Yup, just worked it out. You're still just a spring chicken compared with me...... an elderly spring chicken that is!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tidying up a cupboard, I've sorted through my old football programmes, and I thought I'd start to put a few images on here relating to the various Nottinghamshire clubs. Starting with my first ever

IMHO the problem with gambling is that it's just as addictive and damaging as smoking and alcohol. Smoking is thankfully in decline and as a result the government is receiving much less duty from toba

Crying me eyes out @ Wembley on Sunday, crying me eyes out in Market Square Monday, still crying watching clips @ the final whistle & the celebrations, can’t help it, think I’ve gone soft?

Brian Clough in his first full season in charge hadn't got going yet (or been joined by Peter Taylor), and although no league table is given in the programme for this match on 24th September 1975 Forest can't have been higher than mid-table. Only ten and a half thousand saw this 2-1 defeat by Charlton Athletic which was their third in four home games (including losing to Notts). John Robertson scored the goal, and there must have been some sort of injury crisis as they fielded a side with no recognised striker. In fact the only goal credited to a striker so far that season was one by John O'Hare.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zps8ed3qg19.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpspy1gnmuq.jpg

Forest trying to sign Liam Trotter from Bolton,all i can say is 'Luvely Jubbly'............Rodney and Uncle Albert would do at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Up-date on above..............Trotter signs....and SCORES...........'Who knows' where we'll be 'This time next year'.........lol.

Trigger

Grandad M.Pearce

R.Trotter Boycie Slater

Dirty Barry Uncle Albert Del Trotter L.Trotter Denzil

COME ON YOU REDS.

• Upvote 3

I used to like to go along and see Notts play Forest in those fairly short-lived days when they were competing on equal terms. This was Tuesday 13th April 1976. Score was 0-0, and the attendance was over 28,000 which must be the biggest crowd I was ever in at Meadow Lane. In fact it was bigger than turned out at the City Ground for the reverse fixture earlier in the season - probably due to Brian Clough having started to pull Forest around.

The programme was in a newspaper format for which there was a slight craze among some clubs at the time (Derby being another), but despite the amount of space there was no league table given.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsyuq6woou.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpse1js8hxr.jpg

Well, another defeat to a crap team. I hate to say it, but I think Freedman has had his day.

It's no use him saying we played well, it's WINS we desperately need.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Consider yourself severely smacked.LOL

Neither local side has done anything to shout about this season......... YET !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've finally found the time to bore people with some more old programmes on here.

Notts were still producing the newspaper-style programme, and I'm not sure why they were playing on a Friday night, but that's evidently why I was able to go along to see them against Hereford United in the latter's only season in the old Division 2.

Once again, despite the amount of space available in this type of programme no current league table is given but the stats page shows Notts were in 5th place at the time, plus judging by certain comments were above Forest.

Only just over 8,000 turned out to see Notts win 3-2 with two goals from Les Bradd and one from Ian Scanlon.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpslg6lqahc.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsgs28sqn5.jpg

Forest were in the First Division for 1977/78 and from then on I went to fewer of their matches as it took all the fun out of it when they began winning things! But I couldn't miss seeing them play Notts in a League cup 3rd round match on Tuesday 25 October 1977. Forest were league leaders at that time, and they won 4-0 in front of a crowd of just under 27,000. Scorers were Ian Bowyer(2), Tony Woodcock and John Robertson.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsl37pld8p.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsyw7jrdxn.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsiwipg5rw.jpg

After using a newspaper-sized programme Notts then went to the other extreme and produced one almost small enough to fit into the palm of the hand.

I went to this match on Saturday 14th October 1978 to see them play Bristol Rovers in Division Two. Jimmy Sirrel was back as manager by then, and Notts were mid-table. Result was Notts 2 Bristol Rovers 1, scorers were Mick Vinter and Ray O'Brien and attendance was just over 8,600.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsbdmhdggy.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zps5ozqvdzh.jpg

A Wednesday night trip in January 1979 to see Forest play Watford (then of Division 3) in a League Cup semi-final first leg match.

Forest won 3-1, with goals by Gary Birtles(2) and John Robertson. Watford scorer was Luther Blissett.

Attendance was over 32,500 - the biggest crowd I'd been in for years at the City Ground. These days no doubt it would have been an all-ticket match and sold out well in advance, but in those days you could just turn up to even a League cup semi-final and pay at the turnstile.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpslygwaa1u.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpslcenhyyu.jpg

In December 1967 Arnold, then an established Midland League club reached the First Round of the FA Cup - as it said in the programme, as fine an achievement as Forest reaching Wembley. I went along to see their game against Bristol Rovers, then of the Third Division (now League 1). Somehow a crowd of 3,390 crammed into the ground, and if I remember correctly, the game was played on a snow-covered pitch. Rovers won 3-0.

Of the players, I remember Joe Boucher was a prolific scorer for Arnold in those days, and Bobby Tait, the no. 10 was a former Notts County player.

Ah, thanks for that, those were the days. I was very fond of visiting Gedling Road as a lad to watch 'Marys' as they were still referred to. If I recall correctly, a member of the club told me that the game above was the one that funded one of the little stands at the old ground.

Joe Boucher and Bobby Tait were terrific at Arna'. Boucher was incredibly prolific as a good old-fashioned number nine whist Bobby was a clever and quick-thinking inside foward with a decent professional career behind him. The latter used to keep the Flying Horse pub on High Street in Arnold for some years. I believe he is still a local Councillor, living in the town. Curiously, I was once queuing on George Street, Edinburgh outside a venue at Festival time and heard a familiar voice in front of me. It was Bobby and his wife and we had a nice chat about football times in Arnold and beyond. Very nice chap and a talented footballer.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned the film/book 'I believe in miracles', the story of Clough's first division title and European Cup triumph? Just finished watching the dvd for the second time; fantastic!

• Upvote 2