• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tidying up a cupboard, I've sorted through my old football programmes, and I thought I'd start to put a few images on here relating to the various Nottinghamshire clubs. Starting with my first ever

IMHO the problem with gambling is that it's just as addictive and damaging as smoking and alcohol. Smoking is thankfully in decline and as a result the government is receiving much less duty from toba

Crying me eyes out @ Wembley on Sunday, crying me eyes out in Market Square Monday, still crying watching clips @ the final whistle & the celebrations, can’t help it, think I’ve gone soft?

Not been on the sauce or need new eyes but i do no how to say sorry  with out offending any one

• 6 months later...

I know we have to take some of the media reports with a pinch of salt but this headline surprised me "Bail out for EFL clubs"

The media is saying that division one and two players may be put on furlough and be entitled to government help to supplement wages to a maximum of 2,500 pounds a month. I really hope than no taxpayer funds go to the Premier and Championship league prima donnas that get mega money. They should have stashed enough away from their multi million salaries to look after themselves. The should be no money going to the oligarchs that own the clubs either. It also seems that many clubs are laying off their non playing staff, (those who are probably paid the least)

I believe it would be a good time for many clubs to get rid of their non performing players first. Would they have redundancy agreements in the players contracts?

• 2 months later...

Long time (and long suffering) Forest fan here.

My first match was in 1968, I believe. My dad got given some tickets to a Forest home game against Blackpool, and took me along. I was 9 at the time. I think Forest won 2-0. I didn’t start going regularly until the mid-70’s. I remember watching Duncan McKenzie playing for Forest before his transfer to Leeds. I had a break until 1981 (missing the absolute glory years), but I then went to every home game for most of the early to mid 80’s. I remember Forest  beating  Watford 7-3 (Can’t remember the exact score) in the League Cup. I went for a pee just before half time and missed 2 goals. Had some really memorable matches when Forest were challenging for Europe and in the 1984 UEFA Cup run. I was there when we entertained Celtic at the City Ground. I was in the Bridgford End and quite a few Celtic supporters got in there, but there was no trouble and some great banter. A fantastic atmosphere and when we drew 0-0 we thought that was it, but we won the away leg 1-0. I also remember watching the Reds play Anderlecht in the semi-final, with Anderlecht in their Purple shirts. 

I couldn’t afford to go much after I got married and had kids, but I’d try to take my lad along to a few games each season. We W ere there when they played Sheffield Utd in the play-offs and Dawson got sent off. Also, when they played Yeovil in the play offs. 

I hardly go at all now, but still follow their progress with interest.

9 hours ago, TrevA said:

I remember watching Duncan McKenzie playing for Forest before his transfer to Leeds.

During his time a Forest he did two separate loan periods at the Stags. Made a total of 16 appearances and scored 10 go0als, not a bad effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nottyash. I was born in Barrow so was interested. The name of Quigley brought back memories of sweet makers. Don't hear very much about Barrow so pleased they are doing well in football.

I don't know CT but as a child and through my teenage years when I stayed with my grandparents the name Quigley and Quiggins were always around. I seem to remember that they had a stall in the market selling sweets and local rock ( can't for the life of me think what they called the rock). Don't think I ever knew them but certain names even now take me back in time , I was about 5 when we left Barrow to come to Nottingham as dad joined the police force.

• 7 months later...

One of Forest's greats Peter Shilton has launched a campaign called "Shiltons Shirt Gambling Ban" in an effort to rid football of all involvement in gambling either by advertising or sponsorship.

If we look at the Premier League 8 teams have shirt sponsors that are gambling companies.

Burnley, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leeds United, Newcastle United, Southampton, West Ham United, and Wolverhampton Wanderers. Interestingly non of the mega teams have gambling sponsors but the logos of the gambling companies adorn the billboards surrounding the pitches. Even Forest have a betting based shirt sponsor and Stoke City is owned by Bet365.

I'm with Shilton on this one, what about football followers on here!

Peter liked a drink if remember correctly, always remember him barking out 'time, time' when I stood in the East Stand.

I stated a topic about Colwick Park greyhound's, recall Stan Bowles & Kenny Burns being there occasionally,  Kenny owned a couple of dog's, the name's escape me.

Thank's for digging this out, I look forward to reading it.

• Like 1

IMHO the problem with gambling is that it's just as addictive and damaging as smoking and alcohol. Smoking is thankfully in decline and as a result the government is receiving much less duty from tobacco than it did say twenty years ago. Faced with this shortfall the labour government cynically decided to promote drinking with longer opening hours so it could replace the lost tobacco duty with increased alcohol duty then finally they let gambling take off by allowing a huge surge in betting shops and online gambling happy to collect the duty with scant regard for the human misery it inflicts. Sadly there is no sign of the Tories reversing this as they too just keep raking in the duties. I stopped smoking years ago but enjoy a drink in moderation and am convinced I will scoop the lottery before I die so I don't view myself as a goody goody. I have however seen and read of people whose lives have been adversely affected by drinking and gambling excessively all assisted by successive government policies which in my view is simply immoral.

• Like 5

Gambling is one Vice ive never messed with.........and some people have ruined their lives thru it............

My DAD enjoyed a flutter back in the day as did my Aunts and Uncles...but it was something like a ''Bob each way'' at the illegal bookies........anyone from Old Basford old enough to remember a tiny shop run by a lady called Nellie Bisby who took most of the local Bets.......in fact she had a Penny clock and i gambled along with many other 10 year old kids on it.......

Then there were Bookies runners...we had one on Bestwood estate..name of Jack Paige who could be seen on his bike meeting the punters....it was all illegal back then...and more or less an Harmless Pastime for the working man like me Dad....................

• Like 1

Yes Ben, All the mining villages had their illegal bookies and runners and when it became legalised and licensed many of them became the legal bookie before the big end of town moved in.

Even as a kid I knew where the bookies was in my village and often wondered why the police never bothered them and turned a blind eye to their activities.

We are regular attendees at the sport of kings and only bet when we are at the races. We like to add a bit of interest by having a $1 bet on a trifecta in each race. Got the right numbers once but not quite the right order and missed out on $6,000. Off to the GG's tomorrow

• Like 1

I live not far from Southwell racecourse. I’ve been once, out of curiosity, in 60 years. I couldn’t  really get excited about it. I once placed a bet on the Grand National but lost so I never did it again. I used to have a dabble on the roulette tables at the Victoria Club many years ago but £5 was my maximum outlay.

The big problem with gambling these days is that there’s a hell of a lot of it online, which means anyone can do it - and they lose track of the reality of the figures involved.

If you’re betting with real money you can see it in your hand (or not). but when you’re clicking numbers on a screen it's no longer real money.  It’s much more addictive, people doing it in their own home and getting carried away because they’ve nothing else to do, and no-one else knowing they're doing it

The gambling firms pretend to offer advice and help, but they obviously don’t want punters to stop playing because it’s much more lucrative than running a traditional betting shop.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

.anyone from Old Basford old enough to remember a tiny shop run by a lady called Nellie Bisby who took most of the local Bets

Ben, whereabouts was her shop? Running through all the ones on Lincoln street in my mind, and can't place her

Southwark street Phil.........outside the gates of Pearsons Factory....later a snooker club where it stood.....

56 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Southwark street Phil.........outside the gates of Pearsons Factory....later a snooker club where it stood.....

Didn't get it until I checked you post from2014! She sold single ciggies to us kids! Now I remember. How un-PC is that?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

The gambling firms pretend to offer advice and help, but they obviously don’t want punters to stop playing because it’s much more lucrative than running a traditional betting shop.

Cliff, here's another reason betting and booze are treated lightly by the government;

this years taxpayers list, the top three; figure in red are the tax paid, followed by the individual net worth.

1 Denise, John and Peter Coates Gambling
£573m
£573m
£7,166m
2 Glenn Gordon* Spirits
£436m
£436m
£3,186m
3 Fred and Peter Done Gambling
£191m

£1,200m

Nuff said?

13 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Yes bought my first Cig there.......lol

On the subject, do you remember the shop on Vernon road along from the library, on the way to the Futurist. She introduced me to all manner of exotic brands(no sniggering) ; Camel (oval and tasted of camel dung) Pall Mall, long and sophisticated, Passing Clouds. And Picadilly, because we saw them being chuffed on "the Sweeney". All of them made us lads look the business - so we thought. Think the girls thought otherwise, though.

Most of the girls I went out with didn't smoke. Pity I didn't take the hint then, instead of waiting 40 odd years to have the heart attack!

• Like 1

Same here Phil......yes i recall that shop......my mate pinched a box of Liquirce allsorts off a display.. and the man came out behind us Laughing......it contained just a piece of wood.......lol

• Like 1