first club to play 3,000 Football League matches. As it rather ruefully pointed out in the programme, the reason Notts achieved this feat was due to the fact they had spent more time in the lower divisions than any of the other clubs of similar longevity. By a large coincidence it added to the occasion that the game was against Forest.

At the time Notts were above halfway in the Second Division, well above Forest. It was not long after Brian Clough had become manager of the latter. Score was 2-2, with Ian Scanlon and an own goal for Notts and Barry Butlin and George Lyall scoring for Forest. Attendance was just over 20,000.

I haven't included it, but the Carvery advertisement showed that the price of a good dinner had now gone up to £2.65.

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsa03wwzat.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-05_zpsrn0dwrmf.jpg

• Upvote 1

This just popped up on my Facebook .

A new film about Forest's rise to be Euro champs under Cloughie , called I Believe in Miracles . More about it here plus a list of the tunes used , as picked by Robbo .

http://www.fredperrysubculture.com/music-news/11063/john-robertson-i-believe-in-miracles-playlist

#46 merthyr

Some very good players there on both sides,.......George Lyall excellent had forgot about him,.....all British or Irish as well...even some Nottingham lads.

A game at Field Mill when Mansfield had already achieved promotion from the old Fourth Division and were on the way to the championship with a 3-1 win in front of a Monday night attendance of over 14,000.

Scorers were Ray Clarke, John Lathan and Kevin Bird with John Ward replying for the Imps.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsxfp62lzf.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsqk3ib2fy.jpg

Saw this interesting item on the BBC Sport website. The price of football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-79ccb1e7-d390-44c1-8857-cfcb0ade2595

It allows you to put in your favourite team and see the costs of match day or season tickets, team shirts, and even pies or cups of tea.

Being a Reds fan since being knee high to a grasshopper of course I had to have a look, 22 to 35 quid for a match or 389 to 633 quid for a season ticket!!! How does the average supporter with a couple of kids afford this?

No mention of my half time cup of Bovril on a cold wet and wintery day standing with mates in the East stand, level with the edge of the penalty box at the Trent End, during the sixties and seventies.

First saw the Reds when I was 6 or 7 in the mid fifties, my granddad used to take me and again in the East stand but at the Kop end. My earliest memory was of the Ivor Thirst, Shipstones man who's rattle used to blink red then off giving the impression it was going round and round every time Forest scored. It fascinated me.

There you go MaggieH now you know how old I am.

• Upvote 1