• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tidying up a cupboard, I've sorted through my old football programmes, and I thought I'd start to put a few images on here relating to the various Nottinghamshire clubs. Starting with my first ever

IMHO the problem with gambling is that it's just as addictive and damaging as smoking and alcohol. Smoking is thankfully in decline and as a result the government is receiving much less duty from toba

Crying me eyes out @ Wembley on Sunday, crying me eyes out in Market Square Monday, still crying watching clips @ the final whistle & the celebrations, can’t help it, think I’ve gone soft?

A visit to Meadow Lane on a Tuesday night in October 1979 to see Notts play Shrewsbury Town in Division II (now the Championship). Score was 5-2, with goals from Ray O'Brien(2),Ian McCulloch(2), Gordon Mair and Tristan Benjamin. Attendance was 7,251, with Notts in the top half of the division at the time.

Programme was still a microscopic size:

Untitled-Scanned-01_zps1obpi0qw.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsbbsgdwjq.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsbybkzf2q.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sammy (Bob) lives in East leake now Stu,.......saw him about 2 or 3 years ago when i was running the line for a youth Team,(yes i can still run lol)

Inside left and left half in his early days,had great ball control...........but i reckon came into his own when he dropped back to centre half role.

It was a master stroke putting him back there, he read the game so well and strolled around in complete control! Hard man as well!

Watched him at Notts the season after too but his legs seemed to have gone a bit by then.

Still have fond memories of Meadow lane.Who can remember the team from the 60`s ? George Smith in goal.Bert Loxley,Dick Edwards,John Sheridon,Gerry Carver (who my dad still sees from time to time in Lowdham ) and who could forget the great Tony Hately and Jeff Astle.Keith Fry and Don Masson also.Those days Notts were lucky to get anywhere near to 2000 in attendance.My dad used to referee the "county cup" games between Notts.Mansfield and Forest.I think it was about 1/6d to get in.I still had programs from those days when I left for Canada in `76.Unfortunately they all got binned.Happy days.

Hey Stu,with reference to your post #73. When did Bobby run the Flying Horse? The reason I ask is that I am(was)related to Joan and Keith Robbins ( by marriage) who ran it in the Late 60`s,70`s and I think into the 80`s.They ran the old 7 Stars on Calverton Rd.prior to that.

Some of the early names I can remember from seeing Notts as a kid in the mid-late 1960s:

Brian Bates

Keith Pring

Alex Gibson

A young Les Bradd

Don Masson (genius)

Ritche Barker

Barry Butlin (loan)

Tony Hateley

A young Dave Needham

Barry Watling

Mike Rose

Bob Worthington

Jim Murphy

John Murphy

My favourite day ever at Meadow Lane in the old Third Division:

12366286_10207979361499547_5240494125003

Hey Stu,with reference to your post #73. When did Bobby run the Flying Horse? The reason I ask is that I am(was)related to Joan and Keith Robbins ( by marriage) who ran it in the Late 60`s,70`s and I think into the 80`s.They ran the old 7 Stars on Calverton Rd.prior to that.

I think Bobby certainly still had the pub into the 1990s and maybe beyond, mate. It was after Keith who I remember quite well being landlord at the Flying Bobbo.

I think he played a few games for Shrewsbury then finished his career with a significant amount of appearances for Mansfield.

What a good, dependable player Arthur was, versatile too. He lived on the Plains Estate in Arnold when he was at Notts. Very sad the way he died.

Stu #87

2 ex Forest players on your list Stu,with me I was more Forest,but have been to many County games as well over the years Dad was a County man,and I just remember Jackie Sewall,leon Luety,Gordon Bradley and of course Tommy Lawton,then there was Tommy Deans who I worked with at A.B. Gibsons on Sherebrooke rd,Daybrook,

Leon Leuty is buried in Attenborough Church Yard.

Hi there

Just a couple of names missed off the list from Stu #87 - Don Robey and Pete Burkinshaw - Bob Forest, Roy Horrobin, Alan Withers

Best wishes

Peter

For the 1980/81 season the programme had finally increased in size and as Notts needed to win this game against Watford on 25th April to ensure promotion to the First Division I went along to Meadow Lane (with only just over 10,000 others).

Unfortunately, the score was 2-1 to Watford.

What a shame.

However, Notts did win the next game 2-0 at Chelsea (how amazing that sounds nowadays) and their final game by the same scoreline at Cambridge to finish runners-up to West Ham.

Scorer for Notts in this match was Mark Goodwin, with Luther Blissett getting both of Watford's goals.

Untitled-Scanned-12_zpsz1biynkt.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-13_zpsuz6nozsw.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice to see new Notts Manager off to a winning start.

Edit.........to be honest Stu,had to google it....Ian Bolton that is.

• 4 weeks later...

By the time of my next visit to Meadow Lane Notts were back in Division Two, in fact at the foot of the table by the time of this match in December 1984 against Oxford United who were top of the table. However, Notts managed their third win of the season - by 2-0. Scorers were David Hunt and Alan Young.

Notts manager was Richie Barker, with Jimmy Sirrel a director by then.

Does anyone remember Fitzroy's in the advert? Can't say that I do.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsdpek2noh.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsmiddwewn.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpshj8gwjxe.jpg